NYC Shopping Extravaganza
Oct 14, 2003 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

stymie miasma

500+ Head-Fier
Hi folks - particularly NYC folks!

I am planning my maiden-voyage to NYC, a mere 8 months after setting foot in lovely Philadelphia. The purpose of my trip will be to bolster my winter wardrobe, so as a NYC virgin, I am seeking some advice on the best places to go shopping.

If it helps, I'll be seeking jeans, jackets, sweaters etc. I'm thinking it would probably be helpful if I described my 'style', but the more I think about it, the more I realise I don't really have a style
rolleyes.gif

It is safe to say that I don't like fancy, shiny stuff (read: boy band clothing) and I don't really like preppy stuff. I do like simple, practical clothes. Some brands that I do like are Levis, Ben Sherman, Dickies, Lucky Brand, Vans, Dr. Martens.... Also, I have a strong dislike of cargo pants
wink.gif

I'll leave it at that for now - please chime in with your suggestions!

Oct 15, 2003 at 12:43 AM Post #4 of 16
i know it's weird that i'm responding to this and i don't live in NY, but when i was there 3 years ago on vacation, there's a NY-only chain called H&M that's kinda like old navy, only cheaper. gotta be careful, though, because some of their stuff does border on the "shiny" style you're avoiding. but it was fun to come back here to good ol' mud and sticks georgia with (cheap) clothes from 5th avenue
biggrin.gif
. people believe it's designer if you tell em.

[edit]- i just realized, but i really sound like a country simpleton, eh?
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2003 at 12:54 AM Post #5 of 16
Yeah if you are going to be buying a lot saving on tax is a factor. But if you want to go to the city, just be prepared to walk. I say start on canal st. and broadway and walk up broadway.

Oct 15, 2003 at 1:19 AM Post #6 of 16
Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice - Broadway between Canal and Houston seems to be where most of the mainstream action is. I have been talking to a few people from work, and they are suggesting that I might enjoy venturing into Greenwich Village and other places for the smaller, more interesting stores.

We shall see...all I know is that living in Philadelphia is pretty crap for shopping, unless you want to get around in wu-wear
wink.gif

Oct 15, 2003 at 1:29 AM Post #7 of 16
Ooooh - one more question - good music stores in NYC??Something a little more left-of-centre than Tower et al.

Oct 15, 2003 at 1:39 AM Post #8 of 16
For your shopping I would suggest either SOHO or 5th Av and Madison from the 39th Street and up, towards the Central Park. As for the music - J&R in downtown, Virgin store on the Union Square, and my favorite one - Academy of Sound, a little pre-owned CDs shop on the West 18th street between 5th and 6th Av. They've got HUGE selection of classical and jazz CDs for bargain prices.

Oct 15, 2003 at 2:25 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by ManiacSmile
For your shopping I would suggest either SOHO or 5th Av and Madison from the 39th Street and up, towards the Central Park. As for the music - J&R in downtown, Virgin store on the Union Square, and my favorite one - Academy of Sound, a little pre-owned CDs shop on the West 18th street between 5th and 6th Av. They've got HUGE selection of classical and jazz CDs for bargain prices.

I love that place!

You can get new CDs for $6.99!!!
Though trying to find what you want in the bidget section is a bit overwhelming.
eek.gif

Oct 15, 2003 at 3:30 AM Post #11 of 16
A few of my fave places...

Clothing: along Broadway between 8th Street to Canal Street. They're lots of stores to choose from, like the Gap, Banana Republic, H & M, Old Navy, a local jeans chain called OMG (this would be much to your style as they carry lots of Levi's jeans, t-shirts, Schott leather jackets, Oakley apparel, etc.), the Levi's Store, Fossil store, an Army/Navy store which name escapes me right now, Swatch store, A/X, Sunglass Hut, etc...

Shoes: West 8th Street between 6th Avenue to Broadway. Dr. Martens, Vans, Airwalk galore.

Music: St. Marks Place between Cooper Square and 2nd Avenue. I could easily spend a whole day just on this city block, looking through used CD bins and new CDs at low discount prices. People watching on this block is great as well; amongst the tattooed, pierced, and mohawked folks.

Food: Pommes Frites on 2nd Avenue around the corner from St. Marks Place. Best belgian fries I've ever tasted. Comes in more than thirty different sauces too! Lombardi's on Spring Street between Mott and Mulberry Streets. Best coal oven pizzas I've ever tasted. comes only by pies though. I believe it's the OLDEST pizzaria in NYC. Yama on Houston Street between LaGuardia Place and Thompson Street. Some of the best and freshest Sushi I've ever tasted. Their Toro is like buttah! Carmine's on 44th Street between Broadway and 8th Avenue. Southern Italian Family Style heaven.

everything (except for Carmine's) is within walking distance. have fun!
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2003 at 4:06 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by ManiacSmile
KR,

I know exactly what you're talking about..and that " c'mon, move already " look on their faces. Another good thing is that they're getting new CDs while you're IN the store
tongue.gif

Better yet going through the new pile before they get a chance to put them in their places at the counter
evil_smiley.gif

I once got a CD that was so new it wasn't priced yet, they figured out a price and I got it
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 15, 2003 at 5:22 AM Post #13 of 16
Another vote for Academy of Sound and St Mark's Pl.

There are plenty of left-of-center music joints in the East Village. My more indy-music-minded friends spend most of their Saturdays album hunting there. Pick up the free weekly Village Voice for details (Wednesdays).

--Chris

Oct 15, 2003 at 10:37 PM Post #14 of 16
NYC, and Manhattan in particular is one big shopping mall. It depends what you are looking for but here are some good shopping areas:

Broadway (8th Street to Canal): As you move south from the NYU area to Soho ending at the fringes of Chinatown, you'll come across many clothing stores (chains, brand names, original, vintage), shoe stores and other related stuff.

5th Avenue (14th to 23rd): I pefer this southern stretch of 5th avneue over the more popular Midtown stretch. A lot of good clothing stores are here including Club Monaco, Armani Exchange, Banana Republic, Gap, J. Crew, Kenneth Cole, Zara, Sketchers, Express, etc.

34th Street (5th Avenue to 7th Avenue): Here you will find a lot of the same brand name retailers as above plus H&M, Aldo Shoes, some leather shops and of course Macy's, the largest department store in the world. They have a nice Men's department in the 7th Avenue Building (Cellar - Athletic clothes, 1st Floor - Shirts and Ties, Balcony Floor - young men's casual wear, 2nd Floor - brand names including Polo, DKNY, Hilfiger, etc., and 3rd Floor - shoes and suits).

New York also has lots of good discount Clothing stores that are worth spending time in.

Daffy's - Many locations in Manhattan including the 3 areas I mentioned above. Biggest store is across the street from Macy's at Broadway and 34th street. Good selection of European designers, leathers coats and shoes.

TJ Max & Filene's Basement - 6th Avneue & 18th Street - Lots of clothes, shoes and coats to browse through.

Century 21 - Church and Dey Streets - Across from the former WTC, this place is always crowded with tourists, but good bargains to be found if you're willing to face the crowds.

Burlington Coat Factory - 6th Avenue and 23rd Street - Good place to buy suits, dress shirts and of course a jacket/coat.

Lohmans - 7th Avneue and 16th Street - An okay selection of designer clothing, but pricier than other discount places.

ENJOY YOUR SHOPPING!

wink.gif

Oct 16, 2003 at 11:15 PM Post #15 of 16
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! Looks like I am in for a busy day, plus I should have some lovely rain to deal with.

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back