Nuforce Mobile Icon
Oct 11, 2009 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ptv999

New Head-Fier
What's a good earphone that can be driven by this amp? The source is iPod touch 64 GB. My budget is around 130 =P (kinda low I know). Amazon is having a large discount on a lot of headphones, although I don't know if they are good or not.

And how about the same thing for a Fiio E5? I was thinking of Klipsch S4.

Oct 12, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #2 of 12
No wonder your headphone/amp budget is so low. You got the most expensive iPod there is, LOL!

Seriously though, the Nuforce or Fiio will both improve the sound of most portable earphones/iems. The nuforce is more expensive, but should be better, IMO. As far as performance with Full-size cans are concerned, I can't really comment, but I imagine that they would help some, with at least a boost in volume. If your getting earphones, go with the Fiio, because it's cheaper and appropriate. If your getting higher impedance full size phones, go with the Nuforce, it should drive them better.

Oct 13, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #3 of 12
So for the tenth time in a week:

RE0 + Icon mobile = good sort of budget combination.

I think the Icon Mobile adds the power for the bass, but not to make it warm, just to make it present and assertive, while still maintaining detail (and it adds a slight brightness that I personally like). I have tried the RE0 with the e5, and the detail was lost (not as good as T4, but I have not heard that combination).

-Nkk

EDIT: If you can afford the Nuforce, do not waste time or money on the Fiio. It is just not up to par (great for the price, but not if you can afford better).

Oct 14, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #4 of 12
Speaking from personal experience, I tried the Nuforce Icon Mobile out for 3 months, then sold it...decided to go with the iBasso D10 (although the D10 is NOT a budget amp). My headphone inventory is the SE530 (IEM) and the Denon AH-D2000.

The DAC on the Nuforce was great, and was able to drive the Denon's no problem (SQ was great). No real difference in SQ using the DAC and SE530 combo. The amp section was lacking on both phones. Didn't notice any real increase in SQ using the amp section with my SE530s or D2000s.

Oct 14, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #5 of 12
I have a noob question about the Nuforce Icon Mobile: I want an amp that will plug into my computer via USB, and act as a DAC / AMP combo to run FLACs through my AD900s. The impression I got from the website is that when plugged into a computer via USB you only get to use the DAC component. Is this correct?
Also, is it adjustable, so that you can switch between DAC, DAC / AMP , AMP only?
Cheers.
Oh, bonus question: anyone paired these with the AD900s?

Oct 14, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by robjrock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a noob question about the Nuforce Icon Mobile: I want an amp that will plug into my computer via USB, and act as a DAC / AMP combo to run FLACs through my AD900s. The impression I got from the website is that when plugged into a computer via USB you only get to use the DAC component. Is this correct?
Also, is it adjustable, so that you can switch between DAC, DAC / AMP , AMP only?
Cheers.
Oh, bonus question: anyone paired these with the AD900s?

I am not sure if i understand your question. But you can plug the icon into the computer and listen to music directly from it. So think the answer is yes you can use it as a dac and amp at the same time.

Oct 14, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #7 of 12
To hear sound, you need an amp, meaning if the Icon was a DAC only when it is in USB mode, you would not hear sound. This is clearly not the case, so it acts as both an amp and a DAC when in usb mode.

Oct 14, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #8 of 12
Ok cool. The website kinda made it sound like the USB function was DAC only, as in you'd use it as a DAC into a separate amplifier. Understand now thats not the case. Thanks guys.

Oct 14, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Ok cool. The website kinda made it sound like the USB function was DAC only, as in you'd use it as a DAC into a separate amplifier. Understand now thats not the case. Thanks guys.

Actually, there is no way to do DAC only on the Icon Mobile. The DAC and headphone amp are together as one unit with no line output in between. You can reamp the headphone output, but I've had mixed results doing that.

Oct 14, 2009 at 9:27 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, there is no way to do DAC only on the Icon Mobile. The DAC and headphone amp are together as one unit with no line output in between. You can reamp the headphone output, but I've had mixed results doing that.

yeah shame it can't be used as DAC only, I wouldn't mind pairing it up with my cmoy. oh well. lack of an off on button is a bit of a turn off too. I read one review that said these work better with higher impedance headphones... any thoughts?

Oct 14, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

yeah shame it can't be used as DAC only, I wouldn't mind pairing it up with my cmoy. oh well. lack of an off on button is a bit of a turn off too. I read one review that said these work better with higher impedance headphones... any thoughts?

The most important factor with high impedence headphones is voltage. (In this case, high impedence would be defined as 250 ohms or up.) The Icon Mobile is only 3.7V, whereas the CMoy is 9 Volts. So based on that factor alone the CMoy should be better for high impedence phones. (A circuit can get around the input voltage limitation by doing voltage doubling, but AFAIK no portables do that.)

The SR71A and Pico are the best portables that I know of for high impedence, because they are 18V, and also because they sound really good. They are both in the $400 range though.

For desktop use, I'm pretty partial to tube amps for high impedence headphones. Tubes provide linear voltage gain, so they will in most cases drive high impedence headphones better than any opamp based design.

Aug 14, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #12 of 12
Hey all. I Am currently in the market for my first set of audiophile phones and after a gratuitous amount of research i have narrowed it down to a choice between the beyer dynamic 880 pro's and the AKG K702's and either an ibasso dac/amp combo or a nuforce mobile. My driver is primarily an ipod touch and i listen to mainly rock /hip hop / jazz / metal / classical. I would be eternaly grateful if someone could lend some information or opinion on what i should pull the trigger on? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back