Okay... what the heck... argghhh... what's the REAL deal with RE0?
Nov 11, 2009 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

TopPop

Headphoneus Supremus
I hate this. I hate this! I HATE THIS!!

This addiction... argghhh...

So what's the real deal with the RE0? Is it really as good as people say it is? I've read all the reviews, but I'm skeptical, to be honest. I recently picked up (or, recently received, at least) a pair of SoundMAGIC PL50. While I'm enjoying these earphones quite a bit, I'm also wondering if I'm missing out on something by not jumping on the $79 RE0 bandwagon.

I listen mainly to a lot of folk, acoustic, vocal-centric music, so my main headphones are HD600 (which I still think was the best purchase I've ever made!). Smoothness, soundstage, and comfort are the keys for me. I enjoy the PL50 for its smoothness, and sounds a lot like the HD600 in many respects (when properly equalized)... however... wandering eyes...

So, I guess I'd like to know from those who have extensive experience with both the RE0 as well as other decent earphones and headphones (especially HD600), if these bargain canal phones are really all their cracked up to be... will I be missing out on much by sticking with the PL50 (which I already know I like), or is the RE0 not really up my alley??
confused_face.gif

Nov 11, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #3 of 30
Lol, pretty much summed up my thoughts. Same headphones, same dilemma.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also just bought my PL50s, and are happy with them. But 79 bucks, that IS tempting.

This can't be healthy.

Nov 11, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 30
I might add that I do not enjoy the following headphones & earphones, all for the same reason... emphasis on treble:

-DT880 300ohm
-K-701
-Altec Lansing i716

So... is the RE0 more similar to these phones then the HD600? If so, they wouldn't be my cup of tea. I realize that many people like these phones, but I'm not one of those.

Nov 11, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by mythless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get it, you'll love it!

Yes, but why? If it's because of their ability to retrieve gobs of detail, I'm not swayed. The phones mentioned above also can do this well... and is one of the main reasons people like them... however, I don't like them because they sound too analytical, and the treble hurts my ears.

Does the RE0 fall into this camp? Or will I "love it" for other reasons?

Nov 11, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #6 of 30
Personally, I don't really love RE0 becuase it's just too neutral to be loved lol But I really enjoy listening to it, because it sounds so balanced and clear and because I can hear all the details in my music. It is not the most musical and involving IEM, and it is not the most textured either, but it's the absolute most neutral you can get, or at least pretty darn close to it. It does not have any emphasis on treble after good burn in (100+ hours) - it's treble is perfectly flat and extends perfectly all the way past the limits of my hearing, which is around ~17 kHz. Some people may prefer other headphones and IEMs becuase they are more musical (aka colored) and textured (aka with extra unnecessary harmonics), and I often do prefer listening to my Shure SRH840s and Roland RH-300s for those reasons, but RE0 remains my reference headphone to which I always turn to check how colored other headphones and/or sources and amps are.

Nov 11, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by prone2phone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
on anythingbutipod there is a review that says Hippo VB is as good as re0 , chek it out, man, they have variable bass and all..

I would hold off on that one until we see more reviews.

Nov 11, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #9 of 30
I ordered them too. The point here is portability! Nothing out there, especially for 79.00, lol, is going to come close to the vocal experience you have now. We need to try new stuff but remember those IEMs are a small bike in comparison to the truck you have built for vocals now.

Nov 11, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #10 of 30
Why nt put it in these term:

Get it at $79. On ebay with 8 % cashback that is about $72. Then, after thanksgiving and the sale ends and it goes back up up $99, if you do not like it, sell it for $80 or so. Sound good?

-nkk

Nov 11, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #11 of 30
They may be for you, or not. I'll tell you this, though: at $79, they are less expensive than some FAR inferior phones.

At $79, you're in the Ety 6i range, and the RE0s are several classes better.

Nov 11, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #12 of 30
As I indicated in another thread, for me they are overrated. Just not enough bass impact. Call me a basshead, but I consider the bass I get from my K501 to be fantastic. The RE0 is very analytical, no question, but I'm looking to enjoy music, not run lab tests on it.

Nov 11, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #13 of 30
To my ears, these phones are very neutral, neither warm or cold, though when I first got them they sounded a bit cold but after burning it in, the coldness warmed up to neutral. I don't find them too analytical to make them sound too displeasing and the treble is nice, very smooth, though I am still waiting to hear my PL50! I wished I still had my IM716 to compare, I enjoyed those aswell but difficult to based it's impression off memory.

Nov 11, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why nt put it in these term:

Get it at $79. On ebay with 8 % cashback that is about $72. Then, after thanksgiving and the sale ends and it goes back up up $99, if you do not like it, sell it for $80 or so. Sound good?

-nkk

Head-Direct isn't selling the RE0 at $79 on their ebay store, unfortunately.

That said, I really think you should give them a shot. They remind me of the K601 (not K701 - big difference) - same laid-back, detailed, and perfectly balanced sound.

Nov 11, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #15 of 30
I purchased them as an I-Pod portable IEM. I took a big chance and if they are really that clinical and no fun dry as cardboard, that's what my Brother gets for Christmas...........used headphones. My worst fear is they sound like other hyper-critical IEMs I have burt-out on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back