Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
May 20, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #32 of 3,817

I can also listen with them at the tightest setting on the headband, so it seems they need a tighter/shorter headpad. The large cups can change the tonal balance (frequency response) a bit.

+1 on the tighter/shorter headband!!! I fully agree with that 100%. On the smallest setting, I measured the height of the HE-1000 is approximately ~8* to 8.5 inches depending on how wide your head is. (*the range is from the metal suspension curves to making a right angle to just a normal height measurement with the earpads pressing against each other.)

Here are some numbers to put human heads into perspective. source here.

The average total height of a human head from top of the skull to the chin is 8.6 inches for men & women (commonly range given is 8-9 inches). The bottom one percentile female head height is ~7.8 inches. The 99th percentile of tallest human heads in the world is 9.4 inches. On the widest setting, the HE-1000 hits 10 inches. Basically, it is unlikely that any normal human being will be using the HE-1k on its tallest settings unless you were born with a medical disorder like macrocephaly or oxycephaly.

I personally think that Hifiman needs to tune the suspension of the headband until the height from the top of the headband to the bottom of the earcup to hit around 7.5 to 7.8 inches on the smallest setting to better accommodate the actual range of human head heights (rather than having 0.6 inches of extra height that no one will use... I actually think the top three settings probably won't fit even the 99th percentile of tall headed people as you will still want some clearance for your sloping jaw line).

Also, I think that deeper earpads would be nice as well, but I personally have not run into any issues with the earpads being too shallow. The HE-1k's posterior earpad depth measures to be about 17-18mm. People with prominent ears can clock in with ear widths over 20 mm, so they may run into issues with the earpad depth.

May 20, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #33 of 3,817
I agree on both accounts. I have a larger than average head and have to use next to the smallest setting. I could see this being an issue with anyone with medium to small heads. Also, if for no other reason than for people with larger ears, to adjust the depth on the earpad thickness. My ears do touch the inside of the cups.

May 21, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #35 of 3,817
I never though I would think a pair of headphones could make my LCD-3F's look inferior, but the HE1000 is, IMO, clearly on another level from them (and my old HD-800's for that matter). Though I haven't heard them, I would be very curious to know how they compare with the SR-009 and the Abyss.

Switching back to my LCD-3's makes me realize how overpowering the bass actually is, how confined the soundstage is, and how there is definitely room for improvement in the treble. In fact, going off memory, I think the HE1000 surpasses the HD-800 in terms of soundstage, and that was their main appeal for me.

It's not all bad news for the LCD-3's though, I find that depending on my intended use I can actually prefer them more. For example, when I am on my computer and surfing the net I really like the very visceral feel of the LCD's. If I am not really focused on the music, I feel like they are more enjoyable than the HE1000. That being said, I also have a listening room in my house that I like to do more critical listening on (no computer for distractions!) and this is where the HE1000 shine compared to the LCD-3. With the lights off and the music on there is just so much detail that I'm able to pick out of even the most complex music. While that may sound like they are analytical, I wouldn't say so because the thing these have in spades is amazing TONE. Everything sounds so right. As a person who grew up with a piano in his house, I can honestly say I've never heard piano more faithfully reproduced from a pair of headphones (or speakers for that matter). Piano on the LCD-3's almost sound brittle in comparison. It also physically gives me chills being able to hear the simple things that bring me the most pleasure in my music collection in this natural a light, like a great Beach Boys harmony, or a Keith Richards guitar riff, the things that drew me to the music in the first place are so much easier to appreciate.

I don't want to give the impression that they don't do bass well though. The difference for me is that the HE1000's bass is more "over there" if you want to focus on it, all a part of a larger whole, while still being as natural and full sounding as I've heard on any pair of headphones. The LCD-3's bass is just more "in your face" and it forces you to acknowledge the bass even when the music doesn't call for it, almost as if it's constantly being forced on you.

I don't want to sound like a fan boy at this point since I'm clearly in awe of these headphones, but if your on the fence about these, you seriously need to give them a try. But to make sure you give them a proper due I suggest that you make sure the environment is right before trying them to show how they truly shine. Turn the lights off, cut out the distractions, pour a glass of your favorite beverage, put on your favorite album - and get lost in the music - I bet you'll hear things you've never heard before in even your most well known music.

May 21, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #37 of 3,817
  So I guess the 560s don't compare well at all huh?

Listening to the HE1000 really makes you appreciate how fantastic the HE560 is. The two share quite a bit of similarities imo with the difference being the HE1000 having a bit more warmth, more relaxed sound, and a more tamed treble. Just a bit tho. The HE1000 is just overall more realistic sounding (like... really realistic) and with better control than the HE560. Considering the price of the HE560 makes you feel good about how good of a deal they are though 
beerchug.gif

Comparing the two is quite hard, because the HE1000 is quite obviously better, but it can be difficult to describe without exaggerating. Its not like comparing a low budget headphone to a TOTL headphone, where you will literally hear new things, or where everything is like a whole new world. No, the HE560 stands it ground well. It certainly has good detail and all that good stuff, but the superior control, layering, soundstage, imaging, and tuning, among other things, of the HE1000 really adds up and just gives it the magic of being that much more realistic than the HE560.

I cant stress the tuning of the HE1000 enough though... I adore it.

May 21, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #38 of 3,817
IMO the HE-6 are all those things compared to the 560.  So can the HE1000 be all those things compared to the HE-6?  Things are getting crazy.  I guess the bottom line is all three are pretty good headphones in their own right - I guess.

May 21, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #39 of 3,817
Imo, the differences between the 560 and he1000 is pretty substantial. A much better comparason would be he6 and he1000. Though there are some similarities between the 560 and 1000, there are few. The 560 are completely outclassed by the he1000. But thats not to say the 560 aren't an incredible value at 899. On their on, I would consider them highend even compared to a pair of hd800. The he1000 is just special. The only thing I would wish for at this point is a bit more bass slam, but that's it.

May 21, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #40 of 3,817
If I had to sum it up in short. The he6 is just a great blend of technicality and musicality. They sound fun and enaging with no "glaring " flaws. And they don't sacrifice technicality for misicality the way my w3000 does. But the he1000 doesn't just give you a good mix of both. They take it to the next level. The techicalities are among the best, and so is the musicality front. They can match the 009 as a technical marvel, manages to be as engaing as the he6(with the right amp and source), and manages to exceed my w3000 on the musicality front.

May 21, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #41 of 3,817
Imo, the differences between the 560 and he1000 is pretty substantial. A much better comparason would be he6 and he1000. Though there are some similarities between the 560 and 1000, there are few. The 560 are completely outclassed by the he1000. But thats not to say the 560 aren't an incredible value at 899. On their on, I would consider them highend even compared to a pair of hd800. The he1000 is just special. The only thing I would wish for at this point is a bit more bass slam, but that's it.

I agree the HE-560 can be comparable to the HD800 from my direct comparisons. I also agree that a little bit more bass slam on the HE-560 is one of the subtle improvements in tuning I would like.

I personally feel that the HE-1000 performs at a much higher technical level than the HE-560 and HD800, but how substantial the sonic differences are is subjective to individual perspectives.

May 21, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #42 of 3,817
  I never though I would think a pair of headphones could make my LCD-3F's look inferior, but the HE1000 is, IMO, clearly on another level from them (and my old HD-800's for that matter). Though I haven't heard them, I would be very curious to know how they compare with the SR-009 and the Abyss.

Switching back to my LCD-3's makes me realize how overpowering the bass actually is, how confined the soundstage is, and how there is definitely room for improvement in the treble. In fact, going off memory, I think the HE1000 surpasses the HD-800 in terms of soundstage, and that was their main appeal for me.

It's not all bad news for the LCD-3's though, I find that depending on my intended use I can actually prefer them more. For example, when I am on my computer and surfing the net I really like the very visceral feel of the LCD's. If I am not really focused on the music, I feel like they are more enjoyable than the HE1000. That being said, I also have a listening room in my house that I like to do more critical listening on (no computer for distractions!) and this is where the HE1000 shine compared to the LCD-3. With the lights off and the music on there is just so much detail that I'm able to pick out of even the most complex music. While that may sound like they are analytical, I wouldn't say so because the thing these have in spades is amazing TONE. Everything sounds so right. As a person who grew up with a piano in his house, I can honestly say I've never heard piano more faithfully reproduced from a pair of headphones (or speakers for that matter). Piano on the LCD-3's almost sound brittle in comparison. It also physically gives me chills being able to hear the simple things that bring me the most pleasure in my music collection in this natural a light, like a great Beach Boys harmony, or a Keith Richards guitar riff, the things that drew me to the music in the first place are so much easier to appreciate.

I don't want to give the impression that they don't do bass well though. The difference for me is that the HE1000's bass is more "over there" if you want to focus on it, all a part of a larger whole, while still being as natural and full sounding as I've heard on any pair of headphones. The LCD-3's bass is just more "in your face" and it forces you to acknowledge the bass even when the music doesn't call for it, almost as if it's constantly being forced on you.

I don't want to sound like a fan boy at this point since I'm clearly in awe of these headphones, but if your on the fence about these, you seriously need to give them a try. But to make sure you give them a proper due I suggest that you make sure the environment is right before trying them to show how they truly shine. Turn the lights off, cut out the distractions, pour a glass of your favorite beverage, put on your favorite album - and get lost in the music - I bet you'll hear things you've never heard before in even your most well known music.

You try the LCD-3 with the WA22 if you think the bass is too much and not the decware Tabo mkIII.  But do you think sub-bass is good on HE1k?

May 21, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #43 of 3,817

You try the LCD-3 with the WA22 if you think the bass is too much and not the decware Tabo mkIII.  But do you think sub-bass is good on HE1k?

Yes, I think the sub-bass is very good on the HE1000, you can definately feel it, but it's just presented in larger space so that it's not the focus like on the LCD-3.

May 21, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #44 of 3,817
  I agree with you.
... It was not what I heard at Jude's office almost 2 months ago. ...

Jose, did you happen to notice if Jude had the earlier prototype model with the vertical louver grills?
That might be why your new ones sound different (besides hours of use).

I wonder what affect changing the grills have on the sound?

May 21, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #45 of 3,817
A brand new Wells Audio Headtrip was on my doorstep yesterday, and dare I say that I have never heard anything better in my illustrious listening career?
I wish a Cavalli Liquid Gold would find it's way to my doorstep for an active comparison with the HE1K's. That would be the cat's meow!

Just waiting on the DAC or the aes/ebu digital cable so I can use my Emm Labs DAC. That will take it up a couple of more levels.

I don't think I will be getting much sleep in the weeks to come….
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back