Nuforce HA-200: High performance, Single Ended, Class-A Headphone Amplifier
Mar 16, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #227 of 295
All has been shipped, I will have all the new gear by the 24rth. I am excited ! Never listened to such an expensive head fi before ! Having kind of high expectations from HD800s regarding the soundstage (never experienced an open back headphones either) 

I took this further step to buy the above gear  because last month i was already impressed with my previous step when  I bought the Cayin C5 + JVC SZ2000 gear :)

But you are right, i am am impatient :)

Mar 19, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #229 of 295

I ve just got the desktop Lehmann Audio Linear Head Amp(selling at $1000) and compared it today with the portable Cayin C5 ( selling at $200). I used various sources from CDs to Spotify and my JVS SZ2000 cans.

I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED ! THE CAYIN C5 IS SUPERIOR .Bass is better , clarity , definition ... everything is better. Only the Build quality is better for the  Lehmann Head Amp. I VE JUST WASTED $500 (i got it second hand - x demo)

My aim was to use it with the HD800 and Tidal and DACs.  Now , i cannot imagine how more inferior the Lehmann would sound if i used better sources and better cans !

Mar 20, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #230 of 295

I'll look into that.  I could Blu-tack them to keep them from rattling around inside the case.  :)

By the way, I have a pair of JRC Muses 02 (purchased from Mouser.com for $150.00 plus shipping - to minimize the chance of getting couterfeits), but I really don't like them.  They are among the worst audio purchases I've ever made in terms of very little bang for the buck.  And I can't even find a buyer at $75 for the pair.  I gave up and closed my classified.  I'd rather just give them to worthy friend than take less than 50% for them. 

It's ridiculous how much they cost when you consider that the discrete Burson V5 Duals sell for less than the Muses 02 - at $130/pair plus shipping.

The fanciest I've gone with opamps are the AD8620. I have some OPA637's, but I've never had a device with enough gain (needs at least 5x) that I could swap them into.

Somewhere I think I've got a pair of AD797 mounted on a dual browndog adapter.

In my limited experience, I feel the LM4562 is sort of the new "gold standard" for opamps in terms of price to performance.

Mar 21, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #231 of 295
So ... I'm well on my way to joining the HA-200 club.  Here's how it went down ...

For the last year or so I've been quite pleased listening to a pair of Beyer DT880's powered by a Schiit Vali.  I like the smooth tube hybrid sound and this was working for me. But over time, I started to pine for a different headphone experience, so I purchased the K7XX Red's from Massdrop to try out the AKG sound.

Well, I generally like the sound of the new cans, but the Vali is just not doing it for the AKG''s.  I suspect they are just too current-hungry.  Tried them out with a solid state amp (a modest DTA-100a) and that would seem to confirm my suspicion -- the AKG's need something that the Vali just can't give.

Now I was in the market for a Class A headphone amp, and I -- almost accidentally -- ran into the excellent deal that Massdrop was running on the HA-200.  I impulsively signed up.  Now, pretty excited that I have a (single) HA-200 on its way in the next couple weeks! 

Mar 22, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #232 of 295
  I ve just got the desktop Lehmann Audio Linear Head Amp(selling at $1000) and compared it today with the portable Cayin C5 ( selling at $200). I used various sources from CDs to Spotify and my JVS SZ2000 cans.

I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED ! THE CAYIN C5 IS SUPERIOR .Bass is better , clarity , definition ... everything is better. Only the Build quality is better for the  Lehmann Head Amp. I VE JUST WASTED $500 (i got it second hand - x demo)

My aim was to use it with the HD800 and Tidal and DACs.  Now , i cannot imagine how more inferior the Lehmann would sound if i used better sources and better cans !

Bummer.  Some HD800 owners actually like "soft" amps - they can't stand the brittle treble they hear with highly resolving amps that sound harsh with the HD800, but OK with other headphones, so they intentionally smear the details with a soft amp and conclude that they have fixed a problem with the HD800.

I think you've already concluded that you (like me) prefer DACs and amps that allow the HD800 to be itself.  Again, I recommend you go with a low-feedback (or, better still, a zero-feedback) amp and a highly resolving, transparent and uncolored DAC.

The Lehmann has multiple gain stages and thus, probably uses a lot of negative feedback to deal with the distortion created in high energy areas of the signal, but the feedback itself creates low-energy, complex distortion artifacts down near the noise floor that destroy the micro details the HD800 could have easily resolved - reducing soundstage and imaging.and the sense of air.
redface.gif

See the writings of Nelson Pass, Dan Cheever, Robert Harley and Cees Ruijtenberg on the benefits of low- or zero-feedback amps.

https://passlabs.com/articles/audio-distortion-and-feedback

http://dancheever.com/main/cheever_thesis_final.pdf

Try a low-feedback, true single-ended amp (HA-200) or a zero-feedback amp (Audio-GD C2 - $480 + shipping, new).

But don't sell the Lehmann until you've had a chance to compare it to the next candidate, at least.  

Soon, you will have your very own Head-Fi museum!

Mike

Mar 22, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #233 of 295

Today i received the HD800 and i tested them with the Lehman Linear Head Amp and compared them to the Cayin C5 portable Head Amp and the Cambridge Audio 540R V2 AV Amp.

AMAZING ! The results are quite different !  I AM FULLY SATISFIED WITH THE PAIRING OF  Lehmann + HD800 !

I guess, it has to do with the different impedance that those headphones have (JVC SZ2000 = 16 Ohms and HD800 =300 Ohms)

Lehman is good today. Soft , warm and detailed ... just how i liked it ! Cayin C5 has identical performance to Lehmann up to high volumes ,  but Lehman can go to even higher volumes while Cayin cannot !
Lehmann can achieve its high performance only when fed from RCA ( i.e.CD player) 
Cayin can achieve its high performance only when fed from the headphone jack of the cellphone or Laptop.
If both Amps are connected differently they suck !
So here, the input impedance of each amp is also crucial.

Suprisingly enough, even the Cambridge Audio AV is very very close to the Lehmann performance when used with  the HD800 but not when used with the JVC SZ2000

So, JVC SZ2000 + Cayin C5 
and Lehmann Linear + Sennheiser HD800

So, guessing that Nuforce HA-200 class A (like Lehmann) would be also really match to HD800. I could have gone that route which would have been more economical but never mind :)

My wife also listened to the above set ups and she agreed with my conclusions . So, four ears to be the evidence :)

Overall, I liked the HD800 (selling for $1200) a lot,  but coming from the JVC SZ2000 (selling for $500 in UK or $200 in US) , I wouldnt even say that the Sennheisers are overall better than the JVCs, The Sennheisers offer detail and soundstage but the JVCs offer an orgasmic- deep- detailed- Bass. Who is to say that the Bass is not worth $1200 ? For me it is. And even if prices were vice versa, i would still have bought the JVCs for $1200 for such a Bassy experience. To me both headphones are completely different,  like blondes to brunettes, but you can not claim that one is better than the other,
In my case, the detail and soundstage experience cost me $1400 (HD800 + Lehmann) and the Bassy experience cost me only $400 !

Now, i would need a DAC with an RCA output to see if i can push both cans to higher levels of performance. I am thinking of ifi nano iDSD... this way i will be able play also files to feed the lehmann , not only CDs. 

Mar 23, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #235 of 295
Hey, you're welcome ngkou.  I had thought your initial impressions of the Lehmann were made with the HD800.  I'm now glad to hear you are among those who like the Lehmann with the HD800.  

Regarding your love of bass, it's absolutely your choice - your taste - that matters.  There is no right or wrong, here. I started out loving that same sound you crave, with my Audeze LCD-2 delivering it very nicely.  I still enjoy that coloration (it's neither accurate nor neutral), using my LCD-2 for watching TV after hours (driven by the Oppo HA-1 (as I've mentioned, previously).

But I've since weaned myself from what I objectively believe is inaccurate bass, to the point that I now prefer the HD800's perfectly neutral frequency response. Again, I'm neither right nor wrong in having this preference.  Go for whatever puts a smile on your face!

I really like your strategy of getting the job done for as little money as possible.  My profile is a boneyard that reveals my having been on that same quest for quite a while.

beerchug.gif

Mike

Mar 23, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #236 of 295
Yes, being disappointed initially with the SZ2000, i was surprised to see such a performance with the HD800 !
Looking for DACs now... i think i should go for a stand alone unit with RCA out.... but i have no clue as to how much i should spend to get a 80-90% of the performance. Should i bother with DSDs or just a quality DAC?  Is there a significant difference in sound quality buying a DAC from $200 to $800 ?
Musical Fidelity V90 ($200) ? Audiolab M-DAC ($800) ? Audiolab Q-DAC ($400) ? iFi nano iDSD ($250) ? oppo HA-2 does not have an RCA out,and i am afraid that the Lehmann will not like that :frowning2:

very confused ...

Mar 23, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #237 of 295
one more thing, The HA-200 officially has a 3.2 x gain but some reviewers said in practice is more like 2 x  which in fact is 6dB. But  even if we say that 10dB is the correct gain for the HA-200.is still much less than the Lehmann which goes up to 20 dB.

Mar 25, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #238 of 295
  Yes, being disappointed initially with the SZ2000, i was surprised to see such a performance with the HD800 !
Looking for DACs now... i think i should go for a stand alone unit with RCA out.... but i have no clue as to how much i should spend to get a 80-90% of the performance. Should i bother with DSDs or just a quality DAC?  Is there a significant difference in sound quality buying a DAC from $200 to $800 ?
Musical Fidelity V90 ($200) ? Audiolab M-DAC ($800) ? Audiolab Q-DAC ($400) ? iFi nano iDSD ($250) ? oppo HA-2 does not have an RCA out,and i am afraid that the Lehmann will not like that :frowning2:

very confused ...

one more thing, The HA-200 officially has a 3.2 x gain but some reviewers said in practice is more like 2 x  which in fact is 6dB. But  even if we say that 10dB is the correct gain for the HA-200.is still much less than the Lehmann which goes up to 20 dB.

This is a low-traffic thread, so we'll see how long we can get away with this off-topic dialog...

Again, I'm just one guy (with one opinion) and I've tried to qualify my tastes, learning that yours are a bit different - which is perfectly valid. We've learned that you prefer more bass energy than the HD800 delivers, so I feel as if I have to answer your questions for both the HD800 and all the headphones that aren't as revealing and intolerant as the HD800, including your bass-heavier JVCs. 

If you're still interested in the HD800, I can say that I've only experienced two DACs that are worthy:  The $1200 Metrum Acoustics Octave MkII (NOS DAC) and the $299 Oppo HA-2 (DAC amp).  Every other DAC in my profile, currently owned and previously owned, is flat out incompatible with the HD800, in my opinion, unless your one of those HD800 owners who smears the typically brittle treble that comes from oversampling DACS (non-NOS DACs) with a cheap tube amp or a really soft solid state amp - a strategy (OK, let's call it a taste) which makes no sense to me, as you could accomplish the same thing with an HD600.  

And get this - for the HD800, my favorite DAC is the ES9018K2M in the $299 Oppo HA-2, not the Metrum Acoutsics Octave MkII. In fact, I'm using the portable HA-2's DAC with every amp and every headphone that I regularly use, whether desktop or portable.  In my opinion, if you're looking for value in a DAC, then get the Oppo HA-2!  It's USB receiver is far superior to the USB input of the Oppo HA-1, which is a little bit grainy, as heard with the HD800, even though it's fine with every other (less resolving) headphone.  You can use the HA-2's DAC with a Windows or Mac machine or with an iDevice or Android as inputs - and the iDevices do not require a CCK - the HA-2 accepts direct input from iDevices.  I also use it to pull FLAC files from a Sony NWZ-A17 DAP, bypassing the Sony's proprietary DAC and extremely weak amp.  

iPod Touch 6 for streaming Tidal HiFi 44.1/16 FLACs to the Oppo HA-2's DAC (for both portable and desktop use with either the internal amp or an external amp).

Sony NWZ-A17 DAP, used strictly as a card reader with a terrific, bug-free UI, for playing 44.1/16 and 96/24 FLACs from 128GB microSD cards - with USB emulation digital output to the Oppo HA-2's DAC (for both portable and desktop use with either the internal amp or an external amp).

Regarding DSD, I can't hear the difference between any of the (very expensive and space-consuming) DSD files I've downloaded and 96/24 PCM files.  And I also cannot hear any improvements in going to higher sampling rates than 96 kHz.  For the record, 44.1/16 is much more difficult to convert to analog than higher sampling rates, with DSD being the easiest.  So, there are a lot of cheap DSD-capable DACs out there that sound just as good with (expensive, space-consuming) DSD files as much more costly DSD-capable DACs that can do circles around the cheap DACs when converting (affordable, space-thrifty) 44.1/16 files.

Even the Metrum Acoutsics Octave MkII struggles with 44.1/16 files compared to 88/24 and 96/24 files - due to its NOS design. There are a lot of NOS DAC enthusiasts who make life easier for their DACs by up-sampling their 44.1/16 files to 88/24 (on the storage media) before playing them in their NOS DACs.  In my opinion, a lot of really cheap sigma-delta DACs (like the ESS9023-based Stoner Acoustics UD100, the JDS Labs Objective DAC or Audioquest Dragonfly) also sound better when you "enable" them by up-sampling to 88/24 in advance.  Again, 44.1/16 is that hard to do well.  Of course, none of this may be detectable if you're using a soft amp or headphone that is not as resolving as the HD800.

So do you want to spend your money on hi-res files that consume a lot of storage  -or-  on a DAC that can do just as well with 44.1/16 files as it does with 96/24?  I'll assume you'd prefer the latter, and then we enter into the question of how much bang for the buck you're seeking.   My advice, if you're trying to satisfy the HD800, is to just get the Oppo HA-2 (and also enjoy it in many ways beyond what a dedicated desktop DAC can do.)  

Regarding the HA-2's lack of RCA analog output:  My Metrum Aurix (amp) has RCA inputs and I routinely drive it with the Oppo HA-2's 3.5mm Line Out jack (switch setting "C" in the photo, above):  

41TPPUCnreL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Audioquest-Golden-Gate-Mini-to-RCA-1-0m/dp/B005VQNEOM

If you're talking about meeting the requirements of a less-resolving headphone, then you could get away with trying lesser DACs.

Regarding the gain of the Lehmann vs. that of the HA-200, my HD800 sounds great with only 1V rms Line Out of the Oppo HA-2 and the Metrum Aurix set to either  10 dB or 0 dB gain.  I wouldn't be able to use the 0 dB gain setting of the Aurix with far less efficient planars, like the LCD-2 rev.1.  But for those, the more power you give them, the better they sound - which is why I use the Oppo HA-2's amp for that duty.

Buy it. Try it. Compare it. Keep it or sell it. Repeat, ad infinitum.  
tongue.gif

Mar 25, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #239 of 295
thanks Mike !!  
I remember you saying that you own both oppo ha-1 and ha-2  but you prefer using of the ha-2 as a dac. Both ha-1 and ha-2 use ESS 9018 which left me confused for some time, but you just clarified that it is its USB input that is superior to ha-1.

I ordered the ifi micro idsd . Coming in next week. As i said the lehman is as good as the Cayin C5 up to certain high volumes and i realized that i dont need more volume than that. In addition to that, Cayin is exceptional with my both cans. The lehman is only exceptional with the hd800. Lastly, i can manipulate the sound with Cayin, because i can use an EQ (android/cellphone or windows/laptop) from the sources connected to Cayin , but i cannot use an EQ from the CDplayer to lehman. The lehman is not portable either. So, what s the point having spent $500 if i dont get any extra improvement in sound quality. Thus. i decided to send the Lehman back to the same seller who will send me the ifi micro idsd. I tried one of the most expensive and compatible amplifiers for hd800 . What s the point to try more such as Nuforce HA-200 ? So, i am sticking with the portable ones, Now i am convinced that portable head amps can do the job.

If ifi micro  does not offer any improvement in sound quality  despite the dual Burr-Brown DAC etc. then i will sell it out and i will no longer search for anything else. However, if i get some improvement  then i may get itchy feet to try the oppo ha-2. :)

Mar 25, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #240 of 295
By the way, just to clarify that i am not only the basshead guy. I love both worlds. I will use only the HD800 to listen to every song that there is a human voice in it, because i am really impressed with its  natural/clear sound. And i will use only the JVCs to listen to all electronic/bass/etc tracks that human voice is absent. This s the deal i made with myself yesterday :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back