Ok Porcupine Trees guys...
Mar 5, 2007 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

MoreCowbell

Headphoneus Supremus
I was going to post this in the most recent thread about the new cd but I don't wanna be accused of thread hijacking so...

I really like the clips off the link, REALLY like them. So, I'll buy that when it comes out no doubt. My question is this: what else? Where should I start?

I borrowed my brother's copy of 'In Absentia' and have ordered that one. Next?

So what say ye...?

Mar 5, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #2 of 14
get the DVD Arriving somewhere, its awesome! Ofcourse Stupid Dream, Deadwing are awesome. I somehow like the older album titled Up the Downstair, but it has more of a stoner feel to it than a prog rock feel.

Regarding similar artists, Fates warning is awesome. You can check out some of the recommendations on the prog suggestions thread.

Mar 6, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get the DVD Arriving somewhere, its awesome! Ofcourse Stupid Dream, Deadwing are awesome. I somehow like the older album titled Up the Downstair, but it has more of a stoner feel to it than a prog rock feel.

Regarding similar artists, Fates warning is awesome. You can check out some of the recommendations on the prog suggestions thread.

Agreed 110%. Stupid Dream and Deadwing are both incredible. I personally enjoy Lightbulb Sun & Signify. If you really want to go hardcore, look into Metanoia & Voyage 34.

Coma Divine is a great live recording from Rome in the 1990s. I've dived deeper into some of their rare stuff which you may find on imports, check them out and their website as well.

Check out Steve Wilson's solo project Blackfield, I believe they just released their second CD.

Good luck!
k1000smile.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #4 of 14
x3
In Absentia however is still my favorite.
IMO, "Trains" is quite possible the best song theyve ever written.

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #5 of 14
I would start with Stupid Dreams, then Ligthbulb Sun.

But you might as well resign yourself, you won't be able to stop until you have them all!
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #6 of 14
starting with the most accessible stuff is good: Deadwding, In Absentia, and Lightbulb Sun. then just start going backwards from there, before Signify everything's very weird and trippy. if you like their older stuff like The Sky Moves Sideways, venture into some other Steven Wilson projects: Incredible Expanding Mind****, No-Man, and Bass Communion. Blackfiled is also a must, very accessible, i suggest getting Blackfield and Blackfield II while you sample the first three i listed.

everything's great. Steven Wilson is a genius... and i'm a kissass.

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #7 of 14
Thanks for the replies!

I ordered 'In Absentia' and I'm off to yonder record depot to see what they've got. I'm sure they'll have Darkwing and Lightbulb Sun, at least I hope so.

and yeah... I'm afraid you guys are right; I'm gonna end up buying the whole catalog. "sorry about your wallet" indeed...

but it's all good!

Mar 7, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #8 of 14
i highly recommend a sampler double seedie set called 'Stars Die - the Delerium Years 1991-1997'. it'll give you a nice smattering of earlier material, which has a psychedelic prog feel to it, sorta neo-Floydian, and flows quite well. Overstock.com currently has it for $13.91 + shipping ($1.40), a lot less than i paid for it!
http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....ROD_ID=1657943

Mar 7, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #9 of 14
thanks daveD, I did get that double set. I got it for $11.99 which I thought was pretty cool. The only other one they had was Deadwing. I haven't listened to the double set yet but I was up half the damn night listening to Deadwing. Great, great stuff! I'm a mush pile this morning but that's part of the fun, eh?

thanks again, all!

Mar 7, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoreCowbell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks daveD, I did get that double set. I got it for $11.99 which I thought was pretty cool. The only other one they had was Deadwing. I haven't listened to the double set yet but I was up half the damn night listening to Deadwing. Great, great stuff! I'm a mush pile this morning but that's part of the fun, eh?

wow, where'd ya find it at that price? it's rather different than deadwing, but i enjoy the older stuff more than their newer, harder, more metallic feel material.

Mar 7, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #11 of 14
How would the ep, Moonloop compare to the other Porcupine Tree albums you all mentioned?

Mar 7, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #12 of 14
it's a single of two songs from their first album, The Sky Moves Sideways. i'd just go ahead and get The Sky Moves Sideways, to be honest...

note: On The Sunday Of Life... and Up The Downstair were really just solo Steven Wilson projects with Porcupine Tree as a pseudonym, so The Sky Moves Sideways really was basically the first PT album. it's also much better than those first two, IMO!

Mar 7, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
note: On The Sunday Of Life... and Up The Downstair were really just solo Steven Wilson projects with Porcupine Tree as a pseudonym, so The Sky Moves Sideways really was basically the first PT album. it's also much better than those first two, IMO!

while it's true he formed a band after those albums, iirc the point of it was to be able to perform live rather than for compostional collaboration. i think it's fair to say that porc tree is still steve wilson's project.

Mar 8, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #14 of 14
The reason I asked about Moonloop is because it and On The Sunday Of Life are the two albums readily available at reasonable prices on vinyl. I really want to get at least one Porcupine Tree album on vinyl. Maybe I should just wait to get the new yet to be released album on vinyl...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back