Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Apr 1, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #1,741 of 2,001

Quote:

This beer recently won the title of "Best Beer in the World"

At $2.50 for a 7.7% beer this is a huge value beer I will be buying until stock runs out.

I found them here in Ohio!  Yes!  I paid $2.99 at the Giant Eagle grocery store.  I grabbed four, and there were quite a few left still.

Apr 1, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #1,742 of 2,001
I don't trust any list that puts Westvleteren 12 at the top of their list.  There is some kind of awe surrounding this beer which, when combined with the low batches, makes everyone think it is a gift from the gods.  I found it to be a rather weak example of the style, and there are much better ones out there.  I'd honestly give it a B/B-

Quote:
Best beer in the world? CNBC did a decent job with that slideshow I think.

Right now I'm in session with an all day IPA.

Apr 1, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #1,743 of 2,001

Quote:
I don't trust any list that puts Westvleteren 12 at the top of their list.  There is some kind of awe surrounding this beer which, when combined with the low batches, makes everyone think it is a gift from the gods.  I found it to be a rather weak example of the style, and there are much better ones out there.  I'd honestly give it a B/B-

Maybe B- is a bit low but I agree it is not that hyperspecial. I find a Triple westmalle or karmeliet even better and I'm sure there are many more

Apr 2, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #1,745 of 2,001
I've heard Westy 12 and St Bernardus ABT 12 are essentially the same beer, with that notion I wasn't impressed by ABT 12 the two times I had it. I much, much, preferred Rochefort 10. I think that's one beer that doesn't get enough love. As for the beer fridge mine is mostly stocked with IPAs and other beers with hop heavy profiles so I drink them fast, nothing worth nothing really just some Brooklyn East India IPA and various others. I wish I had room for all of my beer but I have over 40 big bottles like Firestone XV and 3 2011 Parabolas I have no room for in the fridge. I do have 4 2010, 2 2012 DFH WWS in there though and 3 2012 120 Minute IPA. I'll make room for the other beers I'm aging soon. My house never really gets over 60 F though and my beers are all stored in a dark closet. I'll take them out one day and get a picture.

Apr 3, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #1,746 of 2,001
Yeah, that what I also heard, the similarities between the two are really close. Rochefort 10 is an excellent brew, I pick up a few bottles along with Rochefort 8 which is also a very good brew. The one thing about Westy 12 that kills it for me is it's price outside of Belgium. It costs nearly your first born for a six pack unless you know someone who can get it to you straight from the abbay.

Apr 3, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #1,747 of 2,001

Quote:
I've heard Westy 12 and St Bernardus ABT 12 are essentially the same beer, with that notion I wasn't impressed by ABT 12 the two times I had it. I much, much, preferred Rochefort 10. I think that's one beer that doesn't get enough love. As for the beer fridge mine is mostly stocked with IPAs and other beers with hop heavy profiles so I drink them fast, nothing worth nothing really just some Brooklyn East India IPA and various others. I wish I had room for all of my beer but I have over 40 big bottles like Firestone XV and 3 2011 Parabolas I have no room for in the fridge. I do have 4 2010, 2 2012 DFH WWS in there though and 3 2012 120 Minute IPA. I'll make room for the other beers I'm aging soon. My house never really gets over 60 F though and my beers are all stored in a dark closet. I'll take them out one day and get a picture.

I sampled a Westvleteren 12, St Bernardus abt 12, La Trappe Quad, and the Rochefort 10 side by side and I preferred the Rochefort 10 above the others for its medium to full body, bolder flavors of dark fruit and spice.  Westvleteren 12 has great flavor complexity, but I found it a bit thin for such a high abv beer.  Abt 12 was right up there with the Westvleteren for me, and La Trappe quad brought up the rear, though still quite enjoyable, just not as complex as the other three. 

From what I understand, St Bernardus contract brewed for Westvleteren for a long time before the monks took the brewing back into their monastery.  After that, St Bernardus started brewing abt 12 based on the Westvleteren 12 recipe. 

Apr 3, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #1,748 of 2,001

Quote:
From what I understand, St Bernardus contract brewed for Westvleteren for a long time before the monks took the brewing back into their monastery.  After that, St Bernardus started brewing abt 12 based on the Westvleteren 12 recipe. 

Yeah that's basically what I've heard. I've also heard it's damn near the same exact recipe since it was conceived, I think only the yeast is different.

Apr 3, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #1,749 of 2,001
The St Bernardus 12 is one of my favorite beers of all time - if that is indeed the same recipe as the Westvleteren 12, then the yeast must be making a far bigger difference than I ever would have guessed. 

Apr 3, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #1,751 of 2,001

Quote:
Also, tonight after dinner: 

Ugh, good luck with that beer.  I really did not enjoy it when I bought one out of curiosity despite reading all the negative impressions prior.  Just a giant smoke bomb of a beer for me.  

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #1,752 of 2,001

Quote:
The St Bernardus 12 is one of my favorite beers of all time - if that is indeed the same recipe as the Westvleteren 12, then the yeast must be making a far bigger difference than I ever would have guessed. 

You underestimate how much rarity plays into ratings and praises. 

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #1,754 of 2,001
Beer is overpriced in Australia, I'm stuck with Heineken, Tiger and a few other cartons that are found at around $40 a slab.

Anybody here like any Australian beers? Used to love Toohey's Platinums before they lowered the alcohol percentage from 6.5% to 5.2% and made the taste go bad. It's a shame, used to pick up an 8 pack of those for a wild, hangover free night.

Apr 6, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #1,755 of 2,001
Haven't had the opportunity try any good beers from Oz but will gladly take a bottle of your Bundy any day. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back