Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 29, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #3,571 of 10,664
Thanks a lot. Everything is crystal clear now, though I don't know what's the installation video that you are referring to.

On the page I've linked below, scroll down until you see the YouTube video under the Installation heading:

http://www.tarkan.info/20080115/tutorials/iflash-ipod-compact-flash-mk2

After watching the video you will have a good idea of whats involved.

Sep 29, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #3,572 of 10,664
Wolfson?

On the other hand, in terms of design and UI, I find the 5th gen iPods to be superior to the latest Classics. I absolutely love that classy white plastic design – and IMHO the aluminum used in the latest models fall WAY behind when it comes to look. It might be something about nostalgia too.

But I agree, maybe $400 is too much.

It's too much, I recently bought a used but in good working order 30GB Gen 5.5 Video for $65. It wasn't even an auction, it was a "Buy It Now" price on eBay.

It has only minor cosmetic damage and that is easily and cheaply remedied by installing new front/back covers and click wheel. Other examples in even better cosmetic condition were about $85.

Sep 29, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #3,573 of 10,664
It's too much, I recently bought a used but in good working order 30GB Gen 5.5 Video for $65. It wasn't even an auction, it was a "Buy It Now" price on eBay.

It has only minor cosmetic damage and that is easily and cheaply remedied by installing new front/back covers and click wheel. Other examples in even better cosmetic condition were about $85.

Yeah I know, but better cosmetic condition isn't the same than perfectly new and completely scratch-free.

Also, AFAIK, those replacement back covers aren't official and they don't include the Apple logo and all the stuff. Am I right?

Sep 29, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #3,574 of 10,664
Yeah I know, but better cosmetic condition isn't the same than perfectly new and completely scratch-free.

Also, AFAIK, those replacement back covers aren't official and they don't include the Apple logo and all the stuff. Am I right?

Rather than ask me, why not just take a close look at them, you'll see.

I hope you are completely confident that you are in fact getting a brand new sealed never used 5.5 for $400, and if you are, be prepared to replace the battery as it doesn't have a 7 year non-use shelf life.

Sep 29, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #3,575 of 10,664
Rather than ask me, why not just take a close look at them, you'll see.

I hope you are completely confident that you are in fact getting a brand new sealed never used 5.5 for $400, and if you are, be prepared to replace the battery as it doesn't have a 7 year non-use shelf life.

Found this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EN4G9L8/ref=pd_aw_sbs_2?pi=SS115

Obviously not original, but supposedly they are completely scratch-free and identical to the original ones, which is good. However, what is your experience with this kind of alternative cases? Are they really what they claim to be?

Perhaps the right and reasonable thing to do is to get a way less expensive, used iPod Video, and to replace the back case by myself, but I don't know if that's easy peasy, at least looking at the guides on iFixit.

Cheers.

Sep 29, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #3,576 of 10,664

Obviously not original, but supposedly they are completely scratch-free and identical to the original ones, which is good. However, what is your experience with this kind of alternative cases? Are they really what they claim to be?

Perhaps the right and reasonable thing to do is to get a way less expensive, used iPod Video, and to replace the back case by myself, but I don't know if that's easy peasy, at least looking at the guides on iFixit.

Cheers.

I haven't purchased a back case from that particular seller but I've purchased several on eBay and they're all pretty much the same.  They're nearly identical to the original back covers.  The only difference I could spot is that the lettering is slightly thicker on the aftermarket back covers, at least the ones I've used.

I have to second the advice of the other poster and suggest buying a used iPod and installing a faceplate and new back cover.  No sense paying $400 for a new iPod that you'll likely need to replace the battery in anyway.  At that price, you could find a pre-modded 120GB 5th Gen Flash iPod that will be in like new condition.

Sep 29, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #3,577 of 10,664
I purchased a new scratch free 2nd Gen iPod and the battery seemed ok on it. But I only spent $100 on it. However....iTunes didn't recognize it. It was just recognized as an external 10GB HDD. So my plans to make it a 128GB SDXC retro player failed :frowning2: But I was surprised it held a charge. That said, I would still put a new battery in an iPod.

Sep 29, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #3,578 of 10,664
Update on the Samsung 1TB drive .....

So far I have not been able to fill the entire storage for file transfer thru USB. It doesn't seem that battery or heat is the issue here. The drive became inaccessible twice during file transfer when it was loaded more than half way. At that point, windows explorer showed no files, just empty drive. Then the ipod gave sad face requiring a reformat and restore.

Not sure exactly the reason. I ordered that cable with Firewire and USB, and I'll see how that will improves the file transfer. 

Dr., have you ever filled the 1TB full using USB only? If the USB can't get the drive full, then loading the drive thru the motherboard may be the only option for 5g.

Sep 29, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #3,579 of 10,664

Cheers.

You see how the seller superimposes his logo over the top of the Apple logo? Thats just for photographic purposes and not raising Apple's ire, the logo is the same as the real thing and my experience with these covers is all positive, I find them pretty much indistinguishable from "the real thing".

Did you watch Tarkan's install video?

Sep 29, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #3,580 of 10,664
Yes, I am up to 630gb of the 930gb available. I have completely filled my 480gb. I am about to build my next one, as soon as I receive the Tarkan adapter I ordered over a month ago. I always start with a fully charged battery, and i have taken as long as a week to load 500gb, no more than 50gb at a time.

During my 3rd build, I had a lot of trouble and later discovered my USB port was failing intermittently.

Sep 29, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #3,581 of 10,664
Yes, I am up to 630gb of the 930gb available. I have completely filled my 480gb. I am about to build my next one, as soon as I receive the Tarkan adapter I ordered over a month ago. I always start with a fully charged battery, and i have taken as long as a week to load 500gb, no more than 50gb at a time.

During my 3rd build, I had a lot of trouble and later discovered my USB port was failing intermittently.

At any point did you get the drive loaded close to say 900 GB thru USB? Yes, the 480GB Crucial was fully loaded without any issue. 
During file transfer for the 1TB, I actually noticed my battery was quite stable staying pretty much fully charged, so I don't suspect battery to be the issue. I am gonna try to load it this time using my office desktop instead of my laptop at home.

Sep 30, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #3,582 of 10,664
At any point did you get the drive loaded close to say 900 GB thru USB? Yes, the 480GB Crucial was fully loaded without any issue. 
During file transfer for the 1TB, I actually noticed my battery was quite stable staying pretty much fully charged, so I don't suspect battery to be the issue. I am gonna try to load it this time using my office desktop instead of my laptop at home.

Not yet.

Sep 30, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #3,583 of 10,664
  Update on the Samsung 1TB drive .....

So far I have not been able to fill the entire storage for file transfer thru USB. It doesn't seem that battery or heat is the issue here. The drive became inaccessible twice during file transfer when it was loaded more than half way. At that point, windows explorer showed no files, just empty drive. Then the ipod gave sad face requiring a reformat and restore.

Not sure exactly the reason. I ordered that cable with Firewire and USB, and I'll see how that will improves the file transfer. 

Dr., have you ever filled the 1TB full using USB only? If the USB can't get the drive full, then loading the drive thru the motherboard may be the only option for 5g.

Once I had that same issue with my Crucial 480gb card and it was caused by a bad sector, the replacement card I received as RMA worked great.  

Sep 30, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #3,584 of 10,664
  Once I had that same issue with my Crucial 480gb card and it was caused by a bad sector, the replacement card I received as RMA worked great.  

Did you use the AOMEI to find out the bad sector? I was trying to check the drive for bad sectors but AOMEI seems unable to load the partitions. Anyway, I am loading the drive for the 3rd time. The drive was loaded more than 500Gb's twice before it failed to load more. 

If it fails again this time, I will try to load the drive via motherboard for a 5g as Dr. tested.

Sep 30, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #3,585 of 10,664
Well good news, it looks like Tarken has shipped out the pre ordered iflash msata adaptors. I ordered mine last week and got notice that it was shipped. Also my 1TB msata has shipped as has my msata/sata adapter.

@Dminor, I really think that the USB/Firewire Y cable will help with your transfers. It greatly helped mine. I was able to load 90GB+ in just one single operation. Granted that was to an SDXC card, but cmarti got one as well and it helped out greatly with his file transfers as well. I believe it's because there's constant and steady power supplied to the iPod since it's pluged into the wall outlet as well as the USB port. Hope it helps solve your issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back