Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Apr 26, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #5,746 of 10,664
If I remember correctly, the iPod Mini Apple firmware has some problems. It does not properly recognize playlist folders nested in other playlist folders. Also, it does not recognize Compilation albums. Really, the best model is the Classic 7g 160gb flashed to 256gb or higher. Its firmware works the best with iTunes playlists.

Apr 26, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #5,748 of 10,664
I made one a 256gb flashed Mini as well. The issues aren't exactly "issues" related to the card, but with the firmware. The 2nd Gen Mini is older than the Video and Classic models, so its firmware has problems with nested Playlists and Compilation albums. Also, if you want to play Podcasts, it will not play all the entries on the list. It will play one Podcast entry, then stop and go back to the root menu. The Classic and Video ipods will properly play all entries consecutively on a Podcast list.

Plus, the battery life is also limited... you will only get 8 hours with the 1st gen and 14-18 hours for the 2nd gen. Compare this with the 40 or so hours of the Classic models.

Apr 26, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #5,749 of 10,664
  someone did a 256 flash with an ipod mini 2nd gen with no issues.

the 160gb is also a lot more expensive to begin with.

I briefly made a 256gb ipod mini, but decided it was a waste of the (slightly expensive) 256gb card to use it with the mini - because of the less legible display and the shorter battery life.  So I took it out and put it in a 7g classic instead.  The mini is nice and compact though, its quite cool to have that much storage in a small device.

I'm a convert to rockbox now though, actually now prefer its navigation to the OF, though I suppose its just a matter of getting used to one or the other.

I don't really make dynamic playlists, just make them in iTunes and export them.  Still getting the hang of foobar.

Apr 26, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #5,750 of 10,664
more than being able to make a playlist...

i really need a way to MARK a song, so that i can add it to a playlist later.
with itunes i was able to rate it and then sort by ratings and then make an ultimate playlist with all the highest rated songs.

if i rate a song on rockbox, how does that translate to itunes?

is there no way to do this?

Apr 26, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #5,751 of 10,664
  Actually I also found the ssd was very unreliable when synching, would have that same problem unless only doing small amounts at a time, which is why I ended up using a 5th (not 5.5) gen.  (With 5.0 gen and rockbox could just attach the ssd to the computer motherboard directly which is both far more reliable and also much faster).

Sorry, I thought you were saying the problem was you couldn't get rockbox/emcore installed at all.  The issue didn't seem to be due to rockbox as the same problem happened when using the original firmware.

I can't install emCore at all. Just keeps freezing at the 'formatting' screen (left to format for 10hrs+).

Apr 26, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #5,752 of 10,664
I bet your back will be just fine. Every place I have ordered a back from including the custom ones have been all good for me and some even come with screws and the frame around the dock connector. It is when you order the fronts that the quality is all over the place from what I have seen. I still can not find a decent screen cover for the 6 gen and up aluminum fronts (classic) - the little window part. Every single supplier has sent me one where they manufactured it assbackwards meaning the anti scratch part is on the inside of the case and the outside is so soft your fingernail can gouge out chunks of it. A brand new microfiber towel scratches the heck out of it, that is how bad they are. Anyone know where you can get good windows or at least some that are made correctly? I ordered a refurb one as a last resort but I want new if possible. The gen 5 and 5.5 fronts are all about the same, not perfect or as good as OEM but close enough. They are not as scratch resistant and the gen 5 and 5.5 were not all that resistant. The aluminum frames for the classic all seem decent it is just the windows are crap. None are actually new though from what I have seen, just refinished and look new. I had one issue with a supplier sending me a used click wheel when it was supposed to be new - if it doesn't have the release liner over the adhesive where it sticks to the board that is a fist clue it is used and scratches of course are a clue as well. I also had a supplier send me a used lcd but it worked fine and the fine scratches can't be seen after the front is on. I know I am pretty picky but new is supposed to be new. Also watch out for lcds that do not have the tape over the circuits on the back side of the ribbon. If it is missing put on something to insulate it electrically. I am betting Apple didn't put insulating tape over the circuits in the ribbon just for fun and being in contact with the frame over the long haul may cause problems.

you do realise all those replacement windows have a clear protective layer that you have to peal off...

Apr 26, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #5,753 of 10,664
  Actually I also found the ssd was very unreliable when synching, would have that same problem unless only doing small amounts at a time, which is why I ended up using a 5th (not 5.5) gen.  (With 5.0 gen and rockbox could just attach the ssd to the computer motherboard directly which is both far more reliable and also much faster).

Sorry, I thought you were saying the problem was you couldn't get rockbox/emcore installed at all.  The issue didn't seem to be due to rockbox as the same problem happened when using the original firmware.

OK. I'm using the SSD with a 5.5G iPod. I've successfully installed Rockbox, and now I wish to plug the SSD into my motherboard. When I do this it says the SSD requires formatting, however when plugging in the iPod, 930GB FAT32 appears in My Computer. How do I get the partition to be detected with the SSD inserted into the motherboard?

Apr 26, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #5,754 of 10,664

OK. I'm using the SSD with a 5.5G iPod. I've successfully installed Rockbox, and now I wish to plug the SSD into my motherboard. When I do this it says the SSD requires formatting, however when plugging in the iPod, 930GB FAT32 appears in My Computer. How do I get the partition to be detected with the SSD inserted into the motherboard?

Um, it won't work on a 5.5g, only on a 5g.  That's why I used a 5g not a 5.5g!

I think 5.5g uses the same odd formatting method that 6/7 does.

Though you can dual-boot with the 5.5g unlike the 6/7, so you can try and copy tracks using ipod disk mode - but, as I say, I found that was fairly unreliable as well.  You might have better luck.

Apr 26, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #5,756 of 10,664
you do realise all those replacement windows have a clear protective layer that you have to peal off...

Lol yeah... the reason why you can use your fingernail to gouge it is because it's a clear plastic film over the front. Once you peel it off, the plastic screen underneath should be pristine.

I've found that the aluminum Classic front plates are the closest to looking OEM. Except sometimes you get some plates where the click wheel hole is a little too big, leaving a hair-wide gap around the click wheel.

My problem with the aftermarket Video front plates is that ALL of them have bit of a "ridge" or where the plastic is slightly buckling, extending from left to right above the click wheel hole. It's unnoticeable unless you hold the front plate up to the light and let the light reflect on the surface. It's also more noticeable with the black plates than the white ones. The OEM Video fronts have completely flat and uniform surfaces.

Apr 26, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #5,757 of 10,664
Yes I regret spending extra on a mid frame to put a Classic front on my 5 because it ended up being plastic and the whole reason I wanted a Classic faceplate was for metal. It looks like the real thing though and at least it doesn't collect fingerprints. Got rockbox installed last night though so that has been cool. I forgot that it turns off the screen so it might be useful for more than looking pretty.

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #5,758 of 10,664

Wow. Just wow. I feel like such a noob. I tore off the protective layers when I first got them. I took another look and sure enough there was a second one that was on the plastic before it was machined so it had no overlap and was not as obvious. I guess the good thing is I have some extra lenses. The outside was a normal film that was obvious and I removed it. The first layer on the inside was some kind of black foam probably to hide light bleed through or just to make a nice black border and very obvious as well. What was under that felt and looked like raw hardware store plexiglass. After I removed the lens from the frame and picked at it I found the second clear layer. There is no way I would have thought to do that if you didn't say anything. Thank you. This means everything I bought off eBay was fine. Glad I didn't give any feedback as I held off before I found out what was what. I like to give everyone a benefit of a doubt before I say something negative about a specific vendor as you can't take it back once you do it. Well I'm off to give positive feedback now as they all seem good...

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #5,759 of 10,664

Lol yeah... the reason why you can use your fingernail to gouge it is because it's a clear plastic film over the front. Once you peel it off, the plastic screen underneath should be pristine.

I've found that the aluminum Classic front plates are the closest to looking OEM. Except sometimes you get some plates where the click wheel hole is a little too big, leaving a hair-wide gap around the click wheel.

My problem with the aftermarket Video front plates is that ALL of them have bit of a "ridge" or where the plastic is slightly buckling, extending from left to right above the click wheel hole. It's unnoticeable unless you hold the front plate up to the light and let the light reflect on the surface. It's also more noticeable with the black plates than the white ones. The OEM Video fronts have completely flat and uniform surfaces.

I see the ridge you are referring to. The OEM ones are not all that flat either. The ridge you are referring to is a result of shrinkage when the part is molded as the plastic is thicker in that area. The picture frame you can see in the light is a result of the same thing and is present in the OEM fronts. At least in all of my original fronts including the 80gb I bought brand new from the store in 2006 for a crap ton of money. My holes for the click wheels seem just as off as my original OEM fronts. The wheels are flush in some spots and either high or low in others. I agree that it is a lot better above the click wheel on the OEM fronts but they all have that picture frame around them so it doesn't bother me. I still say the aluminum fronts are not brand new but re-anodized. When I popped my lenses out I found old tape from the original lens and that is from two different suppliers claiming brand new fronts. The outside looks brand new so it doesn't bother me.

Apr 27, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #5,760 of 10,664
  Yes I regret spending extra on a mid frame to put a Classic front on my 5 because it ended up being plastic and the whole reason I wanted a Classic faceplate was for metal. It looks like the real thing though and at least it doesn't collect fingerprints. Got rockbox installed last night though so that has been cool. I forgot that it turns off the screen so it might be useful for more than looking pretty.

Did you buy a plastic version of the classic front? I almost bought one on accident from eBay but I noticed the description said it was plastic and kept looking. I plan on modding an aluminum one to get it to fit a video frame. It looks easy enough and I have a lot of tools for cutting and grinding. I know the click wheel will stick out but I think that might be better than the fit of the wheel on the video frames. They are not perfectly flush on the aftermarket fronts and are slightly recessed on the OEM fronts and both bug me a little. I was thinking of modding a classic clickwheel but it looked like more trouble than it was worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back