Oh my goodness... I can hear the difference between lossless and Lame V2 vbr-new...
May 10, 2008 at 2:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

cooperpwc

Headphoneus Supremus
I can thank the DT880/600s with USB Monica which are a spectacular combination. I was always firmly in the camp that the differences were at least irrelevant to my ears. I not only couldn't do better than 50% at guessing, I had no basis I thought for making a choice.

Suddenly with this new favourite combination, I returned to ABXing tracks with Foobar and there it was. Just that little bit clearer and more sparkling in lossless. My first ABX I was lazy a couple of times and only got 8/10 (likelihood of guessing officially 5.5%). Now the next morning, I'm ABXing a different track and I am already 5/5 (likelihood of guessing 3.1%).

Fortunately I ripped all my CDs in lossless before reconverting to Lame MP3s. I guess I'm off to buy an external hard drive...

May 10, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #2 of 9
Yeah, Monica be good.

May 10, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #3 of 9
It's the truth man... lossless... sometimes you'd think it's a joke, but then there are things that stand out; like the guy that got the hotel room and a bottle of korbel for post prom fun. I had that experience a couple months back when i was sitting on futon reading kant and all of sudden i could swear that the shins were playing in my room... it was at that moment that i became a true believer in the potential of lossless files.

May 10, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, Monica be good.

She really is. I don't know if you read my rant in another thread but the synergy of the DT880s and Monica is amazing. With the DT880s, she tames the overly bright trebles and gives that much needed little extra bass warmth. Most of all, the DT880s are a perfectly transparent window to Monica's organic mids. My god but she renders vocals beautifully.

And it turns out that with the right source, the DT880s are spectacular. The combination is so clear that suddenly I need to dust off those FLAC and ALAC files.
biggrin.gif

May 10, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #5 of 9
Nice!
You are certainly not the only one...

May 11, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #9 of 9
V0 for my D2. All my on-board stuff is FLAC, EAC-ripped.

...can't tell the sonic variance, but like my sig says.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back