Now i believe in foobar...
Sep 28, 2005 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Shosta

100+ Head-Fier
This morning i decided to install foobar in my computer at job.
Until now winamp played all my music there, but when i use the computer with heavy tasks running music start to fail.
In a normal session I have running Outlook, Rational Rose, Oracle Personal Edition, Apache and OC4J (and sometimes M$Office, jdeveloper, junit, xmlspy, etc, etc, etc)... you guess it, it's a developer machine.

I was surprised of how efficient is foobar, small footprint and no cuts, (today was a heavy day, with a lot of test batches in the DB).

In the end I told foobar to run all music files. And switch on the crossfeed plugin.
Never jumped or stopped the music. Fantastic!

Now, I believe.

BTW: Foobar it's ugly and i didn't have time to customize the windows. Tonight i'll try to learn something. I like elegant and simple interfaces (for example i use aquatint theme in firefox) so if you have suggestions I listen or read them.

Sep 28, 2005 at 10:50 PM Post #2 of 16
i didn't really get why anyone could bare using foobar until i saw the foobar customizatin thread on neowin about two months ago. i didn't have the time to learn how to customize by myself, but i asked necropimp here on head-fi for his foobar folder all zipped up and it work beautifully. i wish i knew how to change the colors a bit, and maybe even to add a lyrics panel, but overall i'm highly content.

make sure to use kernel streaming or asio, too
wink.gif
they own directsound by miles

Sep 28, 2005 at 10:57 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by binkgle
i didn't really get why anyone could bare using foobar until i saw the foobar customizatin thread on neowin about two months ago. i didn't have the time to learn how to customize by myself, but i asked necropimp here on head-fi for his foobar folder all zipped up and it work beautifully. i wish i knew how to change the colors a bit, and maybe even to add a lyrics panel, but overall i'm highly content.

make sure to use kernel streaming or asio, too
wink.gif
they own directsound by miles

I use default foobar UI, a few tabbed playlists, thats it.

I don't look at my media player, I listen to it.

Sep 29, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmo
I use default foobar UI, a few tabbed playlists, thats it.

I don't look at my media player, I listen to it.

Second that sentiment. I used to think itunes interface was nice and pretty, but now that I'm used to the bare Foobar UI, I much prefer the bare bones, no frills Foobar UI. I can read the whole line much faster in Foobar, fit more songs on one screen due to lack of lines/boxes, and now I can't stand looking across those boxes that separate everything.

Sep 29, 2005 at 12:53 AM Post #6 of 16
Thanks for the info.
I've been changing foobar a bit. But just enough to keep some info on screen and to convert to flac the new cds and proxy configuration for freedb.org access.

Most of the time will be like an icon and showing just the info of the song-album -artist when one starts.

For work i like the small footprint.

Sep 29, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #8 of 16
Sep 29, 2005 at 1:54 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp
i would like to inform you that in the past MANY years amazing developments have been made with image file compression

like PNG...
http://jim7.home.insightbb.com/foobar/foobar3.png

for example... your image
bmp 6.4MB
png 289KB

Serious, I have a 6Mb pipe and I stopped that one at about 20%.

Sep 29, 2005 at 5:51 PM Post #12 of 16
Oh, might as well toss mine in...

(click for larger)

Sep 29, 2005 at 6:21 PM Post #13 of 16
I am also happily using Necropimps layout (and really grateful he made it available). I've made minor cosmetics tweaks here and there, but I'll probably learn more about the syntax its scripting uses before I think of modifying the GUI.

Sep 29, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #14 of 16
me = huge fan of necropimp's layout. may change song selection color from orange to blue or something else, and my find a way to insert a lyrics panel (maybe have it as a fifth option where in the screen shot it has the four tabs like db and info. by the way, how would i do this, if anyone can tell me/if it's possible?).

Sep 30, 2005 at 12:13 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp
i would like to inform you that in the past MANY years amazing developments have been made with image file compression

like PNG...
http://jim7.home.insightbb.com/foobar/foobar3.png

for example... your image
bmp 6.4MB
png 289KB

we have a similar layout, nice! may i ask where/how to change the color of a selected song? i forgot,
rolleyes.gif

and just fyi, i started a foobar gallery so anybody who wants to show off their sweet setup or get some help on customizing foobar go there: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=139333

Cheers!
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back