Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Nov 9, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #8,566 of 10,664

It won't work.

The Mojo does not have the MFi authentication chip firmware necessary for the Classic to shake hands and output digital.

The Mojo only supports Apple's iOS devices in terms of digital output, of which iPod Classic is not included.

The Classic does work with the Oppo HA-2 however using digital output, limited to 16/48 of course.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you just need the chip that is in the Lightning to USB adapter Mojo people use... I was under the impression that was just for
MFi authentication, not anything related to the digital audio path.

I don't have a Mojo or I'd try it.

Nov 9, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #8,567 of 10,664

Check with the manufacturer.  If they've paid the license fees to use the digital out on the iPods, they'll let you know which models are supported (IIRC not all classics support all versions of the apple protocol).

If they haven't paid, the Apple firmware won't talk to the device.  You could use rockbox, but you'd have to write a USB audio driver first.

Good point - you could also use a 30-pin to coax line out cable like the FiiO ones possibly.  The Mojo's coax in is TRS 3.5mm right?

Nov 9, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #8,568 of 10,664

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you just need the chip that is in the Lightning to USB adapter Mojo people use... I was under the impression that was just for
MFi authentication, not anything related to the digital audio path.

I don't have a Mojo or I'd try it.

The Classic has it's own MFi chip inside the unit. That chip needs to do the handshake, the Classic is not Lightning compatible.

The DAC end (in this case a Mojo) also needs to have the authentication chip (i.e."Made For iPod"), but the Mojo lacks that feature in terms of iPod Classic compatibility and only offers standard USB OTG connectivity using either the Camera Connection Kit (with older iOS devices), or the Lightning cable with the very newest iOS devices. 

The iPod Classic will only handshake with MFi equipped USB Type A ports, meaning you use a standard 30-pin cable to connect to the Classic's dock port, and the other end needs a Type A input with authentication chip.

Even the Oppo HA-2, despite having such a Type A MFi port does not list the Classic as a compatible model, however it does work. I asked Oppo why they don't officially list the Classic as a supported model and they said the authentication chip it uses is slightly older/different to what is used in iOS, and they can't guarantee proper performance though they conceded it does in fact work.

In practice I haven't had any problem with the Classic and HA-2, but Oppo said the specific issue is the actual initial connection and handshake, it can be finicky because the HA-2 has one generation newer authentication than the Classic does, it is meant to be used with iOS and thats all they guarantee will work.

Back to the Mojo, it is like just about any other USB DAC in that it doesn't have the MFi Type A input, just a standard USB input. That means it will only work with older iOS devices using the CCK, or newer ones using Lightning, each of which operates in USB Host mode with those connections (essentially an OTG connection but Apple doesn't call it that).

As far as any Lightning adapter goes? I'm not sure what you mean, there isn't any Lightning port on either the Mojo or the Classic, no?

Nov 9, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #8,569 of 10,664
Been doing nothing but Researching this whole new world to me from these forums. So I have a bunch of questions. 
I just bought this iPod http://www.ebay.com/itm/252265011573?ul_noapp=true. it's a 5g iPod and I asked and it has wolfson DAC still.
1.I was wondering if this current mod would prevent me from purchaisng an iMod. 
2.If I can get an iMod, would the iMod prevent me from using this http://www.ebay.com/itm/261076269574 because I've purchased that as well.
3. Is the iMod's purpose to use external amps with the ipod?
4. What is the best cost efficient external amp for the iPod 5g (iPod Video)
5. I read that the Imod will require the ALO iMod Dock Cable. Is this cable for an external amp?
6. Can I still use my headphone jack in my iPod if the iMod does require an external amp?
7. Can I still use like an aux cord to play music from a vehicle, etc.

Sorry for all of the questions. I'm researching so much and a lot of people on this forum just talk about things that I still haven't wrapped my head around and I'm pretty sure these questions are just skipped over because they're common sense to everyone but there's still so much I don't know but I really want to know.

To sum everything up. I just bought this iPod because my first iPod completely broke. I bought one on eBay with an SSD upgrade (3rd Gen) and the battery is **** so I bought a 6th or 7th gen off craigslist and now the HDD is turning to crap. And I wanted to have a really nice iPod because I listen to music constantly and so I was getting all of these nice accessories for my new iPod coming in and somewhere along the line I got to here and was intrigued and kept wanting more information and asked a million more questions that I had to answer. These are the questions I can't find the answer to. I just want to have this iPod shown in the link to output the best audio possible and still be able to use my Bluetooth dongle and the headphone jack. Whether I need just an external amp and no mod or an iMod or both. I just would really love to know. Thank you for taking the time to read this all.

Nov 10, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #8,570 of 10,664
The Classic has it's own MFi chip inside the unit. That chip needs to do the handshake, the Classic is not Lightning compatible.

The DAC end (in this case a Mojo) also needs to have the authentication chip (i.e."Made For iPod"), but the Mojo lacks that feature in terms of iPod Classic compatibility and only offers standard USB OTG connectivity using either the Camera Connection Kit (with older iOS devices), or the Lightning cable with the very newest iOS devices. 

The iPod Classic will only handshake with MFi equipped USB Type A ports, meaning you use a standard 30-pin cable to connect to the Classic's dock port, and the other end needs a Type A input with authentication chip.

Even the Oppo HA-2, despite having such a Type A MFi port does not list the Classic as a compatible model, however it does work. I asked Oppo why they don't officially list the Classic as a supported model and they said the authentication chip it uses is slightly older/different to what is used in iOS, and they can't guarantee proper performance though they conceded it does in fact work.

In practice I haven't had any problem with the Classic and HA-2, but Oppo said the specific issue is the actual initial connection and handshake, it can be finicky because the HA-2 has one generation newer authentication than the Classic does, it is meant to be used with iOS and thats all they guarantee will work.

Back to the Mojo, it is like just about any other USB DAC in that it doesn't have the MFi Type A input, just a standard USB input. That means it will only work with older iOS devices using the CCK, or newer ones using Lightning, each of which operates in USB Host mode with those connections (essentially an OTG connection but Apple doesn't call it that).

As far as any Lightning adapter goes? I'm not sure what you mean, there isn't any Lightning port on either the Mojo or the Classic, no?
As far as iPod classic and all other older models are concerned, in order for getting the digital signal out and bypassing it's internal DAC, you're right the receiver needs apples's licence to get through the code for a handshake with iPods.
I bought the Sony pha-1 solely for that purpose, the connection is with a 30pin iPod dock for my iPod classic, the other end is USB to the pha. The result is only digital source is feeded into the pha, and processed by it's DAC.
What pissed me off is, my Tarkan's modded iPod classic's playback stopped intermittently and I have to switch the Sony pha off and on again in order for the playback to resume. Something not quite right with the handshake I guess.

Nov 10, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #8,571 of 10,664

This is the charger im using to charge my iPod 5.5 Generation 3000 Mah upgraded battery which takes me 20 +- hours to fully charge.

Its a 5.1 V 2.1 Amp charger and not 1 Amp.

I dont understand why its taking so long??

Any suggestions?

Nov 10, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #8,572 of 10,664
As far as iPod classic and all other older models are concerned, in order for getting the digital signal out and bypassing it's internal DAC, you're right the receiver needs apples's licence to get through the code for a handshake with iPods.
I bought the Sony pha-1 solely for that purpose, the connection is with a 30pin iPod dock for my iPod classic, the other end is USB to the pha. The result is only digital source is feeded into the pha, and processed by it's DAC.
What pissed me off is, my Tarkan's modded iPod classic's playback stopped intermittently and I have to switch the Sony pha off and on again in order for the playback to resume. Something not quite right with the handshake I guess.

Or maybe a faulty 30-pin cable?

Try a different cable and see if that problem persists. I haven't had any problem with an iFlash modded Classic Gen. 6 and the Oppo HA-2 despite Oppo's warnings of it not being officially supported.

I also modded a friend in Chicago's Classic Gen. 7, he too has the Oppo HA-2 and reports no problems with either the handshake, or reliable glitch-free playback.

We both use the ADL iD-30pa 30-pin dock cable.

Nov 10, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #8,573 of 10,664
Team,

Thanks on all the info on connecting the Classic to the Mojo. After some more research it seems like it is indeed not possible, a pity. I will continue to use my Mojo with my LG V20 and with my PC.

I'm going to get the Oppo, but before I do I would like to know if it can drive a IE800 and my HD650?

Nov 10, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #8,574 of 10,664
  Team,

Thanks on all the info on connecting the Classic to the Mojo. After some more research it seems like it is indeed not possible, a pity. I will continue to use my Mojo with my LG V20 and with my PC.

I'm going to get the Oppo, but before I do I would like to know if it can drive a IE800 and my HD650?

The closest I can come is the HD598, which the HA-2 drives just fine even on low gain setting, but that's not the same load.

Nov 10, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #8,575 of 10,664
Or maybe a faulty 30-pin cable?

Try a different cable and see if that problem persists. I haven't had any problem with an iFlash modded Classic Gen. 6 and the Oppo HA-2 despite Oppo's warnings of it not being officially supported.

I also modded a friend in Chicago's Classic Gen. 7, he too has the Oppo HA-2 and reports no problems with either the handshake, or reliable glitch-free playback.

We both use the ADL iD-30pa 30-pin dock cable.
Quite possible. I bought it from a Hong Kong eBay seller, but the dock is fabricated in mainland China,not cheap, cost me like USD40. When I first received it, it didn't work at all, I got to send it back to the seller for repair. After the repair, the connection OK, but the playback has the mentioned issue with Sony pha1. The iPod plays flawlessly on my Wadia dock

Nov 10, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #8,576 of 10,664
I changed to the cable that comes with Sony pha, same issue, playback stopped abruptly, when played the same track again, it had no problem to play till the end of the song.
Anyone can advise what's the possible cause of this?
If this persists, I'm thinking to sell off the Sony and just get another amp without having to use the USB in.

Nov 11, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #8,577 of 10,664
Has anyone had any problems installing an SDXC card on ipod to use with Mac OS? After formatting with windows it now says the iPod is busy when i attempt to restore on mac. I'm kind of sure it's to do with the migration from windows to mac.

What formatting do I need to carry out on sdxc and can it be done with it installed on iPod?
Do SDXC cards work with Mac OS?
Could it be another issue other than formatting/Mac OS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back