Nuforce NE-7M? Is there a bettter option?
Jun 19, 2009 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Tsujigiri

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking for some IEM's at about $50. I am currently using Creative EP-630's, so I thought that the Nuforce would be a good option since people say that it has a bass boost. However, I'm using a Creative Zen Micro, which it seems is not compatable with the NE-7M. Also, I've heard that the NE-7M can be kind of fragile, and that sometimes one side of the headphones is louder than the other. Has anyone else experienced this? And would an adapter like this: Replug | SAVE YOUR JACK work to make the NE-7M play with a Creative? Or would the extra cost of an adapter make another headphone like the Shure E2c a better option?
Thank You.

Jun 19, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 9
The NE-7M are made for iPhones/Touch, so why get phones that have those controls, which can break (mine did), if you don't need them?

Right now, Amazon is selling the Altec-Lansing UHP336 (rebranded US Super.Fi 3) for $35, shipped CONUS. I had them in tonight, and not bad at all (I liked them better than the NE-7M). They are over the ear phones, and sound best to me with Sony hybrid tips. But they also are $129 MSRP phones, for a cut rate price.

Jun 20, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #3 of 9
which of the 2 stick out of the ear more? tia

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The NE-7M are made for iPhones/Touch, so why get phones that have those controls, which can break (mine did), if you don't need them?

Right now, Amazon is selling the Altec-Lansing UHP336 (rebranded US Super.Fi 3) for $35, shipped CONUS. I had them in tonight, and not bad at all (I liked them better than the NE-7M). They are over the ear phones, and sound best to me with Sony hybrid tips. But they also are $129 MSRP phones, for a cut rate price.

Jun 20, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #4 of 9
That is true; I have no use for the microphone and wish the headphones came without it. But it seems that a lot of people recommend the NE-7M based purely on the quality of the headphones. How does the Altec-Lansing compare to the NE-7M in terms of clarity, bass, and this mysterious "sound-stage" (which my EP-630's apparently don't have)? You mentioned that yours broke, was it just the microphone that was affected, or did it render the headphones unusable, too? My EP-630's have lasted 3 years now, so I'm hoping for something durable as well.

Jun 20, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #5 of 9
Can't talk about how the 336 sounds, but maybe you should get them and try them out since they are so cheap. If you don't like them, you can return them and then get the NE-7. Or the other way around as NuForce has a 30 day money back guarantee:
Quote:

USA Return Policy If you are not satisfied with your purchase, contact us within 30 days to discuss your problem and/or return the product to us for a full refund. (See Terms and Conditions of Sales)

The microphone is so small, it doesn't get in the way at all. I do use the NE-7 with my blackberry and people on the other side think the mic works excellent, better than speaker, my ADDIEM, or my bluetooth headset.

And I am sure you have read HeadphoneAddict's review of the NE-7, which is the reason I got mine! If not, a must read.

Jun 20, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwongrade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which of the 2 stick out of the ear more? tia

Different styles. I'd say the 336s stick out more. They are the classic UE in-ears, like the Super.Fi lineup.

Jun 20, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsujigiri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is true; I have no use for the microphone and wish the headphones came without it. But it seems that a lot of people recommend the NE-7M based purely on the quality of the headphones. How does the Altec-Lansing compare to the NE-7M in terms of clarity, bass, and this mysterious "sound-stage" (which my EP-630's apparently don't have)? You mentioned that yours broke, was it just the microphone that was affected, or did it render the headphones unusable, too? My EP-630's have lasted 3 years now, so I'm hoping for something durable as well.

The mic/control started acting flaky when I used it with my Touch, and they do work fine with non-phone or Touch DAPS.

I felt the NuForce phones were more U-shaped in that the highs and lows were emphasized, and I could not get a really comfy fit with them. I will admit I didn't keep them long, and once they broke, NuForce sent me a replacement pair which I sold new.

The AL 336s are a more balanced IEM, and while their cable is sort of too thick (but replaceable with the UE cable for $19), they are more neutral, with a much more mid-focused sound. Bass is tight, but not overpowering. I also find them very comfy once they are in using the Sony Hybrid tips. They come with OEM UE silicone tips (single and bi-flange) and a single pair of UE foamies, which I have not tried yet.

Again, they are $35, so $15 less than the NE-7M. If you get new tips, they are about equal in price.

Oh, about tips. I disliked the stock silicone tips that came with the NuForce phones as welll, and used Comply T400s, which is another added expense.

Sadly, and this is in general, most canal phones and IEMs don't come with great OEM tips in my view. So there is always experimenting for the best fit, which can ring up added costs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back