Oh no...I have to buy an MD recorder!
Sep 5, 2001 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Neruda

Banned Moderator
yes, me... the one who's been talking about how much better mp3 is compared to MD. yup, I've come crawling back...and you can thank portland's music scene for that one. Now that I'm playing...somewhat regular gigs, I want a recorder so that I can hear what I sound like and even make copies for friends/relatives/what have you. That could get tricky though since I'd need a home recorder and a whole bunch of crap to do that stuff...can I upload MD onto a computer? Well, that's not important right now. I don't need reccomendations for portables, since I've been around for a while now and I've heard it all (well, not the players themselves, but the reccomendations). I just wanted to raise the white flag of defeat and move on
wink.gif

And, for no reason, here's what I'm thinking of buying right now: I'd like to get the Sharp MD-MT99 since it's got MDLP but is pretty cheap compared to some players (I'd rather not get one of the Sony MDLP players because I've heard that Sharp records better and I need really good recording capability). I can't buy anything yet, but I think I probably will sometime soon...Just depends I guess. And I'd sure like to get some binaural mics to go with it. damn, I could CHARGE you people for copies of my gigs then!
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2001 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 40
All right, Neruda!

I don't use MD for live recording - so I can't comment on that.

But once you get used to MD - I doubt you'll go back...or maybe you will. Who knows?....

Anyway - the Sharp unit you mentioned is well-respected - I'd personally reccomend the R700 - the one and only MD I've ever used....

biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2001 at 7:53 PM Post #3 of 40
The Sharp would be your best choice for live recordings, according to an extensive review of the Sony MZ_R909 on minidisc.org where they have some comparisons with Sharp units. They note that Sharp units have better mic preamps and of course on the fly record level adjusting. But they give the overal sound quality, the ATRAC compression quality to Sony. But note that the MDLP compression uses a different encoder.

The review is at
http://www.minidisc.org/brian_youn/MZR909/index.html

Sep 5, 2001 at 8:19 PM Post #4 of 40
Sep 5, 2001 at 9:48 PM Post #5 of 40
They have three: the AM-F70, The AM-F80, and the AM-F90. The latter is just an R900 clone. But I don't think they'd work for me, for various reasons (mainly because I've heard a lot about poor construction). Nah, I think I'd prefer a Sharp. I wish I could try some of them out...

Hey coolvij, do you know of any links or reviews talking about the MT99? I can't find much information personally...

Sep 5, 2001 at 10:11 PM Post #6 of 40
Hmm....well for one thing, I'm almost positive it's called the MT90 in the states...
biggrin.gif

Let's see here...the best I could find. Keep in mind that was just 30 sec. worth of searching - a bit more time would surely turn up something...

Sep 5, 2001 at 10:30 PM Post #7 of 40
okay, well, that's the MT90, not the MT99. They're probably the same basic player except that the 99 has longer battery life and is MDLP capable.

Sep 5, 2001 at 10:57 PM Post #8 of 40
Neruda:

Glad to see... oh, nevermind
wink.gif

Sharps are the way to go for recording live performances, mainly because of the ability to adjust recording levels on-the-fly. They also (allegedly) have better mic preamps, but that really shouldn't matter, since for serious recording you should be using a mic with it's own battery pack.

For details on every MD unit ever made, check out:

http://minidisc.org/equipment_browser.html

The MT99 is here:
http://minidisc.org/part_Sharp_MD-MT88+99.html

Sep 5, 2001 at 11:06 PM Post #9 of 40
Gotcha, Neruda...
redface.gif

Well, MDLP, Sharp-ease-of-use, and an actual NEED....GO FOR IT!

Sep 6, 2001 at 2:37 AM Post #11 of 40
Neruda: I think you misunderstood me. I wasn't talking about Aiwa's md-recorders - the unit I linked to is a mp3-player/recorder with 32 mbyte internal memory and smartcard-slot, as you seemed not to be to excited about mds...

Greetings from SF!

Manfred / lini

Sep 6, 2001 at 6:07 AM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

mp3-player/recorder with 32 mbyte internal memory and smartcard-slot

lini, that would be nice for recording lectures, but it's no match for MD if you want high-quality stereo recording on the cheap.

Sep 6, 2001 at 6:35 AM Post #13 of 40
MacDEF: I just wanted to show Neruda an alternative, as he seemed kind of unwilling to get into md-stuff. Personally I like minidiscs.

Oh, by the way: Do you still want to meet up next weekend? I would...

Greetings from... oh, you all know anyway!
smily_headphones1.gif

Manfred / lini

Edit: Oh, maybe I messed something up... I'm not sure, whether this unit also has an input for an external microphone or a line input - so perhaps it's not an alternative at all. Sorry!

Sep 6, 2001 at 6:48 AM Post #14 of 40
I think an MD player can kick the ass of just about any MP3 player that uses 32-64 megs of RAM...but I don't think they can beat a HD-based MP3 player in terms of storage. because that's what I'm most interested in, personally.

Sep 6, 2001 at 7:08 AM Post #15 of 40
I noticed the Archos dropped in price at CompUSA today to $249...not bad, I was tempted to get one just to see what is so great about HD players. But nah, I know I'd hate having to search through the 5 billion songs that thing can store that people can somehow listen to all in one trip or whatever...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back