Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Feb 23, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #5,147 of 10,664
  In the search for building an iPod Video 5.5G with an SDXC card and a 2000Mah battery, I found this product at the following link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CF-to-1-8-ZIF-SSD-Card-CE-Adapter-With-Case-For-iPod-/271635250756?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f3eb8fe44#shpCntId
It appears to be a 1.8 Zif to CF adapter for iPod.

The advertised size is as follows: Standard 1.8" hard disk size: 71 x 54 x 5mm.
I believe that without putting the top cover, its size can be a slight thinner.

When one checks on the size of the thin 30GB iPod Hard drive, its size is as follows:

Toshiba MK3008GAL
Height 0.0196” (5.0mm
Width 2.13" (54.0mm) 
Depth 3.09" (78.5mm) 

The height seems to be identical.

Would you think that by using the below configuration, we can finally have the 2000Mah & 256GB SDXC iPod?
- this 1.8" Zif to CF adapter
- Tarkan CF to SD adapter
- 256GB PNY Elite Performance SDXC card
- 2000Mah battery from the following link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000mAh-Battery-Upgrade-replacement-for-iPod-Classic-6-6-5-7-Video-5-5-5-Thin-/191209866425?rmvSB=true
- And a thick iPod back cover together with the thick earphone and hold switch

Has anyone tried this configuration before?

Thanks for any replies.

try iFlash/CF Adapter from Tarkan, works w/o problems, I use in my 160/120gb 7th and 5th gen
2000mAh will work only with thick back plate, so your configuration should work and when you at it, replace the plastic front with classic alu faceplate.

Feb 23, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #5,148 of 10,664
Feb 23, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #5,149 of 10,664

Hi, how did you try it out exactly?

From what I am reading, some say that it works on iPod 6G and above and not on 5G. (Didnt try on 6G only 5.5G)   Another on the german Amazon website says that he made it work with his 5G 30Gb but he had to format his SD card before to Fat32 to work. (AOMEI Fat32 formated) One other guy is saying that he bought 3 of them and 1 of them worked whilst the other 2 did not (possibly some malfunction or installation error). (I have only one, maybe its faulty, I dont know) Another is saying that in order to make it work, she had to insert a piece of plastic with the zif cable to keep it in place. (Dont know where, everything fit OK) The card is to be installed up-side down to be compatible with the zif cable. (Tried, doesnt work in any position)

On which configuration did you try it? 5G/5.5G/6G/7G iPod logic board?  CF card or SDXC card with which size in GB and brand? Did you use Tarkan's CF to SD adapter? Could it be a limitation of the adapter - say it can only view memory cards up to say 80Gb, etc? Did you prepare the memory card before as is advised on Tarkan's website using 
AOMEI?

Motherboard 5.5G 80GB
Tarkan SDXC to CF adapter
PNY 256GB SDXC and Transcend 32GB SDHC (Fat32 AOMEI prepared)

Feb 23, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #5,150 of 10,664
Feb 23, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #5,154 of 10,664

Adapter SDXC to CF is type II, with iFlash adapter is 1 mm thicker than HDD...

CF II can be converted to CF I if you remove the CF Adapter housing and metal cover, does not work with every CF Adapter, if this works with Tarkans CF Adapter I can't tell my Classic is closed :frowning2:
But also the iFlash may be too thick for 2000mAh and thick back plate.

Feb 23, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #5,157 of 10,664
something to thing about:
the 7th gen 160GB (not sure about the 120GB)  has a 128mb buffer on board, compared to the 5th gen 30gb only had a 32mb buffer and the 5th gen 60gb & 5.5 gen 80 gb both a 64mb buffer.
If you want to use large SD like 512GB or 1TB SSD then one with 128mb buffer is the way to go.

I'm still looking for an 256GB SDXC in EU for under 80 Euro, if someone has a legit source please post a link. I see few suppliers in US but don't want to pay this ridiculous custom fees that eBay US charges.

Feb 23, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #5,159 of 10,664
  something to thing about:
the 7th gen 160GB (not sure about the 120GB)  has a 128mb buffer on board, compared to the 5th gen 30gb only had a 32mb buffer and the 5th gen 60gb & 5.5 gen 80 gb both a 64mb buffer.
If you want to use large SD like 512GB or 1TB SSD then one with 128mb buffer is the way to go.

I'm still looking for an 256GB SDXC in EU for under 80 Euro, if someone has a legit source please post a link. I see few suppliers in US but don't want to pay this ridiculous custom fees that eBay US charges.

I think there is no iPod with 128MB of RAM...

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #5,160 of 10,664
Originally Posted by 1600 kHz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would only 5G and lower acceot drives that have been loaded externally? There shouldn't be any difference in the result as far as I know.

Drive issues like this can be extremely puzzling. This afternoon I loading a bunch of albums on the iPod just before leaving. Waiting for the train, looking forward to finally using the damn music machine, it spurted out the exact same write block errors and PANIC messages as it had before.

About 12 hours later, I tried to play a song just to get the error messages, and (of course) this time it just worked! It still does.

As for if it's the card or the PC causing your trouble, I wouldn't get your hopes up about the PC being the issue. Then again, it just might be. My issues have always started after transferring a big group of files. Playing a file would result in a PANIC message. I tried switching to the Rockbox fallback image, and interestingly enough I didn't get any errors this time, just the player would skip through all songs as if the files didn't exist anymore.

So if the drive and the PC are okay, the only possible culprits remaining are emCore and Rockbox. And beyondwind's patch. Least we can do is keep those updated.

The difference with 5G vs later is that later ipods format the drive weirdly (I don't think that's the correct technical description, but someone else will doubtless know what is actually going on).  Hence when you put them in an external enclosure the PC (at least with windows) can't make sense of the partitions or see the contents, hence you can't put anything on it that way, it has to be done through the ipod's firmware.

I'm still baffled by the sdxc problem.  My new card has thrown a wobbly a couple of times now as well, though so far, unlike the first one, its recovered again, after doing the apple icon reboot thing and scaring me after having more stuff synced to it, it then suddenly came back to life after being reconnected to the PC and rebooted again without having to be restored/resynched.

What I can't decide is - is it that the dodgy refurbished ipods I've been using have minor faults that show up with the sd card?  And thus, is it worth opening up my one-and-only bought-new, never messed-with, 7.5 gen to see if it will work with the sdxc where the more questionable ipods failed?  Quite reluctant to do that as obviously its now irreplacable (by opening up I mean opening the actual ipod case, not the packaging, its used, its just in perfect condition and not used very much).

(Rockbox doesn't come into this, as that's only on the msata pod - which is still working at the moment, though I find I still prefer iTunes to Rockbox, yet can't really explain why!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back