Now That The Hype Is Over
Apr 13, 2010 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

Bilavideo

Caution: Incomplete trades.
In one corner, wearing red trunks, is the PS-1000. In the other, sporting baby blues, is the HD800. I know we've been through this before but never this far into the fight. It's Round 10. The hypesters have gone to bed. It's that point when enough blows have been traded, enough hot sweat dripped onto the mat, enough hot lights and the stale air of the crowd. Somebody is going to hit the mat, but who?

Apr 13, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #4 of 49
It might be a little biased since it seems just about everybody has heard the hd800 but very few have heard the ps1000. There still seems to be very few ps1000 floating around.

Apr 13, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #5 of 49
This is only a fair fight if you let the PS1000 proponents pick the music. Give me a PS1000 and an HD800 for an extended test and I'll find you some music that is amazing on the PS1000 but somehow lacking on the HD800. [ps1000smile] (based on my personal preferences for what sounds amazing and what sounds lacking)

Apr 13, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #6 of 49
If someone would kindly loan me about $10k, I would gladly pit the PS1000, T1, K1000 and HD800 against each other. Of course I would need the proper associated and varied gear to test them all out on. And about 3 month's time. One month of which would be strictly for burn in. Of course. After the test I would happily sell all the gear and return the funding to the generous Head-Fi'er. I promise to be overly verbose in my comparisons to make it all the more interesting. I can't swear it will be the definitive word, only just my humble ramblings. I can promise I'll have fun listening though. Anyone?
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #9 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not too sure about that, but what I do know for a fact is that the K702 kicks the crap out of both of them.
k701smile.gif

Wow! I had a K701 for a time. I really liked it. Is the K702 basically the same thing in black or is there a sonic distinction I need to discover?

Apr 13, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #10 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not too sure about that, but what I do know for a fact is that the K702 kicks the crap out of both of them.
k701smile.gif

Agreed. The contest is actually with the spectators.

At some point the ref must stop a sympathetic spectator from breaking up the fight. Fight isnt the right word. Its more of a massacre.

Seriously, HD800>K701

In the contest between the HD800 & PS1000, I havnt heard the PS-1000 enough. If the PS1000 sounds like the RS1 its just a question of whether you prefer the grado or Senn house sounds. There should be room for both.

Apr 13, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #11 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If someone would kindly loan me about $10k, I would gladly pit the PS1000, T1, K1000 and HD800 against each other. Of course I would need the proper associated and varied gear to test them all out on. And about 3 month's time. One month of which would be strictly for burn in. Of course. After the test I would happily sell all the gear and return the funding to the generous Head-Fi'er. I promise to be overly verbose in my comparisons to make it all the more interesting. I can't swear it will be the definitive word, only just my humble ramblings. I can promise I'll have fun listening though. Anyone?
smily_headphones1.gif

This post mixes lame joke and vaguely hopeful in ways that make me extremely uncomfortable.

In any case, I'm sure the drivers of both headphones are perfect. The differences will come from the acoustics of the shape of the headphone and the shape of your head, which is frankly not worth worrying about. Honestly I don't know what you hope to come from this topic. I'm happy with headphones being basically equal, since it increases the diversity of the market and forces producers to be competitive (in price). I don't think anyone would be disappointed by either, or that anyone could definitively call either of them superior if they had a year to test them. Any faults in fidelity are going to be due to the fact that you're wearing headphones and are not at a live performance (which given the fact that you're listening to studio albums anyway, is moot).

Maybe what annoys me is how little effort was put into the OP :X

Apr 13, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #12 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I havnt heard the PS-1000 enough. If the PS1000 sounds like the RS1 its just a question of whether you prefer the grado or Senn house sounds. There should be room for both.

To my ears, the PS1000 sounded very similar to the GS1000, which was horrible sounding to me. Nuff said about the Grados.(bleh) The HD800 sounded waay better..all on the same system, a TTVJ 307A and some Luxman source.

Apr 13, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #13 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow! I had a K701 for a time. I really liked it. Is the K702 basically the same thing in black or is there a sonic distinction I need to discover?

Yeah it's the same.

Apr 13, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #14 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This post mixes lame joke and vaguely hopeful in ways that make me extremely uncomfortable.

Maybe what annoys me is how little effort was put into the OP :X

It must take some kinda precision to hit two nails on the head so squarely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back