NWZ-A867 vs J3
Mar 19, 2012 at 8:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Szadzik

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi All,

I am trying to upgrade storage of my current X1060 (32GB).

My choice is between 32GB J3 with a 64GB uSDXC and A867.

I currently have to keep two libraries - one for the Sony in mp3 and one for my home rig in flac - a bit annoying. 

Do you think I will be happy SQ-wise if I buy the Cowon and use flac with my MX980s/ IEMs (currently M3, but I am trying to decide on buying some better IEMs) over Sony A867 with mp3?

Price doe snot matter and the only reason I do not want a DX100 is because I need better battery life, smaller form factor and USB charging for on-the-go use.

Apple is not for me as I hate synchronization sofware, drag'n'drop only for me.

Mar 26, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #3 of 9
given your price does not matter comment, it appears that people around head-fi seems to recommend the sony z1000 a lot, although i'm not sure i believe their claims. 

it all depends if you really like sony's warm house sound, if you don't feel it's important than the j3 is definitely a good choice if you are willing to eq/bbe, without the enhancements, the player sounds muffled to my ears with my iems.

given your statements, number of songs wise, you are not going to get more flac in the 32+64gb j3, than then 32gb x1060, so it appears you are not looking for a storage (in the form of increased number of songs) upgrade, unless of course you are willing to carry around multiple 64gb cards. 

i personally don't see the point in upgrading from x1060 to z1000/a876. upgrading from one top of the line to another usually gives minimal benefits. upgrading your iems should be a much better choice, from mx980 to w4 is a much bigger jump sq wise. but if you need more storage then you won't be disappointed with j3 as long as you are willing to put in the time to test out the eq/bbe.

good luck!

Mar 26, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
given your price does not matter comment, it appears that people around head-fi seems to recommend the sony z1000 a lot, although i'm not sure i believe their claims. 

it all depends if you really like sony's warm house sound, if you don't feel it's important than the j3 is definitely a good choice if you are willing to eq/bbe, without the enhancements, the player sounds muffled to my ears with my iems.

given your statements, number of songs wise, you are not going to get more flac in the 32+64gb j3, than then 32gb x1060, so it appears you are not looking for a storage (in the form of increased number of songs) upgrade, unless of course you are willing to carry around multiple 64gb cards. 

i personally don't see the point in upgrading from x1060 to z1000/a876. upgrading from one top of the line to another usually gives minimal benefits. upgrading your iems should be a much better choice, from mx980 to w4 is a much bigger jump sq wise. but if you need more storage then you won't be disappointed with j3 as long as you are willing to put in the time to test out the eq/bbe.

good luck!

I have experience in how portability is important when it comes to this gear and thus do not want stuff like Z series or DX100. They are not portable enough for me.

I want clear, not too digital sound. Remember that muffled might mean your iems are not detailed enough.

I have decided to first see if I like J3 and if I do not I will probably stick with Sony.

Going from X to A/ J3 is not about upgrading per se, it is about upgrading memory size and that is the biggest problem with my X and practically the only reason for looking for something new.

Mar 26, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #5 of 9
I recently sold my X1050 and purchased the Japanese version of the A867. I wanted to reclaim my battery life and I needed the 64GB to fit more 320k source files on. Unlike the European model it comes digital noise-cancelling. I love using that feature with the stock buds to listen to podcasts on buses and trains.

After a couple of months I'm absolutely loving it. To give a broad-brush comparison to the X, I think the sound is altogether more clinical, with better sound stage and instrument separation. This isn't to say it's cold - it's still every inch a Sony. For me, the X's weakness was the stereo crosstalk and narrow soundstage. Die-hard fans of the X's trademark sound may be disappointed, but I think it's a great refinement of the Sony house style. I combine it with very warm cans (ESW9) and find it to be perfect (for me) with no EQ or any effects enabled. They're sensitive 'phones so I only need to use 10/30 on the volume for a pleasant and involving experience.

Mar 26, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
I recently sold my X1050 and purchased the Japanese version of the A867. I wanted to reclaim my battery life and I needed the 64GB to fit more 320k source files on. Unlike the European model it comes digital noise-cancelling. I love using that feature with the stock buds to listen to podcasts on buses and trains.

After a couple of months I'm absolutely loving it. To give a broad-brush comparison to the X, I think the sound is altogether more clinical, with better sound stage and instrument separation. This isn't to say it's cold - it's still every inch a Sony. For me, the X's weakness was the stereo crosstalk and narrow soundstage. Die-hard fans of the X's trademark sound may be disappointed, but I think it's a great refinement of the Sony house style. I combine it with very warm cans (ESW9) and find it to be perfect (for me) with no EQ or any effects enabled. They're sensitive 'phones so I only need to use 10/30 on the volume for a pleasant and involving experience.

Liking analytical sound more than warm, I have to say I am very happy reading your comparison. I never need sound cancelling as I assume W4s will be better anyway. I will really like to see how J3 comparesto A867.

Apr 9, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #7 of 9
Hi mate,

Where did you buy your Japanese A867 from?

I have just ordered a UK spec one from amp3 uk but would cancel order & then order JP spec if from reputble / trustworthy dealer.

Thanks

Apr 9, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #8 of 9
+1 for the J3.  Fantastic sound choices, a little quirky in the UI, but lots of options once you get used to it.

Jun 5, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #9 of 9
Hi,

Would an English language-only person have any difficulties using the Japanese version?  Like menus, recharging, etc?  Your experience would be greatly appreciated.  I'm a huge Sony fan but can't get the specs I want in the US or UK.

Best,

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back