Novice needs some help selecting quality portables for his daily life.
Sep 30, 2011 at 10:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Conspiracy

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi. I'm a junior in high school, been listening to music daily for most of my life, going back and forth from cheap headphone to cheap headphone. I've recently become very enamored with purchasing an exquisite set of headphones for my birthday. 

Unfortunately, the amount of choices is absolutely terrifying. I have no idea what to purchase, which cans will fit my needs the best. I was hoping I could get some assistance and recommendations for my needs.
A bit of background information:
  1. Will be using them almost every day, heavy usage, upwards of 6-7 hours a day. I also will be carrying them many places, so they need to be portable and durable.
  2. Will be in school, so obviously nothing gigantic.
  3. Will also be used for gaming - I have a nice gaming rig, with a 7.1 surround sound audio driver, so it would be nice to have headphones that can really get me immersed in the experience.
  4. My budget is anywhere up to 150-160$. 
  5. I listen to a lot of hip-hop, trip-hop, electronica, trance, dubstep, synthpop, experimental(more electronic focused, like Little Dragon,) and some jazz.

For reference, the cans I have been looking into are the AudioTechnica M50's and the Sony MDR-ZX700.

I appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks!

Conspiracy

Sep 30, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #2 of 20
Since you mention cans like the M50's, it seems you are open to a full-size can for on-the-go rather than restricting to an IEM (in-ear-monitor). 

The M50 is a great can, lots of bang for your buck, but I don't have a lot experience with it. Another to consider might be the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro. I little bit easier on the wallet, nice neutral sound, and durable. I have used those phones extensively for years - I love them - great value. A nice price for good sound. Works well with all genres, a great all-rounder. Our musical preferences are nearly identical. 

Sep 30, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #3 of 20
I suggest looking into some of the Ultrasone line (hfi 580's/DJ1), Phiaton MS400 (may be out of budget, perhaps used), Skullcandy Aviators.

For the genre's you listen to Ultrasones would sound the best but bulkiest thanks to their headband, Phaiton's are darker sounding but more sleek/portable, Aviaitors are middle of the pack for each, nothing great but good portability/sound.

Another fun, yet very affordable can is Panasonic RP-HTF600, Picked them up for my son (a few years younger than you) and they've held up well and are surprisingly good sounding, especially for their price (~$30)

Sep 30, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #4 of 20
I second the Ultrasone recommendation - fantastic stuff. Though I would say they aren't as much of an all-rounder can. But for the genres you list, they'll be best. 

Sep 30, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #5 of 20

Quote:
I second the Ultrasone recommendation - fantastic stuff. Though I would say they aren't as much of an all-rounder can. But for the genres you list, they'll be best. 

x3..

Sep 30, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #7 of 20
Good, for a closed can.  You're not going to be doing any FPS sound-whoring, but enjoyable for movies and games.  Unfortunately, you won't find anything with outstandign soundstage while being portable, in this price rage and offering sound isolation.  Pro 550's offer better soundstage but these cups are pretty huge for portable rigs.

Quote:
How is the soundstage? Is it good for gaming?

Oct 1, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #9 of 20
Consider the denon AH-D1100.

Comfortable, portable, no need for amp, great bass and soundstage.

Oct 1, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #11 of 20
If you shop around, you can find it for $150.

Oct 1, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #13 of 20
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-EF0060-Aurvana-Live-Headphones/dp/tech-data/B000ZJZ7OA/ref=de_a_smtd

The Creative Aurvana Live is selling for $90 on Amazon and said to be a Denon clone by some on head-fi.

I'd recommend reading some threads here for comparisons.

Oct 1, 2011 at 6:24 AM Post #14 of 20
If you are looking at the M50's then I would suggest you look into the Fischer Audio FA-011. IMHO, it kills the M50.

If you want a cheaper alternative, the Fischer Audio FA-004 is no slouch either.

An even cheaper and better option IMHO, is to get a Fostex T50RP and mod it in the Rastapants style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back