s70036.jpg

Midnight Murder Mania
frightmare.jpg

and just for fun....

Evil-Dead-Ash-choking.jpg

Jun 23, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #19 of 33
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grindcore

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=77:393

I remember the first time I heard the album Scum, from Napalm Death. As I recall my initial reaction to it was laughter. I couldn't really take it seriously, though it came recommended from a few metal head friends of mine.

Thinking of grindcore as thrash taken to extremes just doesn't work for me personally, which probably explains my reaction to Napalm Death. I can respect the music much more when I think of grindcore as being firmly rooted in the avant garde. I'm not really sure why I would need such a contextual framework in order to appreciate this music, but for me it made a difference and it changed the way I approached it.

I don't have an extensive collection of grindcore, but I do have several albums that one might consider archetypal of the genre. I generally listen to them when other avant garde titles are in my rotation.

--Jerome

Jun 24, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't have an extensive collection of grindcore, but I do have several albums that one might consider archetypal of the genre. I generally listen to them when other avant garde titles are in my rotation.

--Jerome

Same here. If you think about it John Zorn looked at grind in the same way.

Jun 24, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same here. If you think about it John Zorn looked at grind in the same way.

Agreed. John Zorn formed the experimental group Pain Killer in 1991 with Bill Laswell and Mick Harris (former drummer of Napalm Death).

--Jerome

Jun 24, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #23 of 33
So, what headphones are best for grind...hmm. I'm biased, i've got shure e500s and think they are great for most anything. I've listened to the new Pig Destroyer about 20 times with them. It seems if the recording is done well, then a solid pair of headphones should do just fine. There's a lot of grindcore out there that is recorded like crap. Obviously, a great overall performer is best, you need to hear clearly the double-bass and blast beats at the same time as crazy cymbals and of course, it has to be loud. Discordance Axis is great, SYNT is good, Pig Destroyer is amazing, and there are so many others out there right now either strict to the genre or incorporating grind elements in a more diverse style. I just saw Phobia last month but have yet to listen to any recordings, but they were excellent.

Jun 25, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I remember the first time I heard the album Scum, from Napalm Death. As I recall my initial reaction to it was laughter.

Funny that you say that. I just recently watched a youtube video interview with Justin Broadrick, who said that the only people who would come to the pub where he and Napalm Death played were "crusty old punks who would come to laugh at us."

Jun 25, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #25 of 33
Seeker:
I use Sennheiser HD650 for everything, but they work fine for this music. IMHO you want a beefy sound, but nothing uncontrolled, as much of this music already has bass in spades. I happen to like the midrange of the HD650, but there are some who feel midrange is more exciting on Grados. I have only heard the 225, as I own them, and find them to be very colored, and have a midrange honk that sounds snotty. Though that could work for metal, as Grado is favored by many metal heads. I would look into the RS1 if that is your vantage point.

Going another direction, if you want bass, bass and more bass, then I assume Beyer 770 80 ohm would be a great choice. Some feel that its bass is inferior to the HD650 though. I haven't heard it myself.

One thing to keep in mind is that this music is harsh with a capital H. You may prefer to steer towards phones that lessen the load of the high end.

Thats my 2 cents.

Jun 25, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #26 of 33
SR-71Panorama!
HAHA!
I agree with what you said...I was merely offering MY advice to the original poster : ) I am quite happy with my set up right now with the e500s and for the not-so-private moments, my Klipsch Forte speakers. I've actually never heard the Grados OR even Sennheiser. Most of my experience has been with Shure, Sony, and AKG.

Jun 25, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #27 of 33
I figure anybody who's into grind is all about the harshness, so what the hell, plug in those Grados. it's gonna hurt, but in a good way.
very_evil_smiley.gif

SR-71Panorama, any idea if Razorback keeps their own stuff in stock? was going through the webstore and alot of their older releases appear to be out of print (including the Frightmare album, it seems).

Jun 25, 2007 at 12:54 PM Post #28 of 33
early Napalm Death is the staple diet of all grind fans.

for earlier grind check out:
Old Lady Drivers
Extreme noise terror
Discordance Axis
Nasum
Dying Fetus

a couple of modern grind bands:
Agoraphobic Nosebleed
Rotten Sound
Cephalic Carnage (actually a blend of lots of extreme metal and grind)
Ghenghis Tron (cybergrind)
Lightning Bolt (noisecore)
Wolf Eyes (noisecore)
Antimatter
Cattle Decapitation (death/grind)
definitely Pig Destroyer
Narcosis

i like how grindcore came out of the crust and anarcho-punk scenes, so if you are interested check out Discharge, early Black Flag, Disrupt.....

i listen on any of my headphones, to be honest, grind isn't known for its awesome sound quality...

Jun 25, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by eastsidemetalhd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I figure anybody who's into grind is all about the harshness, so what the hell, plug in those Grados. it's gonna hurt, but in a good way.
very_evil_smiley.gif

SR-71Panorama, any idea if Razorback keeps their own stuff in stock? was going through the webstore and alot of their older releases appear to be out of print (including the Frightmare album, it seems).

Yes and no. From what I can tell they are a small, new label, and as such, only print X amount of copies of albums, in "runs". I think once they sell out, they either print more, or allow the item to be out of stock for months at a time, unfortunatley. The positive thing is they seem to value quality over quantity, in regards to who they sign, and the prices are usually around 10 bucks. Shipping is factored into price too. I just bought 3 cds there again; bloodduster, bloodfreak and another release from The Day Everything Became Nothing. My advice is to buy whatever you may want while it is available.

Also, I just checked the site and it appears [size=medium]FRIGHTMARE IS BACK IN STOCK[/size]
I cant recommend frightmare enough. They rock my world. I was able to find lyrics online a while back for the second album, and that makes it even more enjoyable. Note that they are not for the faint of heart, lol.

Jun 26, 2007 at 1:07 PM Post #30 of 33
Sennheiser hd600 for grind and everything else. More bass than my hd595 delivers and overall better sounding.

I thought good grind died with Carcass but Frightmare and See You Next Tuesday are great. Nice learning about new bands, thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back