O2 AMP + ODAC
Jan 4, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #4,876 of 5,671

Say that, just for example, given rails at +-VR, the VAS can emit an undistorted 8V RMS signal.
Say also that your current input source has a 1.2V RMS line out. You can in theory fine tune the VAS gain to 6.66x, and have both undistorted VAS output, and full utilization of the VAS voltage swing.
Now you plug a different DAC, with 1V RMS out, and you will be leaving on the floor, 15+% of swing.
Similarly, you plug a DAC with 1.5V RMS line out, and you will be having clipping out of the VAS stage.

I believe now I understand the clipping issue you're telling me about, but nwavguy had this explained on his blog, if I remember correctly. Anyway, adjusting max. gain based on VAS max. output voltage (for a max. THD of 1% should be OK, I'd say) for 2V input signal should perhaps resolve this clipping possibility.

For such a good price/quality ratio O2 has, I believe we can all live with a max. gain of 3.5X or we can start modding it. :)

Jan 4, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #4,877 of 5,671
The ODA amp has two clipping leds, tied to both +/- rails.

It has 4 gain settings via a selectable pot.

1x 2x 4x 8x and u can change as well...

At unity gain and 2x gain settings most everything in my music collection never clips at normal listening levels.

If I change the gain to 4x....and play "hot" recording the clipping leds light up a lot.

If I set the gain on my O2's to a similar 4X setting I can hear this clipping....but the O2 has no clipping indicators.

The music that clips easliy at a 4X gain setting seem to be those that are -10db or greater in replay gain...makes sense to me.

So to me having lower gains and an indicator that helps tell me if I am clipping or not is a good thing!

Alex

Note all my dacs are 2+ volts or just a little higher.....nothing less than this.

Jan 4, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #4,878 of 5,671
OK, I took a look at the schematic. He actually added even a buffer (BUF634) on top of the usual OPamp, in the current section (now with gain).
But the second stage, as it is, has a gain which depends on the pot position, whose value is now affecting the feedback ratio.
Moving the pot towards high values not only highers the ratio of the input signal, but also lower the resistance between the LME49880 output, and the OPA2140 input (which in turns highers the gain of the OPA2140 stage).
The clipping detector has (at least in the version of the schematic PDF I have found in that page), the zeners mounted in the wrong polarity (unless he really wants to detect clip at ~0.65V off the rails - instead of the 3.3V zener saturation value).
Also, some electrolytic capacitors are mounted with the wrong polarity (C39 and C41 for example), but he is likely going to notice that when he does the PCB :D
Me that like simplicity, I would have dropped the LME49880 stage altogether (or use that instead of the OPA2140), use a normal non inverting OPA2140 stage, bump its gain to 4..6x, drop the clipping detector which would have no more use at that point, and save some $$ in components, power consumption, and PCB real estate :wink:
But sometimes when you like to fiddle with electronics for hobby, the simplest path is not the one giving more satisfaction. I have found myself falling in that trap time to time.

Jan 4, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #4,880 of 5,671
The symbols on the schematic PDF are that of polarized capacitors. Could be just wrong symbol selection.
Looking at their (low) capacity, it is very likely they are not polarized capacitors indeed.

Jan 5, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #4,882 of 5,671
This thread has been pretty active lately and I can't keep up with the stuff you guys are talking about. I have been contemplating buying this amp/dac combo directly from JDS Labs to drive my MadDog headphones. Would you guys recommend -not- doing that?

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #4,884 of 5,671
  This thread has been pretty active lately and I can't keep up with the stuff you guys are talking about. I have been contemplating buying this amp/dac combo directly from JDS Labs to drive my MadDog headphones. Would you guys recommend -not- doing that?

Hi, 

I believe http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/102501-mayflower-electronics-o2odac-combo-fostex-t50rp-v1-in-depth-review/ and http://www.head-fi.org/t/686489/mrspeakers-alpha-dog-review-and-comparison-with-hd600-and-k701 should help you out.

Anyway, those drivers support up to 3W of power, but I don't really understand why would someone need so much power for 50ohms/98dB-SPL headphones (2x60mW should suffice for a SPL of 115dB). In case you'll ever need to upgrade to higher-end planars, perhaps you'll need to choose a more powerful amplifier, but for T50RP/MadDogs/AlphaDogs ODAC/O2 combo should be more than enough.

Jan 13, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #4,887 of 5,671
My O2 amp is suddenly acting up. It produces a pulsing tone/noise at about 600bpm when powered on (even when not plugged into a DAC). Anyone has any idea what this could mean?

Jan 13, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #4,888 of 5,671
  My O2 amp is suddenly acting up. It produces a pulsing tone/noise at about 600bpm when powered on (even when not plugged into a DAC). Anyone has any idea what this could mean?

Hum does your O² have Internal Batteries ?  I got something similar only when batteries were runing low , but yours can be defective after charge / decharge cycles ?

Jan 13, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #4,889 of 5,671

Hum does your O² have Internal Batteries ?  I got something similar only when batteries were runing low , but yours can be defective after charge / decharge cycles ?

Yes they do. I'll leave the charger in over the night and report back tomorrow. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back