Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
Apr 9, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #3,016 of 3,817
  I very much prefer HE1000 v2 to the Utopia.

Initial quick impression...I like the v2 a lot more than v1. Like many have said, it's a lot more forward and no longer sounds like a "lazy day" headphone. Detail retrieval, resolution etc are still no match for the Utopia but I can see why I'm growing into it. Definitely a less fatiguing headphone for long listening or late night listening sessions.

Still burning in so will come back to it in a couple of weeks time...

Apr 9, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #3,017 of 3,817

Initial quick impression...I like the v2 a lot more than v1. Like many have said, it's a lot more forward and no longer sounds like a "lazy day" headphone. Detail retrieval, resolution etc are still no match for the Utopia but I can see why I'm growing into it. Definitely a less fatiguing headphone for long listening or late night listening sessions.

Yes all headphones sure have their strength and weakness. So pick your poison or get them all 
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #3,018 of 3,817

Fully agree. v1 sounds veiled in comparison. But to my ears, the utopia is still a substantially better. And yes, in my notes i've put the v2 down as the headphone to pickup if you want a more relaxed session, or if you're going to be having a long listening session. Abyss and Utopia are high energy cans, so the v2 would still have its place.  

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #3,019 of 3,817

Yes all headphones sure have their strength and weakness. So pick your poison or get them all 
biggrin.gif

Get them all, then pick your poison based on mode / situation :D

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #3,020 of 3,817
Anyone running their HE1000 v2 off of the ifi Pro iCan amp? 

I heard it at Can Jam yesterday and loved the sound, but it was using an incredible DAC.  I am currently using a more modest Schiit Bitfrost Multibit DAC.

Apr 12, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #3,022 of 3,817
Anyone running their HE1000 v2 off of the ifi Pro iCan amp? 

I have that combo and that little amp is nothing short of amazing for its footprint. Bought a battery pack for transportability and the power is even better than most desktop amps.

I heard it at Can Jam yesterday and loved the sound, but it was using an incredible DAC.  I am currently using a more modest Schiit Bitfrost Multibit DAC.

Apr 12, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #3,023 of 3,817

Yes it sounds wonderful

Awesome.  I just picked up my HEKv2 yesterday and i'm a bit underwhelmed by the synergy with my Schiit Lyr 2.  Doesn't sound terrible, but the sound isn't as transparent and the instruments aren't as layered as i've heard on other amps.  It also lacks the black background i'd like.  But i know the latter is a result of using tubes most likely.

Apr 12, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #3,024 of 3,817
  Awesome.  I just picked up my HEKv2 yesterday and i'm a bit underwhelmed by the synergy with my Schiit Lyr 2.  Doesn't sound terrible, but the sound isn't as transparent and the instruments aren't as layered as i've heard on other amps.  It also lacks the black background i'd like.  But i know the latter is a result of using tubes most likely.

Funny, I had paired my HEKv2 with Schiit MJ2 (with the same tubes in the iCanPRO) initially and while didn't sound terrible, it was rather flat and unexciting.  That's why I bought the iCan PRO.

Apr 12, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #3,025 of 3,817

You need a better amp to realize the benefits of this headphone. 

Apr 12, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #3,026 of 3,817

The Lyr 2 really isn't good for the HE-1000, I use it, currently. I had a Liquid Carbon and switching between the both, the LC was far and away the better amp. The Lyr 2 sounds like soup compared to it. I'm going for Trilogy Audio's 931, I'm going to borrow it from my dealer this weekend and try it and probably pick one up when I return it on Tuesday. 

Apr 12, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #3,027 of 3,817

The Lyr 2 really isn't good for the HE-1000, I use it, currently. I had a Liquid Carbon and switching between the both, the LC was far and away the better amp. The Lyr 2 sounds like soup compared to it. I'm going for Trilogy Audio's 931, I'm going to borrow it from my dealer this weekend and try it and probably pick one up when I return it on Tuesday. 

i'll look forward to hearing about the pairing with the Trilogy Audio 931.  However when i upgrade I think i'll lean towards a balanced option.

And "soup" is exactly what it sounds like!  Some gourmet soup, but soup nonetheless.

Apr 12, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #3,028 of 3,817
  Funny, I had paired my HEKv2 with Schiit MJ2 (with the same tubes in the iCanPRO) initially and while didn't sound terrible, it was rather flat and unexciting.  That's why I bought the iCan PRO.

Big difference between the MJ2 and iCan?  Are you using a Schiit DAC with it?

I would like to keep using my Bitfrost Multibit, but I wonder if I will be making a huge sacrifice not running balanced output to the iCan.

Apr 12, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #3,030 of 3,817
  Big difference between the MJ2 and iCan?  Are you using a Schiit DAC with it?

I would like to keep using my Bitfrost Multibit, but I wonder if I will be making a huge sacrifice not running balanced output to the iCan.

I do have a near ToTL R2R Dac in kitsune lvl 3 holo spring https://kitsunehifi.com/product/springdacgreen/
  The difference is noticeable.  Especially being able to toggle SS mode or Tubes, and bass boosts makes a good difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back