nuforce icon hdp
Jul 8, 2010 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

pete~

Head-Fier
I only recently bought this product but i have not received a good service from Nuforce. They are not replying to my emails and I have lost patience.

I just want to find out if the hiss I get is normal? They claim that only those with sensitive hearing will hear it but actually its clearly audible, anybody would be able to hear it. I have tried 2 headphones (cheap ones to try) and the RCA output. Same hiss each time. Its not very loud but it is noticeable and would not be acceptable for a hi end hifi product.

The other issues Ive had with this DAC are that there is a volume imbalance which is made worse by the fact that i can only use a small range.

And when connecting USB and optical at the same time, i get various digital noises coming through. Even USB alone causes some digital noises which can be heard whne you go close up to the speaker.

Can someone help me with these issues?

Jul 8, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #2 of 9
According to what I read on the HDP thread, hiss is often heard when high sensitivity headphones are used. The amp in HDP is supposedly designed for power hungry full size headphones.

Jul 8, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #5 of 9
Maybe your unit is defective? I hear no hiss on my Westone 2 IEM which are my most sensitive earphones at the moment. There is only a channel imbalance before 9 o'clock with my HDP standing upright, this is normal. I hear no noises through my speakers with optical input from my Zune and USB connected to my computer. Did you try using another computer or different usb cable? If so , try to send a ticket at the help desk.

http://nuforce.biz/cgi-bin/icondesk/pdesk.cgi?do=login

They have responded the next day each time I inquired about the status of RMA. I'm not sure why they are ignoring you, maybe send Jason a pm; he is helpful.

http://www.head-fi.org/user/jasonl

Sep 19, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #6 of 9
This issue is probably resolved by now from our support if the we have been contacted.
There could be a number reasons:
1) User sent to the wrong email since we have several sales and support contacts. Normally it will be forwarded to the right person after some delay.
2) The support person wasn't sure how to handle it.  This has been corrected. We now have a policy that all inquiring support email must be responded within 24 hours.

Jason

Oct 10, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #8 of 9
Well, since you say you can use the volume only a small range, that means you have sensitive headphones and/or sensitive hearing.  I hear a hiss from the HDP with sensitive headphones, which many say they can't hear.  And it's not just a slight hiss, it's pretty loud and obvious.  It's unlikely yours or mine is defective, this is just the way this thing is being tuned for power.  I've heard more than one unit and the hiss is the same.

Use less sensitive headphones, use an impedance adapter, use a separate amp and use the HDP just as a DAC.  Those are possible solutions.

tnpsegim, don't worry too much.  It seems the majority of people can't hear the hiss, and unless you generally have problems with hearing hiss out of most audio equipment, it probably won't be a problem for you.

Oct 28, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #9 of 9
I can't hear any hiss out of mine using the HDP as a USB DAC and headphone amp with SE530's.  Sounds great to me very soft and very loud.  But this is my first external DAC and headphone amp so I have nothing to compare it to.  But I'm highly impressed with the improvement I'm hearing.  My ES530's never sounded so good.

I would think any low volume channel imbalance (very little, if any on my unit) can be dealt with by lowering the volume on the source and raising the volume a bit on the HDP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back