Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Jan 5, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #496 of 3,702

It sounds like if anything is going to get me into tubes, it'll be the Vali. Then I can decide if it's worth it to try my hand at some of the more finicky amps.

Is the Mjolnir 2 more and less plug and play as well? I know it's higher end, but I haven't heard much about it being tough to handle.

Oh crap... there's a Hybrid Tube Variant out now :O 

yea I've no idea about that one! But I'm very happy you mentioned it! I've been looking for a Balanced Tube, well I've been looking for a FULLY balanced Tube amp [the kind with like 6 tubes] But  Honestly it might be something to try for sure! 

Jan 5, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #497 of 3,702
Unless something else more interesting comes out in the interim, I'll probably get the Mjolnir 2 in 2017. I also prefer balanced playback, and I wouldn't even have bothered with a single-ended amp except that I wanted to try tube rolling to make sure it's for me without making a huge cash outlay, and also because I love Grados and want to try tubes with mine (and since none of those are balanced without paying money for an expensive mod, or learning how to mod them myself, all I need for that is single-ended). The money I spent on the Vali wouldn't have gotten me the Mjolnir any faster, so it'll be a nice stepping stone for this year into next year. I will be getting a Gumby this year, again unless a more interesting balanced multibit/R2R/ladder DAC is released before I'm done saving up for the Gumby.

Jan 5, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #498 of 3,702
I can't give a comparison on garage but I can however compare the Vali 2 to my other amps.

I have (currently) sitting in my draw:

- Asgard 2 
- Graham Slee Novo
- Fiio E9
- 2 x Cmoy amp's by FredFred (Tube/Solid State)

Out of all the above, I have found what I was looking for in the Vali 2. It's a very flexible, well-built, alluring sounding amp with added option of tube rolling.

The Old Asgard 2 was in my chain for a very long time as it did it's job solidly and it would perhaps be an excellent candidate for a beginner or end game amp! (my opinion).

However, I wanted something more from the Asgard 2 that I now have from Vali 2. I have mentioned before that my setup is tilted towards a dark but detailed, warm setup.

It's a kin to my yearning of headphones, I love my HD600's but I'm more drawn to my X2's! 

But for me, the other important link in the chain is my Dac, my Devilsound has also stayed in my setup for a long time too and for good reason! I simply love it! My best sounding Dac out of my collection!

I personally feel that the amp will magnify the characteristics of the Dac but that's another entire conversation for another thread!

I believe, I've found my synergy here folks and this time I ain't afraid to announce it! 

For the record, my sound setup: Halide Devilsound\Vali 2\Philips X2's.

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #499 of 3,702
Given the price an the ease of ownership, I think the Vali 2 is a great way to start. Though if you'r looking to upgrade the Ember 2 would be the way to go imo

Hahaha, honestly I... had to SOLVE the puzzle that was tube amps. I must have bought like 3 multi meters the first time I tried to "roll" a tube into my little Indeed G3 back in the day

Ahh but yea, the Vali 2 is a VERY easy way to get into tubes 

But amps like the Garage 1217 [Also the LEGENDARY Blue Hawaii Tube also needs manual Bias Adjustments] an other finicky tube amps are WELL worth the time an attention they require, though you need to like how tubes sound in general before you can really enjoy devoting the time an energy needed owning an rolling them 

Doesn't the Ember auto-set the bias?

Jan 6, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #502 of 3,702

Given the price an the ease of ownership, I think the Vali 2 is a great way to start. Though if you'r looking to upgrade the Ember 2 would be the way to go imo

Hahaha, honestly I... had to SOLVE the puzzle that was tube amps. I must have bought like 3 multi meters the first time I tried to "roll" a tube into my little Indeed G3 back in the day

Ahh but yea, the Vali 2 is a VERY easy way to get into tubes 

But amps like the Garage 1217 [Also the LEGENDARY Blue Hawaii Tube also needs manual Bias Adjustments] an other finicky tube amps are WELL worth the time an attention they require, though you need to like how tubes sound in general before you can really enjoy devoting the time an energy needed owning an rolling them 

i wonder where that little g3 is now ?? 
my first hybrid was a bravo, that started the ball rolling 

i'm going to get another little hybrid now, to get some tubes back in the system, i'm a tube junkie, the gustard h10 i have is awesome, but it doesn't glow ! lol
i'm just having a hard time deciding between the vali 2, or one of the garage1217 amps, or maybe another ld mk 1+

Jan 6, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #503 of 3,702
i wonder where that little g3 is now ?? 
my first hybrid was a bravo, that started the ball rolling 

i'm going to get another little hybrid now, to get some tubes back in the system, i'm a tube junkie, the gustard h10 i have is awesome, but it doesn't glow ! lol
i'm just having a hard time deciding between the vali 2, or one of the garage1217 amps, or maybe another ld mk 1+

I have a Polaris. I was tempted by the Ember, but I was just afraid that I'd keep futzing with tubes and stop actually listening to the music. Heck, the temptation was there with the Polaris, as it's got eleventy-billion jumper settings to play with.

Jan 6, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #504 of 3,702
I have a Polaris. I was tempted by the Ember, but I was just afraid that I'd keep futzing with tubes and stop actually listening to the music. Heck, the temptation was there with the Polaris, as it's got eleventy-billion jumper settings to play with.

tube rolling can be a expensive, but it doesn't have to be. 
and it's using cheaper than changing amps 

Jan 6, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #505 of 3,702
  well I'm going to open up a can of worms here 

how many of you guys have purchased the Vali 2, as your first Hybrid Tube? 

I believe Vali would have been my first hybrid. But it was much more limited, with a single tube and high output impedance.

So this is the first I've been excited about in a much more general sense of multipurpose usage. With default tube, I can use my Grado. With the right tube, I can still use my HD800 (as was reported to be great with the original Vali).

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #507 of 3,702
  I believe Vali would have been my first hybrid. But it was much more limited, with a single tube and high output impedance.

So this is the first I've been excited about in a much more general sense of multipurpose usage. With default tube, I can use my Grado. With the right tube, I can still use my HD800 (as was reported to be great with the original Vali).

Actually, it had two tubes. Just a correction, carry on. 
wink.gif

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #508 of 3,702
  Actually, it had two tubes. Just a correction, carry on. 
wink.gif

Really?! 
eek.gif

Interesting...but you get the point. It wasn't a changeable tube. Single tube option... 
wink_face.gif

Jan 6, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #509 of 3,702
I got mine...

Mine came with an ITT 6BQ7A (Japan)  I haven't seen anyone else mention getting one of these with theirs.

I really tried to like it (the tube that is). I gave it a good 10+ hrs of listening time after about 5 hrs of unattended break-in.  All my comparisons was with the org Vali which I have loved for the last 6 months or more. 

This tube is a bit aggressive. Edgy  It alters the tone of the music also, especially the vocals.  Bass is good tho.  When I then tried it on the high gain setting, it was like, Holy Cow!  Actually, some content sounded incredible!  I listened to a certain 4 or 5 tracks on Dido's - No Angel album 4 times in a row. 
eek.gif
  But no, you can't run it on high gain.  Not this tube. Not with my setup anyway. It's just too fatiguing. Actually, even on low gain too.  I'm not real happy with it.

So, this is my current chain..
Emotiva ERC-3 (CD Player) > Emotiva Control Freak > SYS > Vali/Vali2 > Oyaide cable > Fidelio X2s (WOOX Edition)
Patch cords are all of higher quality - a couple diff brands.

I could tell though, that this thing had potential. There were things I was hearing that I liked over the org Vali.

Enter the Electro-Harmonix 6922 EH (Russia)

This guy sounds sa_weet!  Nice soundstage & air. (a noticeable improvement) The clarity is ever apparent. Vocal's really stand out. And the bass, oh the bass!  It sounds like it stays flatter, deeper. Nice and tight, and punchy when called for. I'm using it on the low gain setting of course and it's all dead silent between tracks.  It's a fabulous sounding tube to me, especially when compared to the stock one I received with mine. The "tone" is correct with this one too.  Natural sounding and what I'm used to hearing.  Warmer than the ITT fer sure.

This would be a good one to try for those still wanting to do some tube rolling and maybe haven't, and it's not that expensive.

I also have an Electro-Harmonix 6CG7 headed my way.  It should be a great battle.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #510 of 3,702
  Unless something else more interesting comes out in the interim, I'll probably get the Mjolnir 2 in 2017. I also prefer balanced playback, and I wouldn't even have bothered with a single-ended amp except that I wanted to try tube rolling to make sure it's for me without making a huge cash outlay, and also because I love Grados and want to try tubes with mine (and since none of those are balanced without paying money for an expensive mod, or learning how to mod them myself, all I need for that is single-ended). The money I spent on the Vali wouldn't have gotten me the Mjolnir any faster, so it'll be a nice stepping stone for this year into next year. I will be getting a Gumby this year, again unless a more interesting balanced multibit/R2R/ladder DAC is released before I'm done saving up for the Gumby.

I want to try the Mjolnir my self as well, purely in terms of Price to Performance, the Vali 2 is really stunning, while I think the more Starlight II is better sounding, it lacks the power. My point being, given the price point an the fact that is has tubes... it would be a nice option for powering all my balanced low impedance headphones 

yea that is true, the Higher End G1217 Tubes auto set bias lol honestly that's a major relief though I'm kinda in the same boat. I like... rather crazily adjust my settings on the G1217 for like 2 hours after I got it xD 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back