NuForce uDAC5 - Ultraportable Desktop DAC with ESS DAC, DSD256 / 24bit/384kHz PCM, 140mW @ 32 Ohm
Nov 5, 2016 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

nmatheis

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all. @jyri at NuForce-Optoma sent me their new uDAC5 a while back, which is basically a souped-up version of the uDAC3. I couldn't find a thread for the uDAC5, so I thought I'd start one to see if anyone else has experience with it. If so, please drop some impressions here!

Personally, I've just started really playing around with it. I used it last night with my AudioQuest Nighthawks to watch an episode of The Flash on my MacBook Pro and then listened to the 2015 high dynamic range remaster of Rush's masterpiece Hemispheres. The uDAC5 is going for $199 on Amazon right now, and for that price I have no complaints with what I've heard so far. Right now, I'm thinking it would make a fantastic DAC for my work laptop, so I'll probably load up a portable hard drive with music and use the uDAC to listen through my new Maze 99 Classics whenever I get the chance. I'll pop back into the thread from time to time to provide updates on what I think of the uDAC5. 

And as an aside, I mentioned the AQ Nighthawks up above. I'm really liking these headphones and find they have similar (but not identical) tonality to some of the HEM IEM. If you like Nighthawk, I'd suggest looking into what people think of HEM2, HEM6, and HEM8. You can always check out my review to see what I thought of them. If NuForce-Optoma comes out with a mid or upper tier headphone, I think it'd be right up my alley given what I've heard from their IEM so far.

LINK to uDAC5 product page.

1. ESS SABRE Hyperstream DAC for the best file conversion
  2. High-performance 140mW@32 ohm headphone amplifier
  3. Supports virtually all file formats including DSD256 and up to 24bit/384kHz PCM
  4. USB-powered, no external power supply required
  5. Supports Windows and Mac
  6. USB Input
  7. RCA L+R, digital coax, 3.5mm Outputs
  8. 2.68 x 1.77 x 0.83 inches, 3.53 ounces
  9. One-year warranty

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #5 of 5
I was looking for an inexpensive USB DAC with pre outs and volume control for a pair of monitors and ended up with this because I couldn't find any better alternatives.  Im finding that the headphone out sounds pretty terrible with my ER4s and RE400s.  The first impression is that it sounds mediocre and as I listened more I couldn't really come up with any positive attributes of the sound at all.  I actually prefer the headphone output on my MBP.  Anyone else finding the same thing?  Is this a total rip off?

At the moment Im thinking I should have gone with the Udac3 for <$100, if its going to sound like crap it might as well be cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back