Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Mar 12, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #1,906 of 3,702
I have owned the Modi 2 previously and have tried the Fulla 2.  They were both comparable to the DragonFly in terms of resolution.  Perhaps a bit warmer with the AKM in the Modi 2/Fulla 2 vs the ESS Sabre in the DragonFly.  I would save for the Mimby as it is a noticeable upgrade over the Modi 2/Fulla 2/DragonFly and less of a lateral move.  Regardless, I think the Vali 2 and any of these DACs will be a great baseline system for your Headphones.  Improvements past this point will be considerably more expensive and incremental.  Again, just an opinion.

Excuse my ignorance but is the mimby the Modi Multibit?

Mar 12, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #1,907 of 3,702
Excuse my ignorance but is the mimby the Modi Multibit?

Yes!

Mimby = Modi Multibit
Bimby - Bifrost Multibit
Gumby = Gungnir Multibit
Yggy  = Yggdrasil

Mar 12, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #1,910 of 3,702
  Probably not the place for this question but what are the main differences between the Modi 2 Uber and Mimby?

The Mimby is double the price of the Modi 2 Uber, is this justified?

Yes, the wrong forum. You should ask this in the "Dedicated Source Components" forum in the "Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit" thread.

The price difference is not double. The Mimby is basically the same as the Uber except that it is multibit versus sigma delta.

Mar 12, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #1,911 of 3,702
  Probably not the place for this question but what are the main differences between the Modi 2 Uber and Mimby?

The Mimby is double the price of the Modi 2 Uber, is this justified?

Believe me or not, it is up to you. But you will not regret buying the Modi2u. It is better valued p/p and has a nicer bass IMHO

Mar 12, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #1,912 of 3,702
  Believe me or not, it is up to you. But you will not regret buying the Modi2u. It is better valued p/p and has a nicer bass IMHO

The Mimby is the better DAC.

Continue this conversation over in the "Dedicated Source Components" forum in the "Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit" thread.

Mar 12, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #1,913 of 3,702
I now have the Electro-Harmonix 6922 EH (~ $20) and the Genalex Gold Lion E88CC (~ $45) purchased from Amazon.  I used the Stock Tube for the first 4 Weeks and then added the EH and used it for another 4 Weeks.  I have been burning in the Genalex for the past 72 Hours and listening throughout the process.  I would say Genalex > EH >>> Stock Tube from a Warmth perspective.  I don't think I would purchase a LISST as the Stock Tube almost sounds Solid State in comparison.  All are very quiet with no perceptible noise.  I will most likely move backwards to better understand the differences before acquiring any additional Tubes. 

Mar 14, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #1,916 of 3,702
I'm using HIFIMAN HE-400i's with my Vali 2. The headphones are 35 ohms. What have others found to be the best gain setting for these cans - high or low?

You'd be fine with low gain. I think i have mine at 50% - 80% at low with my 400i's. I don't have any issues on high gain either though and usually listen to 25% - 50% when using high gain

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #1,917 of 3,702
You'd be fine with low gain. I think i have mine at 50% - 80% at low with my 400i's. I don't have any issues on high gain either though and usually listen to 25% - 50% when using high gain

Yeah that's what I experienced today when switching it to low. I haven't done enough listening this way yet but it does seem to increase the tubiness quality of the amp.

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #1,918 of 3,702
I'm using HIFIMAN HE-400i's with my Vali 2. The headphones are 35 ohms. What have others found to be the best gain setting for these cans - high or low?

For my HE-400i, Low Gain = 10 O' Clock - 2 O' Clock depending on the Recording.  High Gain = 9 O' Clock - 11 O' Clock.  Only use High Gain if you have the Volume Pot past 9 O' Clock to avoid Channel Imbalance.  Maybe an Urban Legend, but it has served me well over the years with dealing with Amplifiers with High/Low Gain Settings.

Mar 14, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #1,919 of 3,702
Quick question for anyone using the Vali 2 in hi-gain mode with "harder to drive" cans and speakers/monitors on the preamp out. Can you hear any sound from your speakers/monitors while playing anything with your headphones? I understand that the preamp out jacks are supposed to mute when headphones are plugged in up front. With my Vali 2, I can hear music/audio very faintly through my speakers while headphones plugged in. I practically have to put my ears right next to the speakers to hear it, but sure enough there is still some sound coming from the preamp out jacks to the speakers. I confirmed this with two different sets of speakers. I found this by accident when I was burning in my HD650s a couple nights ago and had them covered up, so it definitely isn't sound leakage from the headphones. I am currently exchanging emails with Schiit's tech support and hopefully working towards a solution.

I found that I can adjust the volume knob on my speakers so it isn't audible. Not really a deal breaker for me, but a minor quirk I wasn't expecting. I would love to know if anyone else can reproduce this.

My sound settings:
Windows - 100% volume, no extra EQ software
Tidal - 100% volume (or your music source of choice)
Vali 2 - Around 50% or 11 to 1 o'clock position and hi-gain mode (currently using Gold Lion E88CC tube)
Speakers - 50% (you may need to adjust this depending on how sensitive your speakers are)

Mar 15, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #1,920 of 3,702
Quick question for anyone using the Vali 2 in hi-gain mode with "harder to drive" cans and speakers/monitors on the preamp out. Can you hear any sound from your speakers/monitors while playing anything with your headphones? I understand that the preamp out jacks are supposed to mute when headphones are plugged in up front. With my Vali 2, I can hear music/audio very faintly through my speakers while headphones plugged in. I practically have to put my ears right next to the speakers to hear it, but sure enough there is still some sound coming from the preamp out jacks to the speakers. I confirmed this with two different sets of speakers. I found this by accident when I was burning in my HD650s a couple nights ago and had them covered up, so it definitely isn't sound leakage from the headphones. I am currently exchanging emails with Schiit's tech support and hopefully working towards a solution.

I found that I can adjust the volume knob on my speakers so it isn't audible. Not really a deal breaker for me, but a minor quirk I wasn't expecting. I would love to know if anyone else can reproduce this.

My sound settings:
Windows - 100% volume, no extra EQ software
Tidal - 100% volume (or your music source of choice)
Vali 2 - Around 50% or 11 to 1 o'clock position and hi-gain mode (currently using Gold Lion E88CC tube)
Speakers - 50% (you may need to adjust this depending on how sensitive your speakers are)

I had something similar when I used my SYS in reverse. I had 1 input and 2 selectable outputs and the output that wasn't selected still had music coming through very very faintly. When I asked if anyone else had the same thing on the SYS thread, nobody spoke up, I don't know if mine is bad or what, but maybe it's a Schiit thing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back