Now That I have the Earphones, Which iPod-like player produces the best sound? Please Help...
Feb 19, 2010 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

FliGuyRyan

Head-Fier
Hi,

I just bought the Monster Turbine Pro Copper earphones - which are my first pair ever - and I was wanting a iPod-like device to give me great sound.

Here's where I'm at...

I currently rip my music using WMA lossless. I'm not opposed to going FLAC if someone will explain it and tell me where to get the software, etc... i.e. the process.

I want to know though, once I have the music files down pat, what player produces the best output sound? Is it a specific-generation iPod, Creative Zen, Microsoft Zune or what?

To clarify, I hear a fellow member say, "I liked my 5th Gen iPod over my 7th Gen as it produced better sound for my X earphones.

I'm not familiar with this. I've never had an iPod, but I would like one to compliment my new earphones.

Please help me decide... and I apologize, as I know this question is probably posted in one of a hundred ways and 100,000 times.

Thanks,
RC

Feb 19, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 41
Sony S639 or S739
But if price is not a problem, go with Sony X series.

Feb 20, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #3 of 41
Feb 20, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #5 of 41
personally i am not too concerned with the synergy between earphones and players. meaning if a player sounds better to me, it will sound better with any earphones. if you're looking for solely a player with no amp, there are a number of choices: Cowon D2, Sansa fuze or clip+, the new Hisoundaudio Studio or s:flo2. read about them more before deciding. if you foresee that you will be looking an amp in the future, you'll probably want to get a player with a line-out, that means an ipod or the s:flo2.

Feb 20, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #6 of 41
Isn't a headphone port a line-out? Does the Cowon D2 and Sansa fuse or clip+ not have them?

Also, I'm surprised to see no recommendations for Creative or Microsoft... is there a reason for this? I heard the new Zune was pretty good.

I have thought about buying a used iPod like 5th generation (like the one member said) off eBay. Would you buy a used, older player? iPods have to be pretty cheap off of eBay...

And I probably wouldn't buy an amp...

I just want good sound. I heard the Creative Zen - back in the day - had excellent output... but other than that, I haven't kept up with technology in that market. Give me some more solid recommendations (and thank you for the ones so far - is Sansa really that great of a player?).

-RC

Feb 20, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #7 of 41
A Sansa Fuze could have a custom lie-out dock,I've got one
smily_headphones1.gif
PM me for details.

price-performance ratio the fuze fairs really nice as it also has the micro sd slot, sound is way amazing then an ipod.

Feb 20, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #10 of 41
Alright... I'll put it this way, and I'm not trying to sound snobby. I am not rich, but I like very high-quality things when they're affordable. To have audiophile-level sound in the Monster Turbine Pro Copper for $249 was a no-brainer to me, even though they're my first pair. I research them HARD for a couple days (a weeks worth of research) and came to my conclusion after the warranty offer.

Anyways, I would like to make the same kind of buy on a player. I've never had a player before, and now that I need one, I want a good one. Good being, versatile, great sound and interface, not too gimicky, but fits the bill for music especially, and pictures if possible.

iPod classic, Zune HD, Sansa Fuze, etc... whatever it may be, I just need to know what I need to do to get my music files to the best format for the best player within reason.

I hope that's a little more for you guys to go on... I appreciate your help so far.

-RC

Feb 20, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #11 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by FliGuyRyan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I just bought the Monster Turbine Pro Copper earphones - which are my first pair ever - and I was wanting a iPod-like device to give me great sound.

Here's where I'm at...

I currently rip my music using WMA lossless. I'm not opposed to going FLAC if someone will explain it and tell me where to get the software, etc... i.e. the process.

I want to know though, once I have the music files down pat, what player produces the best output sound? Is it a specific-generation iPod, Creative Zen, Microsoft Zune or what?

To clarify, I hear a fellow member say, "I liked my 5th Gen iPod over my 7th Gen as it produced better sound for my X earphones.

I'm not familiar with this. I've never had an iPod, but I would like one to compliment my new earphones.

Please help me decide... and I apologize, as I know this question is probably posted in one of a hundred ways and 100,000 times.

Thanks,
RC

The itouch or the cowon S9 if you want a touch based player, or the fuze or clip if you like tactile controls. Then again, sony has some really great players as well(they don't support FLAC or WMA lossless however).

Also, it would better switching to FLAC. Better compression and a much better tagging system.

Feb 20, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #12 of 41
Do Apple products support FLAC and how do I convert my WMA lossless to FLAC, any good software?

Again, would any of you buy maybe a one generation (or current generation) player from eBay?

-RC

Feb 20, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #14 of 41
Ipod classic(5g,5.5g?, mine is 2005 model, 30gb)- good sound , nice clarity,somewhat harsh highs & big but unrefined/bloated bass. Not very detailed.

ipod touch- one of the most clear sounding daps, very nice highs & good weight to mids, big/vast/expanded sound. Stereo seperation is best among all i have heard. Butttt stony/lacklusture/thumpless bass , almost poor.

Sansa clip- cheap little player that justifies its price completely. good bass, ok mids , grainy treble, narrow soundstage, and very low pitch/ does not sound big as if the sound is constrained, good vertical expansion of soundstage, not at all forward sounding, left to right expansion of sound is very limited.But the music background is the blackest of all, no hiss at all. Dont pair with bright phones, can sound harsh at times.

Sony a829- quite big sound , grey music background/noisy background, nice treble sparkle but does not extend/detailed as good as touch , still precise.Mids are very nice & warm with lot of body . Bass is strongest of all as if all music is underlined by a bed of deep extended bass. But the same bass extension somewhat takes away the attack from mid bass in some tracks. soundstage expansion left to right is good but vertical expansion is almost non existent so it sounds very forward almost in front of you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back