Obscure Chinese DAPs
Mar 8, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #542 of 8,144

The L5 weighs 217g.

Well, it's still somewhat heavy, but I admit 217g isn't as bad as I feared

I'm very impressed with the apparent high quality of the L5 and the Lotoo PAW Gold (and the Cayin N6, to some extent), and I really hope Chinese DAPs continue to deliver this level of quality.

Some discussion about this, recently, in the ZX2 thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-hi-end-dap/540#post_11222059

Mar 8, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #543 of 8,144
As much as i love the lotoo paw gold it has a hard time dealing with dynamic iems. To a certain extend all the daps I came across have that problem.

But to my ears paw gold has taken the portable quality to a new level.

Calyx M isn't chienes but it also a dap that is not getting the attention it should get.

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #544 of 8,144
As much as i love the lotoo paw gold it has a hard time dealing with dynamic iems. To a certain extend all the daps I came across have that problem.

But to my ears paw gold has taken the portable quality to a new level.

I wonder if the very low output impedance necessary for reliable driving of multi-BA CIEMs might be a little counterproductive for controlling dynamic IEMs?

I lack the theoretical electronics engineering expertise about such interactions, so I'm merely speculating, here.

But I would prefer a high-end portable DAP to best service multi-BA CIEMs, so if there is a compromise involved, then, personally, it is one I am at ease with.

Mar 9, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #546 of 8,144

This company makes truly excellent valve amps and generally all their stuff is good. This would be a high quality dap I think.

Maybe high quality, but I consider 310g to be missing the point of a portable DAP.

Cans users may disagree, but then I don't really view cans as being truly portable, either.

DX100/HDP-R10 = 265g

HM-901 = 250g

Lotoo PAW Gold = 280g (too heavy, but claws a little merit back, by being uber-high build quality and more compact than HM-901 or DX100/HDP-R10)

I used to own a DX100 and although it sounded great, it was such a heavy brick it was absolutely useless in a jeans/trouser pocket. That was 265g.

At 310g, I might just as well get an iPod touch and strap it to a DAC-Amp...

Mar 9, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #547 of 8,144
Hello, everyone. People, does anyone know anything about the origin of Luxury&Precision L5's mysterious elements, which are  called 1812O, 1812C, 1812P, 1812M...etc?? Are they Luxury&Precision's in-house products or just some rebranded third-party chips from a small batch series? Are there any new impressions on L5 available (except for those in the post, where the reviewer wrote it was superior to ibasso DX90 and similar to Colorfly C4)?     

Mar 11, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #551 of 8,144
  The newest one is 1.0.0.2_34 i think, it is not on their website, but i got it from one of the chat group which has the designer in it. Is this what u were asking about? @rotant

Actually I am more curious about the sound quality and user interface, so it would great if you could share some of your first impression. 
wink.gif
 I am thinking of getting it from Taobao.

You are right. The latest one in their website is V1.0.1.4
http://www.luxuryprecision.net/download.html

Mar 11, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #552 of 8,144
The newest one is 1.0.0.2_34 i think, it is not on their website, but i got it from one of the chat group which has the designer in it. Is this what u were asking about? @rotant

Especially considering they're using resistive touch, that part is quite a bummer.
How is the smoothness and response on their UI?
And also the SQ in comparison to other DAPs :)

Mar 11, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #553 of 8,144
1.0.1.4 thats the firmware for LP5 not L5.
I am not much an impression writer though, probably not going to do a good job on it. =(
I had L5 for two weeks and my fx1100 is arriving tomorrow.  Might write something about these two tomorrow.

Mar 11, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #554 of 8,144
  1.0.1.4 thats the firmware for LP5 not L5.
I am not much an impression writer though, probably not going to do a good job on it. =(
I had L5 for two weeks and my fx1100 is arriving tomorrow.  Might write something about these two tomorrow.

Thanks. I just ordered it from Penonaudio. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back