Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Oct 9, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #6,544 of 10,664
Hello everybody,

sooooo,  both 7.5 gen ipods (from the 4 I have), that I have tried to use the 1TB Samsung mSata with failed to do so.
Either I got the itunes error -1439 (either corrupted files or HD trouble)  ---  constantly or when trying to restore it gave me some other error  ---  I don't remember.

After the last reformatting through AOMEI and seeing the  "use itunes to restore" - itunes failed to display the ipod.
Windows explorer would see ipod though.

The original HDD's are working fine in them, just having trouble with the mSata.

Now I am trying a final test.  I have 2 more ipods, but they are 5.5 gen. One has missing hold-button and earphone function and the other one absolutely OK.

After reformatting mSata again, put it into Tarkan's adapter, connected it to 5.5 gen ipod - with Alex's battery.
I do not want to be toooooo euphoric, but restoring went thorugh, itunes will display it. and I have about 260GB on there already.

So I guess it must be something with the 2 ipods, that is creating that problem.  Could it be the motherboard or the ribbons?

But then, how come the original HDD's work? 
I am really confused about the whole issue.
Why should 2  7.5 gen ipod work with a 500GB mSata, and none of the other 2  7.5 gen ipods don't "like" the 1TB mSata.

So many people have a working  7.5 gen  1TB ipod.  Is it only me, not supposed to have a working 7.5 gen  1TB  ipod?

Greets,
JULIA

Oct 9, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #6,546 of 10,664
  Hello everybody,

sooooo,  both 7.5 gen ipods (from the 4 I have), that I have tried to use the 1TB Samsung mSata with failed to do so.
Either I got the itunes error -1439 (either corrupted files or HD trouble)  ---  constantly or when trying to restore it gave me some other error  ---  I don't remember.

After the last reformatting through AOMEI and seeing the  "use itunes to restore" - itunes failed to display the ipod.
Windows explorer would see ipod though.

The original HDD's are working fine in them, just having trouble with the mSata.

Now I am trying a final test.  I have 2 more ipods, but they are 5.5 gen. One has missing hold-button and earphone function and the other one absolutely OK.

After reformatting mSata again, put it into Tarkan's adapter, connected it to 5.5 gen ipod - with Alex's battery.
I do not want to be toooooo euphoric, but restoring went thorugh, itunes will display it. and I have about 260GB on there already.

So I guess it must be something with the 2 ipods, that is creating that problem.  Could it be the motherboard or the ribbons?

But then, how come the original HDD's work? 
I am really confused about the whole issue.
Why should 2  7.5 gen ipod work with a 500GB mSata, and none of the other 2  7.5 gen ipods don't "like" the 1TB mSata.

So many people have a working  7.5 gen  1TB ipod.  Is it only me, not supposed to have a working 7.5 gen  1TB  ipod?

Greets,
JULIA

Is your msata EVO840 or EVO850. The 850 does not work well with the 7G. The 840 though, does work well.

Oct 9, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #6,548 of 10,664

Is your msata EVO840 or EVO850. The 850 does not work well with the 7G. The 840 though, does work well.

Hello Imod,

well, I had the 840EVO, since I have read and heard about the problems with the 850EVO.

Do you maybe have any idea why it doesn't work with the 2  they are  297 / 293  (black/silver)  model.

Greets,
JULIA

Oct 9, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #6,549 of 10,664
  Too bad the CF card price does not drop much. You guys may give a try on those $30 512GB SDXC cards sold from China, who knows they may be good. 

Ha!

....No.  They will be fakes!

The really annoying thing is that there must be genuine-but-second-hand ones out there, but the prevalence of fakes makes it risky to buy them and conversely means you get a lower price if you happen to be selling a (real, used) card.  They (the fakes) are a scourge!

I'm still irritated I can't get my Kingston card to work with emcore.  It will only work with rockbox in a 5th gen, not in anything that needs emcore.  PNY appear to be better than Kingston, in my experience.  Damn annoying they are only available in US.  Anyone had luck with sandisk or others?

Am tempted to get a 128gb to make a 384gb as 'backup' for my 512gb one.

Oct 10, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #6,552 of 10,664
I've been enjoying this thread and am in the process of modding my 160GB 6th generation classic with the 128 GB SSD, cable ribbon and new battery. Just waiting on the Tarkan pieces to finish it.

Question: As I understand it, this iPod version OS is limited to 128 GB. But if I use the new dual drive adapter, can I go higher?

Oct 10, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #6,553 of 10,664
  I've been enjoying this thread and am in the process of modding my 160GB 6th generation classic with the 128 GB SSD, cable ribbon and new battery. Just waiting on the Tarkan pieces to finish it.

Question: As I understand it, this iPod version OS is limited to 128 GB. But if I use the new dual drive adapter, can I go higher?

Am almost certain the answer is 'no'.
(I'd say just go rockbox - in my opinion the original firmware rather struggles to cope with larger drives - it can't handle flacs, and it can't handle large numbers of tracks, and its navigation methods are a pain with lots of tracks.  The biggest downside to rockbox though is the much slower speed of syncing.)

Oct 10, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #6,554 of 10,664

Using Rockbox, yes.  Stock OS , no.

Oct 10, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #6,555 of 10,664
Hey all.

I´m preparing my second iPod video 5.5 for a SDXC iFlash mod. Unlike the first one –which has a 1900 mAh battery and thick backplate–, I´m going to use a thin back and a normal, thin battery   . Unfortunately , I the couple of cheap 850 mAh batteries I bought  did not went fine. They don´t last much . Would you mind to provide me some links to a good iPod thin battery?  I´d want to discard a motherboard failure but in order to check it out I need some decent battery.

Second cuestion. Have you tried one of these SSD? Just curiosity.

Thanks a lot.
Regards!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back