Nura: Headphones that learn and adapt to your unique hearing
Jul 12, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #16 of 43

This is interesting, but odd. How do we gauge that a "super-threshold test" result is "accurate", if it's testing for how our ears respond to frequencies that we can't hear? In other words, how do we verify that the results are "accurate" in any way?

I thought about this too myself, and I think in a regular "threshold" test, is to find the point at which we can't hear anymore, ie our threshold of hearing.  So I took "super-threshold" test to mean in the range that we can actually hear in, ie above that threshold which we can't hear.  Otherwise, I don't think it makes any sense if it's measuring frequencies we can't hear because it seems the point of the technology is to find the frequencies that we're not hearing properly and enhance those.

Jul 15, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #17 of 43
  But what reason is there to believe that Nura's changes will always be *perceived* favourably?  Human preferences are undoubtedly constrained by biology and evolution, but they are also impacted by culture and individual experience.

This question will eventually be answered, or at least rendered moot, by listening to the Nuras for a few months.  That is coming for me - - - I'm a KickStarter supporter.   
beyersmile.png

I wondered about that too. I can think of two reasons. 
1) As you pointed out, hearing loss due to age. Nura can probably help compensate for that to some extent.
2) Unbalanced frequency sensitivity between ears. For example, it's not clear if the brain would prefer the louder bass from the left ear just because it's used to it.

Since both 1 and 2 apply to me, I'm a supporter. Hope they won't incur too many delays.

Jul 31, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #19 of 43
True science and "audiophila" are often contradict. There is also patent and "turf" wars , that could come into play as to why not everyone applying it. And than of course that the method just isn't all that. We shall see......hear.:)

Jul 31, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #20 of 43
I dont understand why if it is effective the other companies are not applying it.

Well, because it might affect your ability to sell multiple pairs of headphones. If this works, you don't have to buy several to find out which one you like.

Jul 31, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #21 of 43
True science and "audiophila" are often contradict. There is also patent and "turf" wars , that could come into play as to why not everyone applying it. And than of course that the method just isn't all that. We shall see......hear.
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe there is not so precise and also the electronic components built into the headphone for doing the ''profile'' thing may affect the drivers sound quality. To me it seems that it has potential, but the people who tries it seems to be blown away for the fact that the headphones have thunderbolt that is digital and headphones are properly amplified compared to listening trought the headphone jack from an iphone.
Im a little happy about this new product but also i have to admit that the challenge of choosing the right hp for you it nice :)

Sep 27, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #22 of 43
this will only stay on consumer level though.
reference headphones will (probably) stay on market because nura will change certain frequency- IE you won't hear the original recording, but a recording thar has been personalized for you.

But yeah, big problem for fat cats printing out beats and bose.
(who knows, they might buy the company off)

Sep 28, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #23 of 43
  this will only stay on consumer level though.
reference headphones will (probably) stay on market because nura will change certain frequency- IE you won't hear the original recording, but a recording thar has been personalized for you.

But yeah, big problem for fat cats printing out beats and bose.
(who knows, they might buy the company off)

Depends on what you mean by "hearing the original recording" -
1) the physical acoustic signals that arrive at your ear drums, or
2) the sensory signals that your ears send to your auditory cortex, or
3) what you actually perceive consciously after processing by your brain's auditory networks

3 is the real deal that we can't really do squat about - fancy some neural rewiring? Also, what is the gold standard of perception, not just auditory but also aesthetic?
2 is the level that Nura is trying to address: correcting sensory apparatus bias.
1 is the level other headphones/amps/equalizers operate at.

Sep 28, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #24 of 43

Depends on what you mean by "hearing the original recording" -
1) the physical acoustic signals that arrive at your ear drums, or
2) the sensory signals that your ears send to your auditory cortex, or
3) what you actually perceive consciously after processing by your brain's auditory networks

3 is the real deal that we can't really do squat about - fancy some neural rewiring? Also, what is the gold standard of perception, not just auditory but also aesthetic?
2 is the level that Nura is trying to address: correcting sensory apparatus bias.
1 is the level other headphones/amps/equalizers operate at.

1) and 3), IE your "flay frequency".
but we have no idea how a flat frequency sound like.
I know I'll be buying Nura when it gets released on market...

Oct 23, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #26 of 43
Wonder how these compare to the Even H1 and Audeara?

For those who think these will not be good for people mixing music, I don't understand that philosophy. I currently mix music on headphones with a certain flat(ish) response (AKG K7XX), but everyone who listens back to my music will not be using the same cans or amp, nor will they have the same hearing profile as me, so they will NEVER hear the music exactly as I heard it when I mixed it. Now, if I mixed on these Nura headphones and everyone used the Nura cans for playback, then everyone would in fact hear pretty much exactly what I did.

I have some hearing loss issues, so using my AKG's, I could be mixing some frequencies way too loud for other people that I hear at a much lower level, but again, this would not be the case if this technology is adopted by all. I'm not saying the Nura will be the best ever, another company may end up doing it better, but this sort of calibration, is the way to go and if adopted by those making music and those listening to music, then we will finally all be hearing the same thing (more or less).

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #29 of 43
"Wireless performance is very good though, and the Nuraphones support aptX HD. This gets you near-lossless sound quality when attached to an Android 8.0 phone."

No. aptX HD works if supported at OS *and* hardware level. On my Nexus 6P I can get aptX with Oreo and a simple software mod, but there's no way I could get aptX HD, AFAIK.

Edit: I'd be curious to understand if these require a "normal" seal of the internal driver, as with regular IEMs or if it's more forgiving, considering the bass comes from the outer driver.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #30 of 43

Users who are viewing this thread

Back