Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Nov 15, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #4,217 of 10,664

I have used the thin headphone jack on a thick backed build, the vice versa won't work of course, but the thin jack fits and is pretty secured just using the two stock mounting screws.

I also stick a little bit of foam packing material under the jack in the "dead air" space between it and the base back just to support it a bit, but if the screws are seated correctly it's probably not needed, I just feel a bit better about it that way.

Exactly what i needed to know! Side note, Ive heard that batteries can effect SQ is this true? 

Nov 15, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #4,220 of 10,664
  Changing the subject a bit: I read in this forum that the transparent panels were not worth it. Is it true?

I can tell you we have wasted a lot of bills for this hobby, but they are worth it for having some fun when we are still alive. 
wink_face.gif

Nov 16, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #4,221 of 10,664
Rewired this diymod today since I wasn't satisfied with the audio from the previous wires. This is the one with the 256GB CF card and the 2000 mAh battery. 

After I rewired the lod initially had only audio from the left channel. So I had to reopened it again and resoldered the joints near the DAC. Problem solved and it sounds much improved. Now I think I will never reopen this one again unless it breaks on me.

Nov 16, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #4,223 of 10,664
  Yeah, Im using tarkans adaptor and a CF on a thin iPod 5.5. I will be getting the thick back. Do I need to get different headphone jack internals? Heres the items I'm looking at right meow. 

Battery
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191209866425

Face plate / Back
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271557460481?var=570383872209

Headphone Jack
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121287714928

Alex also sells those if you need them. I'm waiting for my order to arrive at the moment.

Changing the subject a bit: I read in this forum that the transparent panels were not worth it. Is it true?

I've installed the transparent faceplate on my iPod classic 6,5g and I must say that I'm not very happy with the build quality. 
The only installation manual was for the 5g iPod, the difference was that I had to leave out the back metal plate. (Which I found a bit disturbing since this offers both less rigidity and more backbleeding). After that the click wheel did not at all fit well. It did not come out enough making it very loose, I used the plastic of another click wheel in order to have it at an acceptable depth. All in all I think the product is made for an iPod 5g and that in combination with that it will work fine. 

Nov 16, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #4,224 of 10,664
I am hoping that someone who using a 5.5 gen ipod could let me know what kind of write speeds to the device that they are getting using flash memory.  I have spent two days now trying different things and taking stuff apart and putting it back together trying to figure out why my write speeds are so slow on my iPod.  Maybe these speeds are "normal" for the 5.5 gen and I am driving myself mad for no reason.  However, I doubt that they are normal, as they are very slow speeds, especially once all the software is installed on the iPod, and I get about 6.5 MB/s using the original 30GB hard drive.  This is using Tarkan's newest adapter combo and the PNY 256GB card.  Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated, as I'm starting to feel like I wasted a lot of time and money. 
frown.gif

I have performed a write speed test after each major step of the process of installation, the speeds just keep getting slower each step of the way.

Immediately after AOMEI format while 256GB SDXC card is still in the PC's card reader:
Warning: Only 512 of 244474 MByte tested.
Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 13.9 MByte/s
Reading speed: 19.3 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Immediatly after iTunes restore while SDXC card is in the iPod:
Warning: Only 512 of 244329 MByte tested.
Writing speed: 4.13 MByte/s
Reading speed: 12.5 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

A second test immediately after the above test:
Warning: Only 1024 of 244329 MByte tested.
Writing speed: 3.86 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Test after first eject and reconnect after iTunes restore:
Writing speed: 3.55 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Test after Rockbox installation process:
Writing speed: 3.35 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Test after step 25:
Writing speed: 2.07 MByte/s
Reading speed: 4.99 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

256GB SDXC after iTunes restore using new ribbon cable on 5.5 gen ipod:
Writing speed: 5.52 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Above test on another computer:
Writing speed: 5.94 MByte/s
Reading speed: 12.7 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

New ribbon after step 25:
Warning: Only 256 of 244329 MByte tested.
Writing speed: 1.85 MByte/s
Reading speed: 5.07 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

16GB SDHC on 5.5 gen after iTunes restore:
Warning: Only 512 of 15158 MByte tested.
Writing speed: 4.88 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Nov 16, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #4,225 of 10,664
  I am hoping that someone who using a 5.5 gen ipod could let me know what kind of write speeds to the device that they are getting using flash memory.  I have spent two days now trying different things and taking stuff apart and putting it back together trying to figure out why my write speeds are so slow on my iPod.  Maybe these speeds are "normal" for the 5.5 gen and I am driving myself mad for no reason.  However, I doubt that they are normal, as they are very slow speeds, especially once all the software is installed on the iPod, and I get about 6.5 MB/s using the original 30GB hard drive.  This is using Tarkan's newest adapter combo and the PNY 256GB card.  Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated, as I'm starting to feel like I wasted a lot of time and money. 
frown.gif

I have performed a write speed test after each major step of the process of installation, the speeds just keep getting slower each step of the way.

Immediately after AOMEI format while 256GB SDXC card is still in the PC's card reader:
Warning: Only 512 of 244474 MByte tested.
Writing speed: 13.9 MByte/s
Reading speed: 19.3 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Immediatly after iTunes restore while SDXC card is in the iPod:
Writing speed: 4.13 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

A second test immediately after the above test:
Warning: Only 1024 of 244329 MByte tested.
Writing speed: 3.86 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Test after first eject and reconnect after iTunes restore:
Writing speed: 3.55 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Test after Rockbox installation process:
Writing speed: 3.35 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Test after step 25:
Writing speed: 2.07 MByte/s
Reading speed: 4.99 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

256GB SDXC after iTunes restore using new ribbon cable on 5.5 gen ipod:
Writing speed: 5.52 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Above test on another computer:
Writing speed: 5.94 MByte/s
Reading speed: 12.7 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

New ribbon after step 25:
Warning: Only 256 of 244329 MByte tested.
Writing speed: 1.85 MByte/s
Reading speed: 5.07 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

16GB SDHC on 5.5 gen after iTunes restore:
Warning: Only 512 of 15158 MByte tested.
Writing speed: 4.88 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Are you using windows or OS X? Since I have the impression that iTunes works far better on the last one.

Nov 16, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #4,227 of 10,664

Good question.  I am using Windows 7 64-bit.

Have you tried comparing the writing speeds of your 256GB sdxc card (I have to be careful not to drool on my computer tying that) and the 16GB SDHC card using a card reader or something. You could also rockbox it and copy all you music on it using a card reader. And what do you mean with "after step 25?"

Nov 16, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #4,228 of 10,664

Have you tried comparing the writing speeds of your 256GB sdxc card (I have to be careful not to drool on my computer tying that) and the 16GB SDHC card using a card reader or something. You could also rockbox it and copy all you music on it using a card reader. And what do you mean with "after step 25?"

Well I got the speed for the 256GB on my PC in the first step above.  The 16GB I believe is slightly slower (in my iPod right now and I'm about to go to sleep otherwise I'd test it).  By "after step 25" simply refers to the procedure that I linked above at this link.

Nov 16, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #4,229 of 10,664
  Well I got the speed for the 256GB on my PC in the first step above.  The 16GB I believe is slightly slower (in my iPod right now and I'm about to go to sleep otherwise I'd test it).  By "after step 25" simply refers to the procedure that I linked above at this link.

So if I'm reading the data correctly you're getting acceptable speeds when you restore the iPod using iTunes. But you get lower speeds when dual booting it using rockbox utility?
What is the function of the ipodpatcher.exe? 

Nov 16, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #4,230 of 10,664
From my own experience using a pair of Transcend 128 GB Class 10 SDXC Flash Memory Card (TS128GSDXC10E), the write speed under RB was slow and slower than all other media I have used. Not sure that ipodpatcher thing is to correct the skipping issue, but I had track skipping issues with files transferred under RB. File transfer from Apple's disk mode was faster and also resolved the skipping issues. 

Now this is interesting and it may sound unbelievable to some of you guys. Once I switched a CF card for a SDXC card on one of my diymods, and I instantly noticed that I didn't have the same audio quality between the two, and with the SDXC the diymod sounded less dynamic to my ears. Since then, I have written off the SDXC's and I am indifferent to its low cost. Plus I don't like the extra adapter when I have the options of eliminating it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back