ok, amp!
Apr 25, 2011 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Lan647

1000+ Head-Fier
I would like some help deciding what amp to buy. I'm strongly leaning towards the Burson Audio ha-160 (perhaps the d-version, not sure yet!), but there are also tube amps out there that may synergize better with my HD 800s.

About $1000 is what I can pay, and I'm interested in the woo audio wa2, the wa6 SE and the Burson HA-160(d) as stated above. Now, the Wa2 is supposed to be very smooth and musical, the wa6 SE more neutral sounding than the wa2, atleast from what I've read. The burson is said to be very punchy, fast, articulated and clean - but lacking the tube musicality.

I listen to a wide range of genres, mostly rock, jazz and acoustic but sometimes hip-hop and country as well. I do NOT listen to rap and what I'd like to call scrap-metal. I am NOT a basshead, but I want it to be there, and I want it to kick. It must never be thin and always with a solid punch.

So which one of the three above? Again, the amp needs to perform well in multiple genres, have solid, punchy bass, pleasing mids and... well, do the usual audiophile stuff greatly. :)

I would also like to know if there is a Woo retailer in NY that lets you audition the amps.

Answers are highly appreciated

Apr 26, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:
I would like some help deciding what amp to buy. I'm strongly leaning towards the Burson Audio ha-160 (perhaps the d-version, not sure yet!), but there are also tube amps out there that may synergize better with my HD 800s.

About $1000 is what I can pay, and I'm interested in the woo audio wa2, the wa6 SE and the Burson HA-160(d) as stated above. Now, the Wa2 is supposed to be very smooth and musical, the wa6 SE more neutral sounding than the wa2, atleast from what I've read. The burson is said to be very punchy, fast, articulated and clean - but lacking the tube musicality.

I listen to a wide range of genres, mostly rock, jazz and acoustic but sometimes hip-hop and country as well. I do NOT listen to rap and what I'd like to call scrap-metal. I am NOT a basshead, but I want it to be there, and I want it to kick. It must never be thin and always with a solid punch.

So which one of the three above? Again, the amp needs to perform well in multiple genres, have solid, punchy bass, pleasing mids and... well, do the usual audiophile stuff greatly. :)

I would also like to know if there is a Woo retailer in NY that lets you audition the amps.

Answers are highly appreciated

No, Woo doesn't have a public space for demoing gear - but they usually do make it to the NY Head-fi meets.

I for one think the 6-SE would be a better "all-rounder" (for a variety of genres) than the 2.  

But at this price range, it would be crazy not to consider the DNA Sonnet given it's excellent reputation as an HD800 amp.  

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
Quote:

No, Woo doesn't have a public space for demoing gear - but they usually do make it to the NY Head-fi meets.

I for one think the 6-SE would be a better "all-rounder" (for a variety of genres) than the 2.  

But at this price range, it would be crazy not to consider the DNA Sonnet given it's excellent reputation as an HD800 amp.  

unfortunately, the blue color is ruining it for me. im a design freak :p

Apr 30, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
Some people compare the Burson sound as "tube like". But IME it sounds better than tubes, with extended highs and a nice amount of bass. 
Just my 2 cents. 

To me, the Burson did not remotely sound like a tube amp. The Burson was fairly bright and when paired with the HD800 that is known for sparkly treble, it's not the best combination in my books.

Apr 30, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
To me, the Burson did not remotely sound like a tube amp. The Burson was fairly bright and when paired with the HD800 that is known for sparkly treble, it's not the best combination in my books.

Maybe source also played a big part? Bright is not among the complaints I've heard/read about the burson, not a single word anywhere about it being bright sounding... 

Apr 30, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
Maybe source also played a big part? Bright is not among the complaints I've heard/read about the burson, not a single word anywhere about it being bright sounding... 

The source was a Lavry DA11 which is not bright. Do a quick search and a lot of people complain about it being one of the brightest SS amps.

May 1, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
I've read quite the opposite, the burson being one of the smoothest and most musical SS amps. 

same here.

my experience with it further confirmed that it has a rather smooth sound, upgrading from the xonar essence st i found out that the soundcard is very bright, coupled with AKG K702 it was difficult to listen for more than an hour without getting ear fatigue/headaches.

all of that changed, no more headaches, no more ear piercing treble and i can listen to music for hours.

May 1, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #13 of 13
Good for you. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back