Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
Jan 25, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #2,116 of 3,817
eek.gif
 Noooooo!

tongue.gif
 Don't talk to the Doctor about LC. You'll end up dreaming of ZOTL, ZOTL, ZOTL!

EDIT: And by LC, do you mean Crimson or Carbon 
redface.gif

Jan 25, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #2,117 of 3,817
Liked the HEK with the stock cables, got balanced Norne Zoetic cables for it, like them even better.

Jan 25, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #2,118 of 3,817
Carbon. I know what the doctor preaches but ZOTL is difficult to get in Europe so, ... :D

Jan 25, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #2,119 of 3,817
Liked the HEK with the stock cables, got balanced Norne Zoetic cables for it, like them even better.

My countdown to ZOTL appointment is 33 days. Is that enough time to order and get a Norne Zoetic cable?

Jan 25, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #2,120 of 3,817
Carbon. I know what the doctor preaches but ZOTL is difficult to get in Europe so, ... :D

Is it? I'd guess there aren't dealers, but I'm sure they ship. Most folks DO like to hear things before they buy, but I actually got the ZOTL from word of mouth, stuff I'd read, and a friend harping on how good it is (as I seem to be doing, judging by the preemptive warnings, lol! I'm actually trying to limit my ZOTL comments to the ZOTL thread as a result...just starting some tube rolling :) )

The LC is cheaper, and does a fine job with the HEK as well (but, should I say it, the ZOTL does sound better...). But, it is about $500 more in the US, not sure how that would translate internationally.

I'm sure the higher end Cavalli amps are also wonderful sounding with the HEK, but they are all considerably higher up in the audio-cost food chain. There is lots of other gear out there as well, ALO is well received in these parts...

Jan 25, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #2,121 of 3,817

My countdown to ZOTL appointment is 33 days. Is that enough time to order and get a Norne Zoetic cable?

I think the Norne stuff, made by Trevor, has LONG waiting times, not sure you'll get it in a month (I ordered a balanced extension, it's already more than a month, maybe 2, no clue when to expect it). He does good work, though, but it's a long haul waiting...

Jan 25, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #2,122 of 3,817
I think the Norne stuff, made by Trevor, has LONG waiting times, not sure you'll get it in a month (I ordered a balanced extension, it's already more than a month, maybe 2, no clue when to expect it). He does good work, though, but it's a long haul waiting...

Trevor is a master craftsman and his work does take awhile before one gets their order. I had to wait over 30 days, for each of my cables, but it was well worth the wait. Both of my cables a exquisite, look good and sound superb. :)

Jan 25, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #2,123 of 3,817
I put in my order this morning - I'm definitely looking forward to this. Even if it does not make it to me prior to the meet, these headphones seem to be deserving of the best sound possible.

Thanks for your input @doctorjazz and @reddog!

Jan 25, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #2,124 of 3,817
Is it? I'd guess there aren't dealers, but I'm sure they ship. Most folks DO like to hear things before they buy, but I actually got the ZOTL from word of mouth, stuff I'd read, and a friend harping on how good it is (as I seem to be doing, judging by the preemptive warnings, lol! I'm actually trying to limit my ZOTL comments to the ZOTL thread as a result...just starting some tube rolling
smily_headphones1.gif
)

The LC is cheaper, and does a fine job with the HEK as well (but, should I say it, the ZOTL does sound better...). But, it is about $500 more in the US, not sure how that would translate internationally.

I'm sure the higher end Cavalli amps are also wonderful sounding with the HEK, but they are all considerably higher up in the audio-cost food chain. There is lots of other gear out there as well, ALO is well received in these parts...

I have researched the MicroZolt a lot on this forum. The transformer-less technology is definitely intellectually interesting when it comes to a more direct pathway between the tubes and the headphones. Also I read that there are issues in the bass extention and I also saw that some owners of MicroZolt move on to other gear at a point of time... So I am interested in reading more point of views here particularly related to the HE1000 :) I have not been able to find comparisons on the MicroZolt 2.0 which is the one we can get new now and the original MicroZolt that can be found used only, Any hint?

Jan 25, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #2,125 of 3,817
Is it? I'd guess there aren't dealers, but I'm sure they ship. Most folks DO like to hear things before they buy, but I actually got the ZOTL from word of mouth, stuff I'd read, and a friend harping on how good it is (as I seem to be doing, judging by the preemptive warnings, lol! I'm actually trying to limit my ZOTL comments to the ZOTL thread as a result...just starting some tube rolling :) )

I have researched the MicroZolt a lot on this forum. The transformer-less technology is definitely intellectually interesting when it comes to a more direct pathway between the tubes and the headphones. Also I read that there are issues in the bass extention and I also saw that some owners of MicroZolt move on to other gear at a point of time... So I am interested in reading more point of views here particularly related to the HE1000 :) I have not been able to find comparisons on the MicroZolt 2.0 which is the one we can get new now and the original MicroZolt that can be found used only, Any hint?

Don't know what you've heard, I haven't found it to be bass shy with the HEK (though I've just started "tube rolling", never did this before, RCA's I just tried seem to have more bass, if that is desired. Waiting for them to fully break in, have been posting in the ZOTL thread about them). I never heard the ZOTL1, so I can't compare (DRBLUENEWMEXICO has both, says 2 is an improvement, haven't seen a whole lot more comparing them).
I heard the McIntosh headphone amp at Stereo Exchange (also a DAC, sells for about $4k), couldn't directly compare, but was fine sounding indeed...
Hope that helps

Jan 25, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #2,127 of 3,817

Original MicroZOTL versus MicroZOTL 2:  Ask drbluenewmexico.  He owns both.
As for the bass of the MicroZOTL 2, my observation is given here.
Another opinion about the bass is given by Zach of ZMF fame.

Jan 25, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #2,128 of 3,817

Original MicroZOTL versus MicroZOTL 2:  Ask drbluenewmexico.  He owns both.
As for the bass of the MicroZOTL 2, my observation is given here.
Another opinion about the bass is given by Zach of ZMF fame.

It sounds like it is going to go on the list of stuff to get. I do not thank you :)

Here is another review: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1015/David_Berning_microZOTL_2_Headphone_Amplifier_Review.htm

Jan 26, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #2,129 of 3,817
Got my Cardas Clear cable for HE1000 today.
Impression: disappointed
I was hoping for greater change in sound quality like I experienced with HD800,
but the HEK with the Cardas sounded pretty much the same as the stock cable except for slight improvement in sound stage...

Now that both cans have the same cable I confidently claim that HEK isn't superior over HD800.
Or I can say HD800 is better than HEK.
The biggest turn off is that HEK doesn't even have the same level of transparency as the HD800, despite its cost.
Not only that, I even prefer the HD800 when listening to rock and jazz, the genres HEK is supossed to sound better.
This leaves HEK no room to shine compared to HD800. It doesn't even sound more realistic than HD800.

Probably the only advantage, if you want to find any, is that it sounds softer, better for longer listening session.

I doubt getting a silver cable will change my opinion.
From my experience, planars have shown mediocre improvement with custom cables.

Conclusion: HD800 performs better than HE1000 and is more euphoric in all genres.

If anyone has found a set up for HE1000 to beat the HD800, please let me know.
I want to give it a try within my budget.

Jan 26, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #2,130 of 3,817
Conclusion: HD800 performs better than HE1000 and is more euphoric in all genres.

If anyone has found a set up for HE1000 to beat the HD800, please let me know.
I want to give it a try within my budget.

Not intended to answer your direction question - more along the lines of the differences between the two headphones and what I like.

I do not have a single system on which I would say both HD800 and HE1000 are at their best. You can see in my signature two systems I have setup where I like both headphones. Ignore the DACs please and focus more on the amplifiers. I do not like the HD800 on the Ragnarok (personal preference) but it sounds fantastic with planar headphones. The HE1000, while still good on my other setup, is certainly at a disadvantage in comparison. And I've seen suggestions to go further away from setups good for the HE1000 to get a sound best with the HD800. I recently heard a DNA tube amplifier, which sounded quite good (need more time with it) on the HD800. It started to make crackling sounds when played through the HE1000 - it simply could not supply enough current to drive the headphones.

So I wonder if the issue you have is more similar to mine, in that I have not yet found a single system to play well with both headphones. I've been recommended MicroZOTL2, but have not heard that system as yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back