Official/ New York Spring Meet Sat April 5 2014 - Impressions Thread
Apr 6, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #16 of 163
Thanks to Tom for organizing, had a fun time. Took pictures on my point-and-shoot, may not be anything better than the ones already posted, but I'll download them in the morning and maybe post some interesting ones if there are any.

Apr 6, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #17 of 163
This isn't related to the meet other than the fact that @jude asked me to upload a new stand-up video. Sorry for the poor audio quality of the recording. I know you audiophiles take that kind of stuff seriously, but the mantle was the only place I could get a decent view.

Apr 6, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #18 of 163
  This isn't related to the meet other than the fact that @jude asked me to upload a new stand-up video. Sorry for the poor audio quality of the recording. I know you audiophiles take that kind of stuff seriously, but the mantle was the only place I could get a decent view.

I couldn't watch past the 5min mark. The cackle and harsh laughing made my ears hurt. 

The stand-up was funny ,but it was all over the place. He went from one story, to the next in like 2 minutes. 

Apr 6, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #20 of 163
a big thank you to tom for hosting this wonderful meet! 
it was a lot of fun seeing all my head-fi buddies and it was awesome spending time with jude,and his bag of goodies he brought with him.
like the bose noise canceling iems,and the production unit of the new oppo planar phone.
there has been some thoughts posted about the oppo planar,and i will add mine.
1st-the fit and comfort of these are simply outstanding. they are very light,and when on my head,i do not know they are there.
2nd-they fold flat which makes them easily transportable,and the included carrying case is really nice.
3rd-the tone is spot on,with no peaky sibilant highs,or recessed mids.
ok,now for the bad!
for open backed planers,these phones have no soundstage. they sound really closed in to my ears.
and lastly,as i was scrolling through different genres of songs,on a lot of tracks it was sounding muddy.

Apr 6, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #21 of 163
popcorn.gif

Apr 6, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #22 of 163
It was a great meet. I think it has to be said, though, attendance was mediocre this year. A lot of people didn't show up, and not just the people who were sick. Of course, who am I to talk, being the person who literally missed the meet last year because I wasn't paying attention.

I would say we had some of the best setups at this meet that I've heard in a long time. I don't know if I've ever been able to walk up to 10 rigs and even tolerate 5 of them, never mind actually really enjoying 5 of them. I'm not sure whether it was the large number of people running quality audio files on good DACs or the fact that every other station had an HD800, but there were a lot of good rigs at the meet.

The Lampizator with the monoblocks and the HE-6 really surprised me. I don't remember falling in love with the HE-6 the first time I heard it, but this rig definitely had some real "synergy" going on. It sounded great, one of my top rigs at the meet, although I have to say that dropping that kind of money on a DAC is not what I would do.

The Abyss was nuts. I know some people didn't like it, but I think it has real potential. It was obvious to me that I'd need to spend a few hours with it tweaking it to really get it to fit properly, because it didn't, but it definitely had some crazy detail going on in the mids and highs that really surprised me. In particular, I felt vocal reproduction was off-the-charts good. Adding more bass would make it very good indeed. I'll be interested in hearing the production version when it comes out.

I hope everyone made it over to ESL-1's table at some point because that guy had a real nice smorgasbord of stuff to listen to. I liked his Stax setup the best myself.

I got to compare the LCD-X and the LCD-3's on Frank's rig, that was great. I was amazed at many of the similarities. These Audeze have a "house" sound that transfers from unit to unit like Grados do. The bass is a lot heavier on the LCD-X's. Even a DT770 fan would be happy with these! Also as a side note, the number of orthos I see has really picked up.

This was my first time hearing the HD700 at this meet (I know, I'm really out of the loop!). The construction quality seemed excellent, and I loved that they felt light, durable, and fit perfectly with little "fidgeting" required. With regards to the sound, I was very disappointed. I really think the HD600 is a better sounding phone.

Oh, and if anyone was wondering what happened to my vinyl rig, the cart was out of alignment and causing distortion, so I will bring that setup back at the next meet because I didn't have anything with me to realign it.

As always, thanks to bozebuttons for organizing the meet!

Apr 6, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #23 of 163
I'll be interested in hearing the production version when it comes out.

The production version comes out... last year I recall :wink:. Unless we're not talking about the same abyss.

Apr 6, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #24 of 163
The meet was outstanding and got to hear some neat stuff and see some old friends. The turnout for this meets was one of the best we ad in a while. It appeared there were over 100 people in the room and it was busy most of the dat. Highlights for me were Decur's Teton. The Milett designed amplifier really sounded excellent. The  T1 and HD800 were simply outstanding with the amplifier. The Hugo Chord was  another highlight for me. Small with outstanding sounds and very dynamic. The lampizator Level Seven Dac priced at 12K was interesting with the 2A3 tubes and separate power supply. They were shown with a pair of wyred for sound class D amps with a modded HE6 on the speaker taps and they were playing some fine music.

The vendors did an outstanding job. It was great to see Mike Dias and the UE team. Mike flew in form irvine to support the meets and participate with their outstanding products. Jack Wu showed his terrific amplifiers and  had the WA7 with the new power supply there and ready to go and was  busy with people all day. Headamp Justin Wilson was busy as well with the GSX Mk2 and Blue Hawaii being showcased. Dan Clark had a huge amount of traffic with his terrific alphadog and Mad-dog Pro. Thanks Dan for modding my Alpha Dog with the Doggie-treats and making the bass tighter and more smooth treble performance. The Pro sounded excellent as well and is priced in between the alpha and maddog and a more fun sound signature. Making an excellent product even better.  Thanks to Jill from Eddie Current for showing their amplifier.  George Lenz spent some time with us and had a tube tester plus showcased some magnificent 211 tubes from Germany and told me they were  working on a new that may be available this year.

Thanks to To for organizing the meet and a terrific job as usual and to Jude for flying out and bringing his bag of goodies and just hanging and socializing with us. We appreciate his support.   Thanks to everyone for making this a  wonderful meets and already looking forward to the next one. Sorry for no pictures as I left my camera home.(wish I had it).  The 8 hrs flew by. Terrific seeing everyone!!!!

Apr 6, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #25 of 163
  It was a great meet. I think it has to be said, though, attendance was mediocre this year. A lot of people didn't show up, and not just the people who were sick. Of course, who am I to talk, being the person who literally missed the meet last year because I wasn't paying attention.

I  

Not sure what  time you showed up but easily Tom and I seen an outstanding turnout there especially between 11-1. We figured close to 100 people there. That room is high and can hold maybe 300 people so the room size is deceiving but certainly we had more than we did last year.

Apr 6, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #26 of 163
Thanks for the kind mention MD1032, I wanted to make the table an interesting mix of gear, leaning towards vintage classics. As usual I spent more time at the table talking with visitors than getting around but I did do some of that and heard some good stuff. I can't wait for the next one.

:)

Apr 6, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #27 of 163
This was another great meet. Thank you Tom for organizing again.

Quote:
   Not sure what  time you showed up but easily Tom and I seen an outstanding turnout there especially between 11-1. We figured close to 100 people there. That room is high and can hold maybe 300 people so the room size is deceiving but certainly we had more than we did last year.

I think it was because it felt like there was less gear this year, and a hole left by HifiMan. But I would certainly agree that during the peak time there was at the very least equal to last year if not more. 

Apr 6, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #28 of 163
Apr 6, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #29 of 163
  Hi guys,
Unfortunately i had a family emergency this morning, so i couldn't make the meet today. Really sorry about this. I know that a lot of ppl is very excited to try our new HE-560 headphone. I will try to see if we can plan something later to make this up. 

Eric

Hope everything is OK.

Apr 6, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #30 of 163
All,

Sorry I couldn't make it this time. Last week I had the flu or something that resembled it. Now I'm fighting off a nasty sinus infection and this Z-pak is not kicking in yet. I'm bummed out because I wanted to show off a modded Sony HAP-Z1ES that sounds brilliant, and where I am so far with the AK240 mods, which is also really coming out great!

I hope everyone has a fun time.

Vinnie

Feel Better Vinnie!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back