Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Sep 14, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #7,411 of 7,495
I wonder if people have contacted the deceased's estate with these matters?
I did. After a LONG wait, the answer I got is there is no money left. Everyone who paid a deposit (or in full) - are SOL.

Sep 14, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #7,412 of 7,495
Sep 14, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #7,413 of 7,495
I wonder if people have contacted the deceased's estate with these matters?

Of course. I got in touch with his father, who told me that authorities and the bank have priority claims. What's left of the estate will then consider individual clients but he doubt there will be any left. Said he will get back to me if he hears anything. That was 6 months ago.

I paid for Telemachus almost in full. That's about AUD$7000. I got in touch with my bank to help resolve this but after 3 months, my bank said there's nothing they can do. I know of a Odyssey client who paid more than half. Another client and his friends paid half payments for 2 Telemachus and an Oblivion. You can easily see how much money is involved.

I don't want this to be a bitching, complaining session but clients who have paid must be prepared to consider it as lost and move on.

And please @NickT23 it doesn't concerned you so please don't make it like you're the defender of the faith. Coming on here and bad mouthing Tomas for not liking you - there has to be a reason because Tomas do not dislike people easily. He's the most easy, likeable person. Just refrain from posting after more negative things about him. It's not a decent thing to bash a person after he is dead.

Sep 14, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #7,414 of 7,495
Of course. I got in touch with his father, who told me that authorities and the bank have priority claims. What's left of the estate will then consider individual clients but he doubt there will be any left. Said he will get back to me if he hears anything. That was 6 months ago.
I see. These matters often take a year or more here. A lot of this money probably is tied up in components of 'difficult to estimate value'. Banks and authorites have no interest in or use for components.

Edit. I mean there might not be a lot of money left to claim refund from but components for specific amps. Your money has paid for these components.
Just a thought, I don't know any facts.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #7,415 of 7,495
I see. These matters often take a year or more here. A lot of this money probably is tied up in components of 'difficult to estimate value'. Banks and authorites have no interest in or use for components.

Edit. I mean there might not be a lot of money left to claim refund from but components for specific amps. Your money has paid for these components.
Just a thought, I don't know any facts.

Possibly. Anyway life goes on for me. I'm happily engage with another custom tube amp builder. I still cherish my Ultrasonic Studio amps and they will stay with me for life. :) See how pretty they are. Wait till you hear it.

3 amigos C.jpg

Sep 15, 2023 at 6:53 AM Post #7,416 of 7,495

I paid for Telemachus almost in full. That's about AUD$7000. I got in touch with my bank to help resolve this but after 3 months, my bank said there's nothing they can do. I know of a Odyssey client who paid more than half. Another client and his friends paid half payments for 2 Telemachus and an Oblivion. You can easily see how much money is involved.

I don't want this to be a bitching, complaining session but clients who have paid must be prepared to consider it as lost and move on.

And please @NickT23 it doesn't concerned you so please don't make it like you're the defender of the faith. Coming on here and bad mouthing Tomas for not liking you - there has to be a reason because Tomas do not dislike people easily. He's the most easy, likeable person. Just refrain from posting after more negative things about him. It's not a decent thing to bash a person after he is dead.
I dint bash anyone. Not black and white.

Sep 15, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #7,417 of 7,495
I guess many have never considered what could happen to large deposits on boutique amps when a one or two man shop goes under, either financially, or in this unfortunate case, death. My sympathies to all who lost out on what was one of the best builders of custom tube amps. I never had the fortune to listen to one of Tomas’s amps as I never pulled the trigger after getting close several times. To those that have his amps they must be some treasured items in your collection.
As far as deposits go, in the future reading these responses has taught me to be cautious with large deposits when dealing with small shops.
May the man be building amps for angels above. RIP

Sep 16, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #7,418 of 7,495
I guess many have never considered what could happen to large deposits on boutique amps when a one or two man shop goes under, either financially, or in this unfortunate case, death. My sympathies to all who lost out on what was one of the best builders of custom tube amps. I never had the fortune to listen to one of Tomas’s amps as I never pulled the trigger after getting close several times. To those that have his amps they must be some treasured items in your collection.
As far as deposits go, in the future reading these responses has taught me to be cautious with large deposits when dealing with small shops.
May the man be building amps for angels above. RIP
I‘m pretty sure I have the last amp Tomas ever delivered. More than once the thought that I got lucky has crossed my mind.

I understand the hesitation on deposits going forward but I don’t see any way around them if you want someone to build a high quality custom amp for you. Thankfully it doesn’t sound like this kind of situation is all that common. Although maybe I have experienced it before now that I think of it. I have always assumed that I had gotten ripped off by a builder but maybe he passed away too. I had bought an inexpensive, but nice sounding, 6bx7 amp from him on eBay. I liked it so much, and it was cheap enough I commissioned him to build 2 more so I could give them as gifts. He gave me a discount too. They were paid for outside of eBay and I never heard from him again. I can’t remember his name off the top of my head but he was a former builder (designer?) for Boulder audio I think. Anyway, not only did I never hear from him again, I couldn’t find any evidence of him again and his former employer hadn’t heard from him in years. That was back around 2004 or thereabouts and hadn’t thought about that again till now.

Nov 9, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #7,420 of 7,495
Hello everyone. Going to be selling my Citadel amp that was custom made for me by Tomas. Will be listing it in the Classifieds. If interested, please PM me for details. Thanks!!

That wouldn't last long. GLWTS. I won't be selling Oblivion and Odyssey. Together with Ultimate they are the trifecta for me.

IMG_8039.jpg

Nov 27, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #7,421 of 7,495
Thought I will revive this thread. :) There must be still many owners of Ultrasonic Studio amps. I started using Odyssey again. Will do that with Oblivion too. Tubes used in Odyssey are Brimar 6SL7gt, RT EL39 and GE 5U4G. Listening with Susvara and Yggdrasil, this is still my flagship. The one I love most of all. Thanks Tomas for a beautiful sounding amp. How long has it been? Since August 2021 I think.

IMG_8120.jpg

Nov 27, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #7,424 of 7,495
Yup 13th August 2021 it arrived. Still in the wrappers. :) What a day. 13th !

IMG_2862.jpg
I was never a big fan of silver chasis but this one looks awesome.

Nov 27, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #7,425 of 7,495
I was never a big fan of silver chasis but this one looks awesome.

I agree. :)

In the design stage, Tomas and I talk about using a wooden chassis but I wanted something to match with my grey Telefunken EL11 and EL12 spez tubes. That's when Tomas suggested this silver chassis. Match with the Hammond and Sowter transformers too.

Then there's Marlon's black Odyssey. Both are stunning looking and they are the only 2 Odyssey in the world. They are quite different actually. His use different drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back