Official Unofficial 8XX Discussion Thread - UPDATE SENNHEISER HAS BEEN SOLD!!! GT(heck)IH
Feb 17, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #991 of 1,479
This is sad. If I offered you a Mercedes for > 50% off and explained you may need to change the tires (pads) or tune the engine (EQ) to get your desired performance (understanding the tires and tuning were not ideal for everyone on the original) would you say no? This is assuming you were even close to considering the Mercedes at full price in the first place based on your means. There is an 800 series Sennheiser for $699 and the fact that so many are going to miss out based on confirmation bias and territorial pissings is so stupid. Never thought I could afford an 800 series when I started this hobby. Will continue to listen and share my impressions. Not sure this discourse is helpful. I hope you grab your favorite cans and listen to your favorite music tonight and smile.
I bought mine at $999 (Christmas sale) and couldn't be happier with them. They were my first step into "Mid+fi" headphones, and they're perfectly fine out of the box. However, to go back to your Mercedes analogy, you can option a Mercedes with any number of modifications, from upgraded interior to suspension, engine tuning, etc. If you want a pink, low-riding, 1000hp Merc, then why not, if that's your thing.

As for the sound out of the box, I guess people forget that headphones need some break-in/burn-in time before they settle. Gotta give them more than a day or two to make a decision. Hell, Drop gives you 30 days to decide and return them - use that time!

Feb 18, 2022 at 12:31 AM Post #992 of 1,479
Elex and HD8XX are very different headphones.
And I am not referring only to frequency response variations but mostly about the different type of approach/presentation.
I have both and I prefer the HD8XX but a lot of you might go the other way.

Feb 18, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #996 of 1,479
I bought em instantly :) and I just received them. They sound better than my OG HD800 imo. I like the tuning so far. I might have to play with EQ just for fun though after about a week. Balanced cable comes in today and dekoni pads next tuesday (im hoping for a surprise tomorrow though).

Feb 18, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #998 of 1,479
I got all the way ordering these to the very last step, and then my brain kicked in over my emotions. Cancelled order, simply because of the type of music I listen to. To the ones that ordered these I hope your main music is classical !

Feb 18, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #1,000 of 1,479
I got all the way ordering these to the very last step, and then my brain kicked in over my emotions. Cancelled order, simply because of the type of music I listen to. To the ones that ordered these I hope your main music is classical !
I'd not say those are good for classical music, no compared to original 800. I found enjoyable with kind of electrical jazz, prog rock, etc.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #1,001 of 1,479
Although I did not like the original 8XX purchase with $1100 out of my pocket (glad I returned later), I have to say the $699 deal is one of the best deals in the century. Drop sold 700 units just in three days and I am fortunate to grab one before the deal was expired. Even more exciting news now is that there is a very simple MOD which is to remove two stickers on each driver. With this simple MOD, you will get the even better sound than 800S.

Feb 18, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #1,002 of 1,479
Although I did not like the original 8XX purchase with $1100 out of my pocket (glad I returned later), I have to say the $699 deal is one of the best deals in the century. Drop sold 700 units just in three days and I am fortunate to grab one before the deal was expired. Even more exciting news now is that there is a very simple MOD which is to remove two stickers on each driver. With this simple MOD, you will get the even better sound than 800S.
Did you try it yet?

Feb 18, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #1,003 of 1,479
Just got my Hart Audio cable in, but I cannot for the life of me remove the stock cable. What in the hell. I've pulled with all of my might and no dice.

Any tips?

Edit: finally did it, holy crap. Felt like I was going to break the headphones. I hope i never have to remove the cable again haha.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #1,004 of 1,479
Just got my Hart Audio cable in, but I cannot for the life of me remove the stock cable. What in the hell. I've pulled with all of my might and no dice.

Any tips?

Edit: finally did it, holy crap. Felt like I was going to break the headphones. I hope i never have to remove the cable again haha.
I got my balanced cable but the R connector does not want to go in..... but once i took out the first time, the original cable it was so much easier to take off/ put back on (the og cable).

Feb 18, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #1,005 of 1,479
I got my balanced cable but the R connector does not want to go in..... but once i took out the first time, the original cable it was so much easier to take off/ put back on (the og cable).
Maybe it's because they box them with the cable attached, so the boxes are probably sitting in a warehouse somewhere and the metal pieces that connect together are expanding and contracting with temperature fluctuations. Just glad it's over with haha.

I didn't have any trouble getting the replacement cable in. Sorry it's not going in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back