Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Dec 20, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #241 of 3,702
  Honestly, I kinda like the sound of the TH X00 with the Vali 2, though I have Alpha Pads which give the TH X00 a drier sound than staock pads

I have to agree with your assessment.Read my comments farther back.This is NOT a syrupy,rolled off amp.I would be willing to bet Pinks this amp would sound KILLER with Senn 650's or other "lush"sounding cans!

Dec 20, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #243 of 3,702
I dunno who says tubes can't work with warmer, lusher headphones. My old Lyr + LCD-2 (pre-fazor) was absolutely godlike. I"m wondering if an EL-8 + Vali 2 will be kind of a mini version of that.

Dec 20, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #244 of 3,702
  I dunno who says tubes can't work with warmer, lusher headphones. My old Lyr + LCD-2 (pre-fazor) was absolutely godlike. I"m wondering if an EL-8 + Vali 2 will be kind of a mini version of that.

The problem is many cheap tube amps do sound syrupy & rolled off which is a REAL bad match with lush sounding cans.

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #246 of 3,702
  i wonder if anyone have any comparisons between the garage1217 amps vs the vali2?

Ehm I can help you with that! I have the Starlight from 1217 an the Vali 2, an

the Starlight is POWERFUL, with stock tubes it adds a nice HEFT of sub bass, very SOLID low end the kind that REALLY makes the drums KICK, aside from that really powerful bass the mids an treble are fairly clean

The Vali 2 is a little different, it's got a nice touch of warmth to the mid range, which dips into the mid bass just a touch, so you get thicker vocals an guitars an a very beautiful upper mid range as well! 

Build quality though is better on the Starlight, in addition the starlight is also a blacker with a finer volume adjustment [oh an the Vali 2 TINKS when u plug ur headphones in] 

both have good sound stage, with adequate depth, good layering an width how ever, I do find the Vali 2 to have a quick dynamic shift 

So really :/ it's a tough call they are both excellent amps 

Oh I will say there is SOME EDM that does NOT play well with the Starlight an the Th X00 xD bass get's like WHOA that's A LOT to quick 

I have to agree with your assessment.Read my comments farther back.This is NOT a syrupy,rolled off amp.I would be willing to bet Pinks this amp would sound KILLER with Senn 650's or other "lush"sounding cans!

The problem is many cheap tube amps do sound syrupy & rolled off which is a REAL bad match with lush sounding cans.

yea, though now a days it seems there's less an less of those. 

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #247 of 3,702

Ehm I can help you with that! I have the Starlight from 1217 an the Vali 2, an

the Starlight is POWERFUL, with stock tubes it adds a nice HEFT of sub bass, very SOLID low end the kind that REALLY makes the drums KICK, aside from that really powerful bass the mids an treble are fairly clean

The Vali 2 is a little different, it's got a nice touch of warmth to the mid range, which dips into the mid bass just a touch, so you get thicker vocals an guitars an a very beautiful upper mid range as well! 

Build quality though is better on the Starlight, in addition the starlight is also a blacker with a finer volume adjustment [oh an the Vali 2 TINKS when u plug ur headphones in] 

both have good sound stage, with adequate depth, good layering an width how ever, I do find the Vali 2 to have a quick dynamic shift 

So really :/ it's a tough call they are both excellent amps 

Oh I will say there is SOME EDM that does NOT play well with the Starlight an the Th X00 xD bass get's like WHOA that's A LOT to quick 

yea, though now a days it seems there's less an less of those. 

Have you heard either of these amps with the hd650?  I'm trying to decide between the Starlight and Vali 2 myself.  I believe the Starlight has more tube rolling options though too, if I'm correct?

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #248 of 3,702

Have you heard either of these amps with the hd650?  I'm trying to decide between the Starlight and Vali 2 myself.  I believe the Starlight has more tube rolling options though too, if I'm correct?

No sadly I've not, :/

I'll put it to you this way

If you've owned a tube amp an your into the "tube" hobby grab the Starlight, an be ready to adjust your bais daily, an try at least like 10 tubes in a week to find the right one! Oh an don't forget about rolling the Op Amps to :D you'll need to customize that to once you find the right tube!

If you  have not owned a tube amp, an you've never rolled tubes or op amps an your not crazy about having a small collection of tubes, go with the Vali 2 

Really in all honesty the Schiit Vali 2 is to Hybrid Tubes what the iPhone is to Smart phones, an the Starlight 2 would be the LG V10 

With one, you NEED to customize it to get the VERY BEST out of it, an it's a heck of a great amp to tinker with! The other, if you NEVER changed a thing it would still be an awesome value 

The Starlight demands that you customize an tinker with it to reach it's best,
the Vali 2 has options to build on an already established base 

That said, if your willing to put in the time an money needed to find the right combination of tubes op Amps an gain settings,  the Starlight will out shine the Vali 2,
if how ever you lack time, or just want a simpler amp to own an operate than the Vali 2 will suit you better 

These are like legit an apple vs android kind of face off imo 

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #249 of 3,702
  No sadly I've not, :/

I'll put it to you this way

If you've owned a tube amp an your into the "tube" hobby grab the Starlight, an be ready to adjust your bais daily, an try at least like 10 tubes in a week to find the right one! Oh an don't forget about rolling the Op Amps to :D you'll need to customize that to once you find the right tube!

If you  have not owned a tube amp, an you've never rolled tubes or op amps an your not crazy about having a small collection of tubes, go with the Vali 2 

Really in all honesty the Schiit Vali 2 is to Hybrid Tubes what the iPhone is to Smart phones, an the Starlight 2 would be the LG V10 

With one, you NEED to customize it to get the VERY BEST out of it, an it's a heck of a great amp to tinker with! The other, if you NEVER changed a thing it would still be an awesome value 

The Starlight demands that you customize an tinker with it to reach it's best,
the Vali 2 has options to build on an already established base 

That said, if your willing to put in the time an money needed to find the right combination of tubes op Amps an gain settings,  the Starlight will out shine the Vali 2,
if how ever you lack time, or just want a simpler amp to own an operate than the Vali 2 will suit you better 

These are like legit an apple vs android kind of face off imo 

Thanks!  I already have a "it just works" amp in the Magni 2 Uber.  Though I've never owned a tube amp so that does seem like a daunting procedure for the Starlight.

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #250 of 3,702
Let me ask you guys this.I have enough experience with tubes to doubt that tube rolling is going to warm the Vali 2 up enough for my taste.Is there an ALL Tube(will except SS Rectification)that would be satisfy my needs between the price of the Vali 2 & Valahalla 2?I've been looking at this    
s-l1600.jpg
      $225.00 amp all night but there's ZERO intel on it's build quality or sound.One thing I do know is I have on hand a 1953 Mullard/Blackburn 12AX7 with Long Ribbed Plates & perfectly balanced Triodes along with a Perfectly Matched & Balanced pair of Mullard Brimar/Blackburn 6v6GT's from an old amp & buddy those tubes were made on Mt.Olympus & would plug right in to it.Maybe I should keep the Vali2 & upgrade my cans to LCD-2's or HE-560's?AHHHHHHHHHH!

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #251 of 3,702

Thanks!  I already have a "it just works" amp in the Magni 2 Uber.  Though I've never owned a tube amp so that does seem like a daunting procedure for the Starlight.

It's really not actually, you'll need a set of Jewelers screws to adjust the bais, an it actually has a LED indicator to let you know when the Bias is right for each side! With my first Hybrid tube I had to use a multi meter to balance the Bias xD I stayed up all night trying to get the dang thing workin 

an the Tubes just slip into their socket, the same with the Op Amps 

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #252 of 3,702
  Let me ask you guys this.I have enough experience with tubes to doubt that tube rolling is going to warm the Vali 2 up enough for my taste.Is there an ALL Tube(will except SS Rectification)that would be satisfy my needs between the price of the Vali 2 & Valahalla 2?I've been looking at this    
s-l1600.jpg
      $225.00 amp all night but there's ZERO intel on it's build quality or sound.One thing I do know is I have on hand a 1953 Mullard/Blackburn 12AX7 with Long Ribbed Plates & perfectly balanced Triodes along with a Perfectly Matched & Balanced pair of Mullard Brimar/Blackburn 6v6GT's from an old amp & buddy those tubes were made on Mt.Olympus & would plug right in to it.Maybe I should keep the Vali2 & upgrade my cans to LCD-2's or HE-560's?AHHHHHHHHHH!

Hifimans not really a "warm" sounding can any more imo, the HE 500 or LCD 2 would be the warmer cans to go with

additionally, the Vali 2 should be able to take a 12AX7 Mullard, I've had the pleasure of listening to them an they are really very sweet an warm! Imo 

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #253 of 3,702
  It's really not actually, you'll need a set of Jewelers screws to adjust the bais, an it actually has a LED indicator to let you know when the Bias is right for each side! With my first Hybrid tube I had to use a multi meter to balance the Bias xD I stayed up all night trying to get the dang thing workin 

an the Tubes just slip into their socket, the same with the Op Amps 

Oh, well if it is really that easy, I don't mind the little bit of extra work.  How much power does the Starlight feed into a 300ohm headphone versus the Vali 2?

Dec 21, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #254 of 3,702

Oh, well if it is really that easy, I don't mind the little bit of extra work.  How much power does the Starlight feed into a 300ohm headphone versus the Vali 2?

Roughly 125 mW, 

Vali 2 does about 250

Power is a tricky spot, the Starlight 2 has more output around 64ohms than the Vali 2, otherwise the Vali 2 has more power on tap

so it seems in terms of power  the Vali 2 is going to do a little better with High Impedance Cans an Orthos than the Starlight, how ever with Low Impedance headphones the Starlight is much blacker an does a better job 

Dec 21, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #255 of 3,702
  Roughly 125 mW, 

Vali 2 does about 250

Power is a tricky spot, the Starlight 2 has more output around 64ohms than the Vali 2, otherwise the Vali 2 has more power on tap

so it seems in terms of power  the Vali 2 is going to do a little better with High Impedance Cans an Orthos than the Starlight, how ever with Low Impedance headphones the Starlight is much blacker an does a better job 

How can I tell what the Garage1217 amps power in mW is?  Their website has it all listed as vrms, which I'm not familiar with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back