Nuforce S-1 vs Audioengine A2
Sep 1, 2008 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

sochee

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,

I'm currently looking at these 2 options for a desktop set-up. My first option is using an iBasso D2 Boa (headphone amp) as USB DAC+AMP combo and plugging the A2s into this - since the A2s are self powered I think the D2 can handle them. This will also allow me to unplug and use the D2 on the go. My other option is suckering in and buying the Icon/S-1 set from Nuforce, after having read their propaganda in many places :p However, I can't decide which ones are better - if the S-1s are self powered (and the Icon is a desktop speaker amp), technically they should sound better (and cost a lot more), right?

Edit: after some more research I figured out the S-1 is single-driver (which kinda worries me) and subsequently can't do bass very well, which is sort of important for me, being a techno addict
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #2 of 16
The A2s sound great to me plugged into mini jack of my MacBook. For research purposes I tried out my Total Bithead USB connection, and the difference was minimal. For 200 beans, this is the most convincing bass available. Can't compare to NuForce, but can't recommend the A2s highly enough. I think you'd have to drop more than twice as much cash to notably improve your desktop setup.

Sep 2, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #3 of 16
Yeah, I don't like the idea of single driver speakers. They can work fine for restricted nearfield listening, but you aren't going to get great dispersion and super detailed highs out of a single driver speaker. I haven't heard the S1 yet but even as an Icon owner, I find the hype hard to believe.

The advantage of the Icon is really that it is a desktop amp, and you can use ANY speaker you want easily...I'd take a set of PSB Alphas or Paradigm Atoms myself personally.

Sep 2, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #4 of 16
I have not heard the NuForce but am using the A12's in my dorm. For nearfield they sound great to me but can also crank if the situation warrants. The bass seems real enough for me, its not going to shake the walls. You will miss the physical impact but for the price the sound is awesome.

Sep 2, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I don't like the idea of single driver speakers. They can work fine for restricted nearfield listening, but you aren't going to get great dispersion and super detailed highs out of a single driver speaker. I haven't heard the S1 yet but even as an Icon owner, I find the hype hard to believe.

The advantage of the Icon is really that it is a desktop amp, and you can use ANY speaker you want easily...I'd take a set of PSB Alphas or Paradigm Atoms myself personally.

I've been actually looking at loads of speakers...Atoms, Ushers, Audioengines, Epos, Infinity...thing is, the S-1s are some of the cheapest, and pair well with the Icon. I'm on a budget so getting a separate DAC + amp for $500 or more isn't really possible, which is why I'm getting the Icon. Atoms and such are stand mounted, while I need these for my desk; Ushers are expensive and I can't find them anywhere, etc., so I was wondering about the S-1s.

Sep 2, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #6 of 16
I'm not too worried about bass since I might get a Velodyne for the Icon's out a bit later, bass on bookshelves is hard to find anyway. Forgot to say I also looked at PSBs and NHTs, just that I can't find them sold anywhere
frown.gif
(looked on Audiogon, Ebay, Craiglist, official site)

Edit: I found a pair of Epos ELS 3's on Ebay for the same price as S-1s. Might go with those instead, and the icon amp.
Edit to the edit: Found the PSB Alpha B1's for the same price, considering those too based on the things I read. But definitely not going for the S-1 anymore
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #7 of 16
Bump!

Anyone else hear the NuForce Icon / S-1 and able to comment on its performance vs the AudioEngine A2 or A5.

I like blues/jazz/etc and am not a big bass head and have been looking at the NuForce/AudioEngine options.

I might also just get a pair of Totem Dreamcatchers with a small amp and use it near field. I used to own two totem speakers that were to die for but that pushes the price.

Oct 15, 2009 at 11:36 AM Post #8 of 16
The love for A2's is almost overwhelming, but I didn't like mine. I'm mainly a jazz/vocals listener and couldn't really abide the A2's without pretty extreme equalization. Playing with positioning and angle didn't help much. Even after EQ, they just seemed to be trying awfully hard to show off their bassiness. Eventually I replaced them with $60 Swans S3W's, which are much more to my personal taste even if they are pretty far from ultimate hi-fi.

If you can find a pair of the Swans M200 speakers, those are superb for jazz/blues. They occupy a lot of desk space, though.

Can't comment on the NuForce products.

Oct 16, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #10 of 16
I use the NuForce Icon with the A2. I enjoyed the A2 very much (still do), but after few months I was constantly thinking about new speakers. The A5 are considerably better - the sound coming out of these speaker playing MP3 file straight out of a cheap notebook was nothing short of amazing, too bad I didn't have the Icon then, I'm sure the A5 would have benefited greatly of it, alas I only audition the A5 for few days as they were a gift.

also the headphone amp of the Icon is pretty good - I don't have other amps to compare it to, but headphones sound much better then straight of a DAP.

I'm going to audition the new Paradigm Atom's speakers in a couple of weeks, which according to Stereophile's review on the Icon they match well together being non-efficient speakers. I hope I like them 'cause I really need new speakers.

btw what two Totem speakers you used to own? I've been lusting after a pair of Rainmaker's for sometime

Oct 17, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #11 of 16
I use to have floorstanders - first the sttafs and then the arros ...both were great but there was something more interesting about the speed and sound stage of the arros. Just a nice tight musical package if you do not need to fill a really large sound space or desire mega bass. I was thinking of getting dreamcatchers to try and recreate some of that magic but the totems really need proper placement/setup and probably are not the best option for near field at a computer desk (close to wall).

I am pretty close to just pulling the trigger on an A2 or A5 and keep it simple. I did read that the A2 may require some EQ to get it to sound to ones tastes. In general I just want something more fun on the musical side and less analytical like the reference monitors I have had.

...Like the Grado SR60 of Near Field speakers.

Oct 17, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #12 of 16
I should add - one thing about the A2 that seems more computer desk friendly (other than its size) is that it is front ported so it doesn't rely on any rear wall positioning for bass like the rear ported A5.

Lenni - since you have the icon have you looked at/considered the Audioengine P4? Its an unpowered option right between the A2 and A5 - seems like it would be a nice alternative to the A5 if you have an amp. It is also ported in the front like the A2.

Oct 17, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #13 of 16
I agree 100% about the Arros’ tight musical package – I auditioned them at a local dealer and the speed of these speakers is just addictive.
Wow I didn’t know about the Audioengine P4; that is interesting. The main reason I didn’t get the A5 myself is because these speakers seem to perform bad at low volume levels (the A2 more so then the A5, but still is the case) – details, bass, etc., is lost. At moderate/higher volume levels they perform best in my experience. If you listen to music at low volume levels they maybe not your best choice. If you’re still decided on the Audioengine and budget is not an issue the A5 are a definite worthy upgrade to the A2 regardless of rear port.
I’m gonna hold on until I hear the Atoms, if I’m not impressed the P4 seem an interesting choice. Thanks for that

Oct 28, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by shawntp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should add - one thing about the A2 that seems more computer desk friendly (other than its size) is that it is front ported so it doesn't rely on any rear wall positioning for bass like the rear ported A5.

Lenni - since you have the icon have you looked at/considered the Audioengine P4? Its an unpowered option right between the A2 and A5 - seems like it would be a nice alternative to the A5 if you have an amp. It is also ported in the front like the A2.

what do you mean by front port versus rear port?

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #15 of 16
Where the air/sound escapes the cabinet enclosure bass reflex. If the ports/vents are in the front you can place the speakers right up close to a wall. If the ports/vents are in the read you usually need to pull the speakers away from the wall 6" or so depending on the design so the air can escape and bounce off the wall.

Speakers like the Totems are rear ported and need to be 6" plus off the wall. I bought the AudioEngine A2's and they are great computer/office speakers. Not to the magical musical level and stage of Totems but about as fun and great sounding as anyone could hope to achieve in a smaller desktop rig.

Front Ported (slit at bottom):
AP4W%20Front.jpg

Rear Ported (opening on back):
A5NBack2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back