On a mission to like jazz
Dec 26, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #1,487 of 5,049
Yeah, Henry Butler is a monster, really rocks out that N'awlins style. And I pretty much love everything Steve Bernstein touches, from Sex Mob, to the Millenial Territory Orchestra, to the Radical Jewish Culture stuff he did for Tzadik. And, he's great to catch live in any of these incarnations.

Dec 26, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #1,488 of 5,049
Billy Bang - Spring Gathering, Vietnam: The Aftermath, Reflections

Jacques Coursil - Trail of Tears, Clameurs

Nucleus - Live 1970, Live in Bremen, UK Tour '76

John Coltrane - The Gentle Side of John Coltrane

I like jazz that has an edge or slows down the pace.  This jazz really moves me emotionally.

Dec 26, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #1,489 of 5,049
Mike Moreno – “Between the Lines”, and “Third Wish”.  Terrific jazz guitar releases.

Joshua Redman Quartet – “Moodswing”, Phenomenal release also features Christian McBride and Brad Mehldau.  Timeless music!

Dec 26, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #1,490 of 5,049
Sounds good...actually JUST got Mike Moreno "Lotus" in the mail today, ripped it, will put it on my Pono, haven't listened to it yet.
Don't forget Josh Redman and the Bad Plus CD, very cool.

Dec 27, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #1,492 of 5,049
Yeah, Henry Butler is a monster, really rocks out that N'awlins style. And I pretty much love everything Steve Bernstein touches, from Sex Mob, to the Millenial Territory Orchestra, to the Radical Jewish Culture stuff he did for Tzadik. And, he's great to catch live in any of these incarnations.

Yeah I listened to this album and especially this track a ton when it first came out. So soulful.

Dec 27, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #1,493 of 5,049
any good ECM recommendations ?

Dec 30, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #1,495 of 5,049
ECM, hmmm, how many years do you have?

Dec 30, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #1,496 of 5,049
just write 5 albums you dig that are not so known

like Three Day moon or who knows

not the keith jarrett / garbarek stuff

something left-field but melodic and not so known

Dec 30, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #1,497 of 5,049
Antonio Sanchez – “Meridian Suite”  (jazz record of year 2015 IMHO)

Dave Weckl -  “The Dave Weckl Acoustic Band”  (mind blowing straight ahead jazz)

Dave Weckl – “Convergence” (best fusion jazz record in past 2-3 years)

Marcus Miller – “A Night in Monte Carlo”  ( great live recording….Marcus a beast on jazz guitar)

Bill Evans, Mitch Foreman, Dennis Chambers, Chuck Loeb – “Petite Blonde”  (a very fun rockin jazz fusion record)

Pat Metheny Group – “Speaking of Now”   The last record with Lyle Mays and the first with Antonio Sanchez

Animal Logic – debut ( fun pop jazz with Stanley Clarke on bass, ex-Police drummer Stewart Copeland and Deborah Holland on gorgeous vocals.)

Yellowjackets – “Mint Jam”  (the poster boys for authentic contemporary jazz)   Fantastic musicianship all around.

Dec 30, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #1,498 of 5,049
OK, @proedros, here goes:

This is the Day-Giovanni Guidi Trio, mellow atmospheric, with a hint of the avant garde...
Mark Turner Quarted-Lathe of Heaven
Karen Mantler-Business is Bad (silly, fun)
Being There-Tord Gustavsen Trio (pretty, scandinavian melodic jazz)
You've Been Watching Me-Tim Berne's Snakeoil (getting into edgy, dissonant territory, rock edge to the improvs)
Carla Bley, Andy Sheppard, Steve Swallow-Trios (love Carla Bley's music, almost anything by her will be interesting, melodic, have a touch of humor)

There's so much on the label, honestly, I haven't heard most of it, too much to keep up with. These are some I have purchased and really like.

Dec 30, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #1,499 of 5,049
  Antonio Sanchez – “Meridian Suite”  (jazz record of year 2015 IMHO)

Dave Weckl -  “The Dave Weckl Acoustic Band”  (mind blowing straight ahead jazz)

Dave Weckl – “Convergence” (best fusion jazz record in past 2-3 years)

Marcus Miller – “A Night in Monte Carlo”  ( great live recording….Marcus a beast on jazz guitar)

Bill Evans, Mitch Foreman, Dennis Chambers, Chuck Loeb – “Petite Blonde”  (a very fun rockin jazz fusion record)

Pat Metheny Group – “Speaking of Now”   The last record with Lyle Mays and the first with Antonio Sanchez

Animal Logic – debut ( fun pop jazz with Stanley Clarke on bass, ex-Police drummer Stewart Copeland and Deborah Holland on gorgeous vocals.)

Yellowjackets – “Mint Jam”  (the poster boys for authentic contemporary jazz)   Fantastic musicianship all around.

Big fan of the Jackets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back