Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Oct 1, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #8,386 of 10,664
I've recently bought a 2000mAh battery for a 5.5 gen, now i notice apple provides a 5watt charger for ipods/iphones, a 10watt for ipads and a 12watt for ipads with retina display. Would it be safe to use a  12watt charger with the new 2000mAh battery to charge it faster ? Or would it reduce the batteries discharge time with usage or its probable lifespan.

If the charger has the same voltage you are safe to go, that only means (assuming its 5volts) that the charger has 2.4A since POWER(Watts) = I(Amp) x V(volt), 2.4A x 5V= 12W, the more power or Amperage the charger has (assuming same voltage) the faster it will charge your devices.

Oct 1, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #8,387 of 10,664
If the charger has the same voltage you are safe to go, that only means (assuming its 5volts) that the charger has 2.4A since POWER(Watts) = I(Amp) x V(volt), 2.4A x 5V= 12W, the more power or Amperage the charger has (assuming same voltage) the faster it will charge your devices.

I know this, but not really what i was asking, for instance if you use the 12watt charger on an old iphone4s, the battery heats up considerably, and when you heat a lithium ion battery it reduces its life span, so although you can do it, and it does charge the battery faster, it might not necessarily be a good idea. However with the 2000mHa battery, might be fine, i want some opinions or actual information on people who have done it. Does the 2000mHa battery also get very hot with a 12watt charger ? Or should i just stick with the standard 5watt that apple provides with ipods.

Oct 1, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #8,388 of 10,664
Can anyone still recall did Tarkan highlight their adaptor not compatible with SD card U3 version before October 2015?
I bought my adaptor with them in Aug 2015, and purchased the PNY 256 SD card(elite performance UHI1,U3) on 30th Nov, 2015, now Tarkan's support was telling the adaptor I'm having not compatible with U3 version card, their U3 compatible one only came out in Oct 2015...!

Oct 2, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #8,389 of 10,664
If you want your batteries to last, charge them slower and keep them cooler.  5v/500mA (like off of most USB 2.X connections) and let it charge overnight.  Especially with suspect (aliexpress/ebay sourced) batteries, you probably don't want to play around with dumping a high current through it - worst case scenario you cause the battery to swell and short (which means fire in most cases.)  IIRC from 5g and onwards, they advertised "fast charging" which was 5v/1.5A, but most chargers from the era only supported .5A and 1A charging.  Any any case, the power supply should negotiate with the device up to the device's best supported charging rate and not just dump 5v/2A or 12v/1.5A across the power pins (like a lot of cheap knockoff chargers.)  If the data pins aren't connected, you should get 5v/500mA

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #8,390 of 10,664
If you want your batteries to last, charge them slower and keep them cooler.  5v/500mA (like off of most USB 2.X connections) and let it charge overnight.  Especially with suspect (aliexpress/ebay sourced) batteries, you probably don't want to play around with dumping a high current through it - worst case scenario you cause the battery to swell and short (which means fire in most cases.)  IIRC from 5g and onwards, they advertised "fast charging" which was 5v/1.5A, but most chargers from the era only supported .5A and 1A charging.  Any any case, the power supply should negotiate with the device up to the device's best supported charging rate and not just dump 5v/2A or 12v/1.5A across the power pins (like a lot of cheap knockoff chargers.)  If the data pins aren't connected, you should get 5v/500mA

Negotiate is the key word here. When this doesn't happen every USB charger only delivers 500mA. I would be very surprised to see that an iPod classic can charge at more than 1A and I suspect it only charges at 500mA. But that's just gut feeling I didn't test and I don't have the equipment to do so.

Oct 3, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #8,391 of 10,664

How does this relate to USB vs Firewire charging?
I thought most USB wall-chargers just put out the same as the PC's USB, which I would assume is 5V/0.5A?  Is that incorrect?
And the firewire charger, which is apple's own, is 12V and, er, some appropriate amperage I presume?
Does it therefore follow that the firewire charger should be used sparingly to preserve battery life?

Oct 3, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #8,392 of 10,664

The charger doesn't "dump" it's the actual device that has to "ask" for amperage, manufacturers can control the maximum amperage the device consumes from the charger if they want without using data pins, i think you are referring to chargers that take advantage of the 4 stages of charging, those are the best chargers and make ensure better longevity of the battery.
A you can see explained here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6mKd5_-abk

Oct 4, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #8,395 of 10,664
Tried posting this question as a comment on the relevant page of Tarkan's site, but it doesn't seem to want to accept the post for some reason.

Does anyone have experience of using iFlash Quad + 1900mAh battery - 5.5 Gen thin back? Tarkan says:

"(1) When fitting with a thin caseback the protusion on the iPod’s inner frame needs to be removed (as pictured)."

Does anyone know or can take an educated guess at what is involved in removing the 'protusion?' Will it simply break off with some pliers, or does it need to be filed down or similar?

I have a spare 1900mAh lying around so want to use that. Also, don't want to have to deal with Alex and the 2000mAh again since my last experience wasn't great.

Thanks all.

Oct 4, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #8,398 of 10,664
  In real world usage the 2000mAh battery lasts about 50-60 hours.

Thanks. It's more than enough for me
biggrin.gif

I didn't know that fitting a thin case with 2000mAH needs removing metal part things .I am not very good at this kind of things. The thin case was one of my reason to buy tarkan quad.

Oct 4, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #8,400 of 10,664

Several of us on here have already displayed our Quads with the 2000mAh battery and the thin case:

The parts for my 320GB iPod Classic:

I used a 5th Gen 80GB iPod Video logic board, LCD, clickwheel and frame.
Tarkan's iFlash-Quad holds (2) 128GB microSDXC cards and a 64GB microSDXC card.

The battery is the 2000mAh from Alex.

The backplate is a U2 Slim Edition with a 6th Gen lock/unlock and headphone jack.

The red clickwheel is a 5th Gen, so it sticks up a bit, but makes no difference when in the case.
The 6th Gen (Classic) clickwheels on a 5th Gen (Video) logic board are slow and touchy.

The frontplate and center button are 6th Gen (Classic), so I filed down the edges of the frame.
I also added a small bit of soft velcro to raise the center button to sit flush with the clickwheel.

The finished product with a red Belkin Soft Gel case:

I have a bunch of movies loaded that I can watch on my car stereo's (albeit small) screen.
I can also use the iPod A/V cable to connect to any TV when traveling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back