Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
May 5, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #7,726 of 10,664

Sorry to hear you're in the same boat, but relieved it isn't just me.

Thanks for this. Yes, Alex Cheung is the ebay seller of the 2000mAh who is consistently referred to throughout this thread. It appears he used to be reliable. Apparently not so much any more. Did the 3000mAh work out okay for you? Fits okay, performs okay etc.? Could I trouble you for a link?

Thanks. Will give this a shot if the 3000mAh doesn't work out for some reason.

One here, but its not the seller I used, that seller doesn't seem to ship to my country any more for some reason.  But a search of 3000mah ipod on ebay,com turns up various sellers.

One I got works fine, was a little more fiddly to fit than the 2000/1900, but it does fit.  I found the 1900 worked fine as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3000mAh-Battery-Upgrade-replacement-for-iPod-Classic-7th-gen-160-GB-thin-/172178372756

May 5, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #7,727 of 10,664

Fwiw my 256 gig msata got corrupted once I accidentally let the battery get too low.  It seems the only way out is through and that is to reformat the msata drive (both mine and yours).  One trick with the 1tb msata it seems it to do a format in an enclosure and fully power down the pc before removing the msata drive.  Failing that it may be best to cut your losses on the msata drive and sell it on here with the adapter and get one of the newer options from tarkan.  Myself I decided to make the jump from msata to sdxc and get a 512 for the ipod video I've got.

Good luck.

Hello davidcotton,

well, today I was so confident and tried to format the mSata......  I followed through with the following steps:
1) delete partition     -->  Apply (the unallocated space -where the music was on- joined the formatted part)
2) create a partition  -->  Apply
3) recreate MBR       -->  Apply
4) format on FAT32  -->  Apply  (I hope that is the correct way to do it)
waited 'til it got done.....
turned off the computer - waited for about 5 hours (I was sleeping, I have nightshift today)
before I left the apartment - I removed the wall plug from the PC and went to work.

If I have the guts (and if I am still fit enough) I will try to format the mSata inside my iPod.
On top my 2000 mah battery lost some of its power already and it is not even 1 year old yet.

Yeah, I bought the 256GB PNY card, but I first want to get the 512GB PNY, so I will have another "BIG" ipod.
The dual SDXC adapter is already at home. I might even get another one before I will start my vacation in the USA.
I will visit a friend.  I might order even up to 3 of the 512GB PNY cards so  one iPod will be with 1TB and one with 768GB.
The reason is, in Germany you don't get the 512GB PNY cards.

Greets,
JULIA

May 6, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #7,728 of 10,664
Hello davidcotton,

well, today I was so confident and tried to format the mSata......  I followed through with the following steps:
1) delete partition     -->  Apply (the unallocated space -where the music was on- joined the formatted part)
2) create a partition  -->  Apply
3) recreate MBR       -->  Apply
4) format on FAT32  -->  Apply  (I hope that is the correct way to do it)
waited 'til it got done.....
turned off the computer - waited for about 5 hours (I was sleeping, I have nightshift today)
before I left the apartment - I removed the wall plug from the PC and went to work.

If I have the guts (and if I am still fit enough) I will try to format the mSata inside my iPod.
On top my 2000 mah battery lost some of its power already and it is not even 1 year old yet.

Yeah, I bought the 256GB PNY card, but I first want to get the 512GB PNY, so I will have another "BIG" ipod.
The dual SDXC adapter is already at home. I might even get another one before I will start my vacation in the USA.
I will visit a friend.  I might order even up to 3 of the 512GB PNY cards so  one iPod will be with 1TB and one with 768GB.
The reason is, in Germany you don't get the 512GB PNY cards.

Greets,
JULIA

Fwiw my 5,5 240GB msata iPod with generic adapter also discharges quite fast. When the battery is empty it can take quite a while before it is willing to reboot. I have the impression that when this happens it only wants to charge from my computer and not from the wall plug.

May 6, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #7,729 of 10,664
Fwiw my 5,5 240GB msata iPod with generic adapter also discharges quite fast. When the battery is empty it can take quite a while before it is willing to reboot. I have the impression that when this happens it only wants to charge from my computer and not from the wall plug.

As I mentioned before, I ´ve got a 5.5 iPod with a 2000 mAh  and it discharges fast. And it´s just a few months old!

My other 5.5 has a 1900 mAh battery which is almost eternal... I cannot discharge it. I think those 2000 mAh battery are not so good...

I use an iPad 1 charger  for both.

May 6, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #7,730 of 10,664
Hey everyone,

are the steps I did in the correct order, or did I miss out on anything?......

Coming back from work, I just put the mSata back into Tarkans adapter......
Happy me, it showed me, connect it to iTunes to restore.

Now the next problem showed up..... I clicked on "Restore" but now it wanted to download the "newest" software, hahahaha.
The download had a problem because of my antivirus program running.

After turning off the antivirus program, download went through easily.
Now the restore process started.....

After some while it showed me, there was a problem with the ipod and I should start the restore process again.
Taking the ipod off the computer, because the process did not go through.

Sad face again......

Maybe really I am not supposed to have a 1TB mSata iPod at all.

Greets,
JULIA

May 6, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #7,731 of 10,664
As I mentioned before, I ´ve got a 5.5 iPod with a 2000 mAh  and it discharges fast. And it´s just a few months old!

My other 5.5 has a 1900 mAh battery which is almost eternal... I cannot discharge it. I think those 2000 mAh battery are not so good...

I also have an 2000mAh battery so what you're saying is possible although that the iPod doesn't last an hour with an original (and a few years old) battery.
Hey everyone,

are the steps I did in the correct order, or did I miss out on anything?......

Coming back from work, I just put the mSata back into Tarkans adapter......
Happy me, it showed me, connect it to iTunes to restore.

Now the next problem showed up..... I clicked on "Restore" but now it wanted to download the "newest" software, hahahaha.
The download had a problem because of my antivirus program running.

After turning off the antivirus program, download went through easily.
Now the restore process started.....

After some while it showed me, there was a problem with the ipod and I should start the restore process again.
Taking the ipod off the computer, because the process did not go through.

Sad face again......

Maybe really I am not supposed to have a 1TB mSata iPod at all.

Greets,
JULIA

I've had the same problem with an iPod whose drive started to fail. After restoring it once iTunes says it failed restoring, restoring it a second time (without disconnecting in my case) worked.

May 7, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #7,733 of 10,664

One here, but its not the seller I used, that seller doesn't seem to ship to my country any more for some reason.  But a search of 3000mah ipod on ebay,com turns up various sellers.

One I got works fine, was a little more fiddly to fit than the 2000/1900, but it does fit.  I found the 1900 worked fine as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3000mAh-Battery-Upgrade-replacement-for-iPod-Classic-7th-gen-160-GB-thin-/172178372756

Thanks for this. I think on balance I'm going to go with the 1900mAh. The 3000mAh looks a bit fiddly to fit and the seller of the 1900 seems to be more of a known quantity.

May 7, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #7,734 of 10,664
Received my 2000 mAh battery from Alex yesterday and got it installed no problem. I'll report back on quality and runtime once I've had it playing a while.

Is the battery indicator in Rockbox accurate when a new battery has been installed?

May 7, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #7,735 of 10,664
Received my 2000 mAh battery from Alex yesterday and got it installed no problem. I'll report back on quality and runtime once I've had it playing a while.

Is the battery indicator in Rockbox accurate when a new battery has been installed?

How long did it take?

Thanks

May 7, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #7,737 of 10,664

Its not particularly accurate in the first place.  If its a 2000mah battery and a non mechanical drive it'll be even more inaccurate!

May 7, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #7,738 of 10,664
just out of curiosity.. I've got tarkans board with a 3.3v 1tb ssd drive. I'd like to upgrade the battery, but from the looks of those eBay sellers, those come with seperate connectors? just wondering how you actually instant the new battery I.e. like the old ribbon connection on the original?

May 7, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #7,739 of 10,664

I have some with 2000mah, 1900mah and 300mah, and all work as expected.

It might be the ipod itself - some ipods have a fault that means the battery constantly drains, even when not in use.

Somewhere, maybe somewhere on this very thread or maybe somewhere else, I read someone mentioning a work-around for that hardware problem.

May 7, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #7,740 of 10,664

I have some with 2000mah, 1900mah and 300mah, and all work as expected.

It might be the ipod itself - some ipods have a fault that means the battery constantly drains, even when not in use.

Somewhere, maybe somewhere on this very thread or maybe somewhere else, I read someone mentioning a work-around for that hardware problem.

Probably you are right, thank you. It shouldn´t drain so fast.

On the other side, buying this particular battery (not from the seller mentioned here) was a bad experience.  Seller was not reliable at all: the battery was MUCH different in size from the ad, which had pics stolen from Alex (He confirmed this) and not friendly and reponsive at all. And the battery arrived a bit swollen too.

So this battery was not a good deal but  probably this iPod has that flaw you mention.
Regards!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back