O2 AMP+ ODAC Combo Question
Aug 13, 2012 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12
Is the O2 + ODAC combo the same size as the O2 amp by itself? If so, I would like to know your experiences with it as a "portable" device and if the amp can still function off of battery. 

Also, could anyone tell me their experiences with the AC adapter? Is it annoying? 

I forgot, one more question sorry: if I order from JDS Lab, can I request a 1/4 (6.5mm) size hole? 

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:
Is the O2 + ODAC combo the same size as the O2 amp by itself? If so, I would like to know your experiences with it as a "portable" device and if the amp can still function off of battery. 

Also, could anyone tell me their experiences with the AC adapter? Is it annoying? 

I forgot, one more question sorry: if I order from JDS Lab, can I request a 1/4 (6.5mm) size hole? 

I'm pretty sure the o2+odac combo is taller than the o2 alone, so whether it is portable is up to you. Personally, i wouldn't even use the o2 without the odac as a portable amp. As many people have said, it's more transportable than portable. And as for the 1/4 jack, i'm pretty sure you can't get them to put one in because there isn't enough room. There will be one on the oda, which is the objective desktop amp. I'm not sure when it's coming out, but i'm personally waiting for that one and skipping the o2.

Aug 13, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:
I'm pretty sure the o2+odac combo is taller than the o2 alone, so whether it is portable is up to you. Personally, i wouldn't even use the o2 without the odac as a portable amp. As many people have said, it's more transportable than portable. And as for the 1/4 jack, i'm pretty sure you can't get them to put one in because there isn't enough room. There will be one on the oda, which is the objective desktop amp. I'm not sure when it's coming out, but i'm personally waiting for that one and skipping the o2.

Yeah I'm waiting for the ODA but getting a bit impatient :) The main reason being its 1/4 jack and its own power supply. I wonder how big the ODA will be, and whether if I want to get the ODAC integrated in it. 

Aarghh. I think a not-too-expensive portable DAC would be really nice to have with my laptop when I go outside. 

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #4 of 12

To put ODAC inside the O2 housing, you need to remove the batteries inside O2 (which is where the ODAC will be placed) and turn it into a permanent desktop rig and use the adapter to supply power. So it is no long portable.

Also, I don't think the PCB JDS is using has the space for 1/4 jack.

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #6 of 12
Aug 14, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
To put ODAC inside the O2 housing, you need to remove the batteries inside O2 (which is where the ODAC will be placed) and turn it into a permanent desktop rig and use the adapter to supply power. So it is no long portable.
Also, I don't think the PCB JDS is using has the space for 1/4 jack.

Oh I see that makes sense ClieOS. 

Anyone bother to use the O2 amp with a mediocre soundcard? If I ever use these for portable use, I'll be using it with my laptop, which has a mediocre soundcard. 

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #8 of 12
Well, if you are already willing to carry O2 around, then carrying ODAC on a separate casing doesn't seem that awkward anymore, right?

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #11 of 12
I don't think the basic layout of the PCB will have a lot of change. But the key to size is the power supply. I didn't really pay much attention to what power supply NwAvGuy has planned to use, but if it is integrated inside the housing then you can expect it to be much bigger than O2 will be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back