not sure I've made the right decision
Mar 1, 2010 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Lenni

Headphoneus Supremus
The dealer called today confirming the speakers have arrived, so this is my last day with the Paradigm Studio 60. I’ve had them for about a month, and really starting to like them, a lot. Initially I found them a bit overwhelming, and kinda boomy. Something to do with it were possibly the amp being new and the position of the speakers, ‘cause I don’t find them neither overwhelming nor boomy anymore (ok maybe a little boomy).

this may sounds daft, but until today I didn’t know what these speakers were really capable of. I usually listen at low/moderate volume level - that’s how I like it (or so I thought) - that’s how I’m used to (until today). It’s really strange that it didn’t occur to me to test the speakers at higher volume. There’s an explanation to it though: a) I live in an apartment and don’t fancy the possibility of the police knocking at my door; b) I’ve been listening to crappy/mediocre speakers for years that are impossible to listen to for more than few minutes at higher volume before getting fed up with it, that I got used to listening at low/moderate volume.

So I got to test how they’d fared at higher volume; to hear their big bass that I am most likely gonna miss in the new speakers. For some reason M. Jackson’s Thriller popped in my head. O.M.G. what a revelation, wow, just wow! The more I turned the volume up the better the sound. It’s kinda difficult to explain unless you hear it – low/moderate volume the sound is good; higher volume the sound SHINES! I can’t think of a better term to describe it. The more I turned the volume the more the instruments SHINED! Then I tried AC/DC’s For Those About To Rock (We Salute You). freaking amazing! The volume knob goes from 7 o’clock (min) to 5 o’clock (max), I couldn’t bring myself to go past 1 o’clock – it was crazy loud, but in a good way. I loved every seconds of it. I don’t think I ever experienced anything like it. It was beautiful, seriously. It would be nice to have a dedicate room to built a system around, but in a small apartment room they’re really wasted.
I hope I’ve made the right decision in exchanging them for the S1v6. I’m having second thoughts. I sure am gonna miss the bass, no doubt about it. We’ll see...

(pls excuse the poor grammar
redface.gif
)

Mar 3, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 10
Whats a S1v6 first off.

In your situation, maybe id go Magnepans, so you still have a full soundstage even though you cant crank it. If you cant make it loud for fun, then enjoy other things about sound like soundstage and details.

I dont know why youre getting rid of the 60s. What were you looking for it to do different? The story is incomplete really.

Another option for an apartment would be a sub/bookshelf system. Make sure the bookselves are on good sturdy stands that are acoustically separated from the floor if people live downstairs, and use the sub when they are out.

Another point for headphones!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 10
Do you mean the Paradigm Signature S1? They're not up to V6 on that yet, though. I just don't undertstand why you'd be chaniging speakers without some auditioning first. The S1's , if that's what you are referring to, are wonderful, do well at low volumes, and can be pretty exciting when paired with a good sub. The smoothness, soundstage, and air beat the Studio 60 handily.

Mar 3, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #4 of 10
][/url]

I was gonna continue with the story but I’m having trouble finding the time, and putting down all my thoughts & impressions into something that makes sense. I assumed that all Paradigm’s new line of speakers were v6 – they're not – the latest Signature line is v3. sorry for the confusion

Not only I’ve made the right decision, I think I’ve made the best possible decision as far as speakers’ choice, and money wise. The S1v3 are better than the Studio 60v5 in every way, hands down. more clear, more details, more balanced, faster, engaging, revealing, etc. the bass is not as big as the 60s for obvious reason, but it’s surprisingly full (no lack of it at all), better defined, tighter, cleaner… better.

So revealing I’m hearing things I’ve never heard before - not even with headphones! (I kid you not). Let me give you an example: on the record Come Fly With Me (Frank Sinatra - Nothing but the Best) at some point in the song I was hearing the sound of fingers snapping – I don’t have the video, but I’m assuming Sinatra’s snapping his fingers whilst singing (someone maybe can confirm this). Soundstage is amazing. All music instruments are so much more realistic, sometime I feel like is playing live in my room. Vocals are as clear as I ever heard. One word to describe the sound of these speakers is silky.

I really wished I had the time to write a more detailed, longer in dept description, and not short bits. I guess you’ll have to wait for Stereophile for a full review.
tongue_smile.gif

Dear fellow members, audio enthusiasts, music lovers, etc. stop wasting money, you must go audition these speakers.

See ya

[edit] - BTW these are the P-Be (Pure Beryllium)

Mar 4, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #5 of 10
Wow, looks nice. What do they cost? Im thinking of Paradigm Studio 20's with a DSP3200 sub. Ill be amping it with a Bryston amp.

Those are prolly double what im looking at.

Mar 4, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #6 of 10
The S1v3's are some of the best bookshelves I've heard under $2000. The Beryllium tweeter model that the OP has are $1499-1699 a pair depending on finish, the cheaper G-Pal tweeter model is $1200 a pair. I was getting interested in the small sealed Harbeths and Spendors until I heard these. They have got to be heard to be believed. They require decent power, and a sub for any bass much below the mid 50hz range, but other than that they are an absolute marvel, and on my short list for purchase.

Mar 4, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by islewind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The S1v3's are some of the best bookshelves I've heard under $2000. The Beryllium tweeter model that the OP has are $1499-1699 a pair depending on finish, the cheaper G-Pal tweeter model is $1200 a pair. I was getting interested in the small sealed Harbeths and Spendors until I heard these. They have got to be heard to be believed. They require decent power, and a sub for any bass much below the mid 50hz range, but other than that they are an absolute marvel, and on my short list for purchase.

How much different really is the $1200 model from the $1499-1699 model?
I guess theyre much better than the Studio20 im looking at for $1000 or so, and just a bit more money. Ill have to compare now. But if i get the better speakers, i may have to upgrade my sub too. The DSP3200 sounded fine with the Studio 20. I preferred it to subs that were way more expensive in the room. The others just didnt seem to blend. They sounded more powerful, but separated from the system to me, which could have been due to settings too, but really i want it to blend.

Mar 5, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #8 of 10
the price in the UK are more (as usual). the P-Be's are £1600 a pair in cherry, add £200 for the other finishes. the stands are £350 (ouch!) luckily I got a good deal for them, no way I was gonna pay that much on stands.

@Drag0n - I heard the Studio 10v5, not the 20s. I liked what I was hearing from the 10s, I end up walking out the store with their demo 60s not just for the bigger bass, but because the 60s did things a little better then the 10s, they're smoother sounding. I'd say performance wise they're both more or less at the same level. the 60s are fantastic speakers for bigger rooms, turn up the volume and OMG they will SHINE. in a small apartment they're totally wasted - it's just not fair on them (imo).

the S1v3 are different speakers, they're on another level (or two). the first time I saw them on Paradigm's website I instantly dismiss them - too small = no bass - wrong. I ain't gonna get a sub, don't need it, I find the bass enough as it is, for my taste. they do seem to require more power - I have to turn the knob up to get the same volume of the 60s. Quote:

What changes in the technology of the new Signature V.3 models? The biggest change involves development of a new “corrugated” woofer surround that allows V.3 bass and mid-bass drivers to produce an added 6dB of output. A Paradigm spokesman explained that, in the V.2 Signature models, the output of tweeter and midrange drivers had to be ‘throttled back” to accommodate output limitations of the V.2 bass drivers. With the new corrugated surrounds, however, bass driver output increases to more closely match the output capabilities of Paradigm’s Signature tweeter and midrange drivers—a change that is said to yield a much more dynamic and open sound.

you can see from the photos the ridges around the cone. more info

I don't like hype, I try to refrain from that, but these are the best speakers I heard in this price range. like islewind said they have got to be heard to be believed. they give me the goose bumps all over. I can play them in the middle of the night at low volume and enjoy everything. I feel lucky I found my kinda speakers in a relatively short time. I think these are nice speakers to build a system around.

I'm broke!
frown.gif

Mar 5, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #9 of 10
Seems nice. Ill have to check them out and hear what they sound like, and see if the option is better than buying the studio 20 for my budget.

Jan 28, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #10 of 10
QUOTE Dragon I like your first suggestion better, Magnepan's there is NOTHING better dollar for dollar than panels and the only panel better than Magnepan at reasonable price is Acoustat's, i'm not bias at all no just joking I AM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back