OBH-11 first impressions
Aug 26, 2003 at 9:22 PM Post #31 of 43
Strange... this is with nothing connected to either the input or output RCA jacks? I can't hear (or measure) a thing with mine... wonder if it's some kind of manufacturing variation related to quality control. I think there have been several revisions of the OBH-11 as well (?).

I don't really want to crack the case open, but I wonder if the serial number indicates anything...

Aug 26, 2003 at 9:57 PM Post #32 of 43
fewtch,

My unit was bought new in May of 2000, so it is now more than 3 years old. I still like the sound it makes, but if I can replace the caps and PS to get a much better sound for cheap, I'm going to do it. I can't afford anymore equipment, so even selling this and buying a META42 isn't an option.

Aug 26, 2003 at 10:03 PM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
fewtch,

My unit was bought new in May of 2000, so it is now more than 3 years old. I still like the sound it makes, but if I can replace the caps and PS to get a much better sound for cheap, I'm going to do it. I can't afford anymore equipment, so even selling this and buying a META42 isn't an option.

You could get what, maybe U.S. $90-$100 for it? Maybe more on Ebay. Then the caps upgrade would have been ~$70, if Wilson is correct (unless you already have the caps lying around).

Total $170 recovered...

Headsave Transit Meta42 (comes with a DC jack for nonportable use) is $119 + shipping (maybe $20 to Ecuador) = $140. + Elpac regulated PS = $30.

Total $170 spent...

confused.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
confused.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2003 at 10:08 PM Post #34 of 43
Sorry, I meant the HeadSave Ultra. It is a bit over $230 as per their web site.

Aug 26, 2003 at 10:16 PM Post #35 of 43
Someone has a Creek OBH-11 on ebay and the bid is $103.50 with ~ 3 days left.

It assumes that you can actually find those ELNAs. If you can't get the ELNAs then you might want to talk to carlo to see what other caps might be a possibility but there's no guarantee that they will improve the Creek as much as the ELNAs but they will probably be cheaper than ELNAs.

Aug 26, 2003 at 10:16 PM Post #36 of 43
Well maybe you're right... probably there's not enough of a SQ difference between the Headsave Transit and Creek with caps and PS upgrade to bother with the whole thing.

And also (maybe it's just me) but I like the feeling of owning commercial audio gear more than owning DIY gear, unless it was something I built myself. The trend on head-fi of buying portable amps in peppermint tins is "cute" but I don't think I would want to carry one...
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2003 at 11:18 PM Post #37 of 43
Hey Doug,

After letting this bubble around in my subconscious for awhile, it occurs to me that a power upgrade is most likely to help the OBH-11 in the area of treble... I've noticed improved treble extension and cleaner treble before with other equipment when upgrading power (most notably a dirt-cheap studio-type headphone amp I have that I tried with a switching-type regulated power supply).

IMHO, the other weakness of the OBH-11 is bass (which I find to be rather slow and flappy -- hell, I can even hear the problem with a 35-40 Hz test tone). That's most likely due to the coupling caps used -- see this thread:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=42717

Anyway, it occurred to me that it may be possible to get away with only replacing about 2 caps (the others may not even matter all that much, as long as they're not total crap, which I'm sure they aren't).

Might be worth asking around about that before replacing the full complement with pricey caps. If you find anything out, please keep me updated -- if it's a matter of just 2 caps that aren't too hard to locate online, my courage with a soldering iron may increase dramatically.
wink.gif

Aug 27, 2003 at 12:18 AM Post #38 of 43
fewtch,

Thanks for the link and info. Indeed the input coupling caps could and would make the biggest difference in the amp's sound. It'd be interesting to see if anyone has replaced just those, and hearing their results would be nice. So far PinkFloyd is the only one I know of who has modded his Creek, but I'm pretty sure there are others. Count me in next year when I am in the states. I will just have all the caps changed at once to make it easy and be done with it. The caps inside this amp are very, very low quality, so I'm sure it will make a difference when they are removed.

Let us know if you do the input cap change. You could do the cap change in phases and be the lead guinea pig. You could report about each stage of the changes: PS, input caps, remaining caps.

Aug 27, 2003 at 12:33 AM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
Let us know if you do the input cap change. You could do the cap change in phases and be the lead guinea pig. You could report about each stage of the changes: PS, input caps, remaining caps.

I wouldn't know which caps are the input caps... do you remember which ones they were in the list you posted? It's been too long since I took those electronics classes...
rolleyes.gif

I'm also still curious about finding a good source in the USA, and what brands may be the best... I can do without $25-$50 boutique caps, there really must be something around that sound good and aren't subject to a 1000% dealer markup.
Quote:

The caps inside this amp are very, very low quality...

Not according to the threads I've read on this board... apparently many of them are of reasonable quality - Nichicon, Panasonic, etc. and there are a few no-names used (which doesn't necessarily imply "very, very low quality," just an unknown quality which could be bad, could be acceptable, whatever).

P.S. looks like we have something else in common, I was in the US Navy Reserves myself ('83-'89, Sonar Tech). Go weekend warriors...
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2003 at 12:53 AM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Wilson M.
Someone has a Creek OBH-11 on ebay and the bid is $103.50 with ~ 3 days left.

It assumes that you can actually find those ELNAs. If you can't get the ELNAs then you might want to talk to carlo to see what other caps might be a possibility but there's no guarantee that they will improve the Creek as much as the ELNAs but they will probably be cheaper than ELNAs.

Wilson, who's Carlo? I'd like this info myself, and also which caps are the coupling caps and where they are on the board. It would be a great help if you could steer me in the right direction. TIA

Aug 27, 2003 at 12:56 AM Post #41 of 43
fewtch,

Carlo is a moderator here, not to mention a genius when it comes to mods to certain items like the Melos SHA series and Sugden HeadMaster. He knows a LOT about electronics and could be a help to you in finding the caps you are looking for.

As to the input caps, I will have a chance to peek under the hood of the Creek again tomorrow, so if I can figure out which are the input caps from the solder traces and such I'll let you know. Another way is to cheat and PM PinkFloyd and see what he says.

Aug 27, 2003 at 12:58 AM Post #42 of 43
carlo is one of the moderators here. He's the guy who does the Melos modifications. He's played with a lot of other caps other than the ELNAs (Blackgates, Auricaps, etc). He might be able to give you an idea of the better sounding caps. I don't know if he has looked inside of the Creek. The larger ones tend to be the power caps and the smaller ones are caps related to the signal (whether they are actually in the signal path, you can't tell without looking at the PCB traces to determine the circuit).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back