Notebook Computer Recommendation?
Sep 1, 2005 at 11:55 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Have you seen the review of the Sager NP-9880 on notebookforums.com?

Just look at the SAGER reviews and benchmarks section.

PC Torque is a few miles away from me...on my way there to say hello
smily_headphones1.gif

gs

Yep. Just called Luke earlier actually, and he was actually recommending the 4750 or the 75XX instead for my needs. Then I found the HP ZD8210... here.

And Sager's got a maxxed out AMD dual core out in October...hehehe...

AW is off my list now. The money I save I could probably go get a Vaja case or something.

Now it's down to HP, Acer, Fujitsu or Sager....

Sep 2, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #18 of 28
if u dont mind getting a xps2, chck out deals2buy.com, they have some wicked deals on dell stuff. tho since u are going to be doing content creation a full fledges p4 might do u better.

Sep 3, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #19 of 28
Oh, yeah, BTW, I'm checking out PC Torque's website and I need to bring up something. HP invented it and I see Sager offers it.

Lightscribe.

STAY AWAY!

Up to, and possibly over on complex graphics, 30 minute burn time on a label. Then you can only do it on Lightscribe media - which is more expensive - and...HP does not guarantee life of the scribed label. In 3 to 4 years, maybe even less (a lot less) it can fade out.

Just say "No"

---------------------------------------

Yesh, the Sagers get a bit pricey once you bump up a few extras, don't they? Hmmm...

Sep 3, 2005 at 2:58 AM Post #20 of 28
Yesterday I just bought a maxed out Dell XPS 2 for 2,000 with a %35 percent off coupon! For that price it became a no brainier compared almost any other companies offering. Here is the coupon page http://www.techbargains.com/dellcoupons.cfm and the coupon I used was CSFNLP484P73S6 and for $50 more off use this ZMLBMJ0SB4FTFM. My main specs of my new XPS are,

Intel® Pentium® M Processor 770 (2.13 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 2 Dimm
256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 6800 Ultra
100GB Hard Drive
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr Mail-In Service, and 1Yr Technical Support

Originally I looked at the Sager and Alienware, but they where not flat out better and worth the extra 1,000 if I were to configure them the same as to the dell. Also I already own an Alienware desktop so I wanted to try out a different company.

Sep 3, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake
Lightscribe.

STAY AWAY!

Up to, and possibly over on complex graphics, 30 minute burn time on a label. Then you can only do it on Lightscribe media - which is more expensive - and...HP does not guarantee life of the scribed label. In 3 to 4 years, maybe even less (a lot less) it can fade out.

Just say "No"

---------------------------------------

Yesh, the Sagers get a bit pricey once you bump up a few extras, don't they? Hmmm...

Cripes, thanks for the Lightscribe Warning! I was going to get that and actually make really cool labels for my project....meep!

I think the Sager 47XX with some upgrades is sitting at about $1670? Thing is, shipping kinda killer, another 120 usd...

How does AMD Athlon 64 compare with the P4HT? Warmth really doesn't bother me overly much...

Sep 3, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

why is shipping $120.00 ???
eek.gif

Should be around $40

show me your receipt (email - after removing vital personal info)

gs

North of the 49th parallel. I am a Canuck
580smile.gif

Sep 3, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by la_marquise
North of the 49th parallel. I am a Canuck
580smile.gif

Oh I thought ON = Oregon.

I can help you work something out with the shipping.

Suggestion:

* Have it shipped to a friend in USA who is NOT in Texas (you will avoid sales taxes if he buys it from outside texas).

* Have him check it out for you and ensure 100% functionality. Sh!t happens and you dont want to be playing the shipping game from Canada. Do it once and do it right. Most problems will crop up within the first 50 hours of usage.

* if you can purchase the overseas shipping coverage - get it! Better safe than sorry.

* Have your friend send it to you by EMS or something cheaper. $120.00 is a LOT for shipping a laptop.

If I wasnt moving to North Carolina - I would have gone in and checked it out for you when it came to the PCT depot
frown.gif

gs

Sep 3, 2005 at 7:51 PM Post #25 of 28
I'd think it's obvious... Michael's Computers
very_evil_smiley.gif

Note to those who are taking this seriously, read this done by Tom's Hardware. Quite the sham.

1. Promise the impossible.
2. Take in money.
3. ???
4. PROFIT!

Some of them are just classic, too. 17,000+ 3D Marks? Or how about .19 (yes, as in 19 hundreths) decibels?

The other claim that has me wondering is his allegation that he provides computers for the U.S. Navy. Blatantly lying about private companies is one thing, but the government probably wouldn't be too happy to know their name is benig used to market a non-existant product...

Sep 4, 2005 at 6:22 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Oh I thought ON = Oregon.

I can help you work something out with the shipping.

Suggestion:

* Have it shipped to a friend in USA who is NOT in Texas (you will avoid sales taxes if he buys it from outside texas).

* Have him check it out for you and ensure 100% functionality. Sh!t happens and you dont want to be playing the shipping game from Canada. Do it once and do it right. Most problems will crop up within the first 50 hours of usage.

* if you can purchase the overseas shipping coverage - get it! Better safe than sorry.

* Have your friend send it to you by EMS or something cheaper. $120.00 is a LOT for shipping a laptop.

If I wasnt moving to North Carolina - I would have gone in and checked it out for you when it came to the PCT depot
frown.gif

gs

Thanks GS! Is there a sales tax for sales to California as well? Most of my friends are down there...or I could open a PO Box in Niagara Falls NY?

Sep 4, 2005 at 6:42 PM Post #27 of 28
I dont think they will ship to a PO box. California will have sales tax because Sager is based there I think...dont remember. Why dont you ask Luke or post on notebookforums asking about this? From my memory (years old by now) CA did have sales tax.

gs

Quote:

Originally Posted by la_marquise
Thanks GS! Is there a sales tax for sales to California as well? Most of my friends are down there...or I could open a PO Box in Niagara Falls NY?

Sep 4, 2005 at 7:05 PM Post #28 of 28
The Dell Inspiron 9300 would be a good choice as well for siginficantly less money than the XPS 2. If you use Dell's coupons (there are some out all the time pretty much), Dell is easily the best deal around. They've also seemed to get their act together in the last couple years and they are really producing great computers now. I used to have a Dell Inspiron from 5 years ago and it was really cheap feeling and had all sorts of problems, but my 9300 is a really solid machine. Go to www.notebookforums.com for everything you ever wanted to know about notebooks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back