Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jan 25, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #4,834 of 10,664
  I managed to find someone at work that would trade their 7th gen 160 for my 6th gen 160.  I also managed to butcher the hell out of case opening it up.  I ordered a new one but dread the fact that I may need to open it up again in the future.  Is there something I can do to this new case that will let it stay together securely and also open it easily at the same time?  Maybe remove a couple of those metal tabs?  Anyone else try this?

just order one or two back cases for future disassembly, I did for my 7th 160gb for times when 512GB SD drops below $50, for $5 from china is the best way to have a new one in case you destroy opening.

Jan 25, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #4,835 of 10,664
  Hi Guys,

I wish to complain 2600mAh battery: eBay item number is 221574665219.
1. Battery is compatible with iPod 5th Gen? (title of lot says: for iPod 6th Gen, but I think this is a mistake).
2. Battery is compatible with Tarkan iFlash-SSD adapter?

I have iPod 5.5th Gen with thick back panel.

The battery is compatible with the particular pata ssd sold by the same fellow who sells the battery.  With that ssd and a thick back panel I believe that battery works, regardless of whether its a 5th or 6th gen ipod.

Tarkan's adaptor is too large to be used with that battery (or, alternatively, that battery is too large to be used with Tarkan's adaptor).

I got one by mistake also, but I reckon I'll eventually find a way to make use of it! 

(In the meantime I'm vaguely thinking of butchering a CF-SD adaptor to see if I can get a 2000 or 1900mah battery to fit with one.

Jan 25, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #4,837 of 10,664
Quick question: I'll be putting the iFlash & SD-CF Adapter Bundle (from Tarkan) and a PNY Elite Performance 128GB High Speed SDXC in an iPod 5.5G. Is it necessary to format the card previously or I can do that just having it installed on my iPod?

Jan 25, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #4,838 of 10,664
  Quick question: I'll be putting the iFlash & SD-CF Adapter Bundle (from Tarkan) and a PNY Elite Performance 128GB High Speed SDXC in an iPod 5.5G. Is it necessary to format the card previously or I can do that just having it installed on my iPod?

Here is what I would do.

http://www.tarkan.info/20140310/tutorials/prepare-sdxc-exfat-for-use-with-the-ipod

Jan 25, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #4,840 of 10,664
For anyone interested, the PNY Elite 256gb sd card is on sale at Tiger Direct right now for $90 ($10 instant coupon) plus a $10 mail in rebate.  I've used this card in a few 5.5 gen ipods in the last couple of months with the Tarkan iFlash + CF to SD adapter with no problems whatsoever, just plug and play using iTunes.  They seem to be rock solid as far as reliability as far as I can tell and you can't beat the price.  I also picked up a couple of Lexar Professional 400x 128gb sd cards at Amazon recently for $45 each on a "dented box special".  These seem to be very reliable as well, I've used them in both an iPod mini with a generic CF to SD adapter and in a 5.5 gen iPod with a Tarkan adapter.

Jan 25, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #4,841 of 10,664
I recently put my everyday 5.5 gen 256gb SD ipod into a thin "classic" housing with relatively little difficulty using info gleaned from this thread and a couple of other random sources.  I needed a 6th/7th gen frame, 6th/7th gen headphone jack (thin version), thin battery and used the 5th gen clickwheel and the 6th/7th gen button.  I needed to put a very thin piece of cardboard behind the button to make it stick out far enough to work though.  I used a generic $20 Chinese "Space Grey" case and I'm pretty happy with the way it looks/sounds.  

Jan 25, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #4,842 of 10,664
  Does anyone know of any UK suppliers of clear cases/ new (good quality) rear housings and coloured scroll wheels?

Also, is it possible to house an ipod video in another ipod case e.g. classic?

I recently put my everyday 5.5 gen 256gb SD ipod into a thin "classic" housing with relatively little difficulty using info gleaned from this thread and a couple of other random sources.  I needed a 6th/7th gen frame, 6th/7th gen headphone jack (thin version), thin battery and used the 5th gen clickwheel and the 6th/7th gen button.  I needed to put a very thin piece of cardboard behind the button to make it stick out far enough to work though.  I used a generic $20 Chinese "Space Grey" case and I'm pretty happy with the way it looks/sounds.  

Jan 26, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #4,843 of 10,664

Oh wow, I've been looking around if it's possible... IMO I like the design of the 'classic' to the 5.5gen. Can you please upload pictures?

Jan 26, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #4,844 of 10,664
Oh wow, I've been looking around if it's possible... IMO I like the design of the 'classic' to the 5.5gen. Can you please upload pictures?

I also Dremeled the heck out of those annoying "lips" on the front case that hold the clips from the back so tightly that I destroyed my first 6th gen housing I ever opened.  As you can see, it still fits together nicely without any of the clips.  That baby still doesn't come apart without a razor blade and an opening tool but I can do it in about 10 seconds without marring the case.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back