Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Oct 4, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #3,631 of 10,664
Stoked. My 2000mAh battery came in today. :D

Now all I'm waiting on is my Tarken adaptor for the msata drive. Throwing in a 1TB bad boy.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #3,632 of 10,664
That 1TB bad boy will keep you busy for a while. If you try to load it via USB, be prepared to reformat it via the motherboard a few times. You are warned. I have totally give up on loading even just a little bit to that bad boy via USB. It could mess up the drive and you end up with reformatting and restoring again. The good news is the motherboard is always your friend. :)

Oct 4, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #3,633 of 10,664
Yea, I plan to do some decent amount of testing. First thing will be to try and load 130gb+ via USB. Just to see if my USB/firewire cable helps. But I definitely got the msata/sata adapter because in the end, Rockbox and adapter transfers is just much faster and easier. Not to mention more convenient.

Oct 5, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #3,634 of 10,664
So is Crucial CT480M500SSD3 480GB what I need for the 480 gig version?  I plan to do a 480 gig model (possibly "just" the 256) as I just don't have that much music yet.

What I think I need :-

Ipod (preferably 5th gen, but with tarkans adapter any model will do basically).  I do have a 7th gen ipod but am leaving that alone as don't want to be without music.
480 gig Msata
Tarkan/generic adapter for msata
2000mah battery (optional)

Anything else?

Other concerns.

1) Being a Mac Mini user will I have any trouble transferring files across once the build is done via usb?  I am aware that it is best to do it in small chunks at a time (10 gig or so) due to heat issues.
2)Being a Mac Mini user if I do run in to trouble and need to reformat the ssd what's the best way of going about it?  Would an external msata case to usb be any good?
3)Rockbox, with rockbox do I do the install before or after the ssd mod?  It's this part that has me slightly confused.  I'm guessing after.

Being honest I'm leaning more toward ordering a 256 gig compact flash komputerbay card atm and seeing if that works in the mini.  I'm aware that msata cards are cheaper but there seems to be more pitfalls to avoid that way as well.  Only reason I have not done that yet is because a)I'm tight and b)when I tried the 128 card from komputerbay it was quite unstable to say the least.

Any thoughts on the above?

Oct 5, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #3,638 of 10,664
  So is Crucial CT480M500SSD3 480GB what I need for the 480 gig version?  I plan to do a 480 gig model (possibly "just" the 256) as I just don't have that much music yet.

The Crucial 480GB is very good (also recommended by Beyondwind) with a good battery (e.g., the Miliamp 650 mAh). I loaded it completely full just thru the USB without a single issue. The BP4 240gb is excellent choice and requires no special battery. The Samsung 1TB will give you plenty of storage but also trouble if you intend to load it just thru USB. Also I suspect a power failure during playback may bring an unhappy face to the ipod.

What I think I need :-

Ipod (preferably 5th gen, but with tarkans adapter any model will do basically).  I do have a 7th gen ipod but am leaving that alone as don't want to be without music.
480 gig Msata
Tarkan/generic adapter for msata
2000mah battery (optional)

Anything else?

Other concerns.

1) Being a Mac Mini user will I have any trouble transferring files across once the build is done via usb?  I am aware that it is best to do it in small chunks at a time (10 gig or so) due to heat issues.
2)Being a Mac Mini user if I do run in to trouble and need to reformat the ssd what's the best way of going about it?  Would an external msata case to usb be any good?
3)Rockbox, with rockbox do I do the install before or after the ssd mod?  It's this part that has me slightly confused.  I'm guessing after.

To install RB, you restore the ipod first. Then you enable the diskmode, from there you install the generic RB firmware followed by the RB patch by beyondwind. 

Being honest I'm leaning more toward ordering a 256 gig compact flash komputerbay card atm and seeing if that works in the mini.  I'm aware that msata cards are cheaper but there seems to be more pitfalls to avoid that way as well.  Only reason I have not done that yet is because a)I'm tight and b)when I tried the 128 card from komputerbay it was quite unstable to say the least.

CF mod is no doubt the best, in my opinion, if you don't need a big storage. I also have the Komputerbay 128GB CF for my 5g, and my experience is different from yours. In fact, all my CF mods are very very stable free of any issue. CF's are the most reliable and power efficient.

Here are the CF cards I have used:

Wellcore 256GB
Komputerbay 128GB
Dolgix 128GB 
Maxell 64 GB
Promaster 64GB 

Any thoughts on the above?

Oct 5, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #3,639 of 10,664

I have a pair of these BP4's and they work great. I would actually recommend this drive for the 256GB mod over the SDXC (very competitive cost wise).

Update on the Samsung 1TB:
Uploaded about 700 GB's via motherboard, put it back to the ipod and everything works great. :)

Would you say you think the BP4 is better than a PNY 256 SDXC? Ease of install, reliability? I plan on outfitting a 5th gen with Adam's 2000mAH battery pack. Is the battery life above OEM HDD with the BP4? I'm building up two 5th gen's, one 256GB for traveling use, one terapod in near future. I'll be using Tarkin adaptors of course. I love Mydigitalssd products I've had no issues with them in my PC applications.  

Oct 5, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #3,640 of 10,664
  Would you say you think the BP4 is better than a PNY 256 SDXC? Ease of install, reliability? I plan on outfitting a 5th gen with Adam's 2000mAH battery pack. Is the battery life above OEM HDD with the BP4? I'm building up two 5th gen's, one 256GB for traveling use, one terapod in near future. I'll be using Tarkin adaptors of course. I love Mydigitalssd products I've had no issues with them in my PC applications.  

I don't have the PNY 256 SDXC or the 2000 mAh battery, so I can't offer any opinion in that regard. But personally I am not a big fan of SDXC simply because it requires two adapters to make the conversion. More adapters suck more power from the battery. Also the SDXC conversion will be a little bit thicker than the others if it matters for the 2000 mAh battery to fit. 

One good thing about the BP4 240GB is you can take it out of ipod after the restore, and put it in an adapter connected to your computer via USB for faster loading your music files. Then you put the card back to the ipod. From my experience, the BP4 240GB seems very power efficient.

Oct 5, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #3,641 of 10,664

I don't have the PNY 256 SDXC or the 2000 mAh battery, so I can't offer any opinion in that regard. But personally I am not a big fan of SDXC simply because it requires two adapters to make the conversion. More adapters suck more power from the battery. Also the SDXC conversion will be a little bit thicker than the others if it matters for the 2000 mAh battery to fit. 

One good thing about the BP4 240GB is you can take it out of ipod after the restore, and put it in an adapter connected to your computer via USB for faster loading your music files. Then you put the card back to the ipod. From my experience, the BP4 240GB seems very power efficient.

Has anyone had experience to use the new BP4 Eco model in a SSD pod-mod? I see your point with dual adapters. I would prefer to keep the system using just SSD's as I can pick up 5th gen's cheaply and just start collecting and building up new ones. Is there still issues with factory firmware and the 256GB SSD's?

I rarely use my screen, my backlight is always off, and I mostly use shuffle. I just want like 20 hours of battery life, which I know is hard for anyone to predict, but its still what is best for my needs.
If there is a better SSD than the BP4 for longer battery times, with similar reports of ease of use, I'm in. While I can tinker and toy with these things I work long days and need music to concentrate on my work so downtime would be an annoyance.

Oct 6, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #3,642 of 10,664
I keep getting occasional pauses in my songs, maybe 1/2 a second to a second in length. Has anyone experienced this? Any fixes or recommendations?

Also, battery life is pretty poor and jumps around a lot. Are there recommended settings to optimise it? It's a brand new battery. 

Oct 6, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #3,644 of 10,664
Stoked. My 2000mAh battery came in today.
biggrin.gif

Now all I'm waiting on is my Tarken adaptor for the msata drive. Throwing in a 1TB bad boy.

Other way around here. The adapter is too sexy to be left like this. Guess I'll have to wait for the shipping boat to arrive, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back