[Not-So-Poor Man Reviews] Final Audio Design's Lab I (1500 Dollar Legacy)
Nov 3, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #31 of 151
  Hey, who here uses the LAB1 on the go on the public commute? Just interested, don't really have the guts to bring these out myself. Also, as awesome as the LAB1 is from any source and especially the Calyx M, any impressions from anyone else with other sources/stacks? For a start, I really liked the LAB1 with the CLAS original + Kojo KM01, pretty amazing setup for vocals or anything laid back, but I think we could very much be scraping the surface of the LAB1's potential.

During review phase...I did take the Lab 1 out on public commute.  Isolation isn't very good, and unfortunately, much of the microdynamic detail gets lost.  Also, it leaves you terrified for the Lab 1's life for the most part.  

Nov 3, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #33 of 151
I do use LAB1 on the go. It isolates very well for me.

I don't use pelican cases for them, only a soft pouch from MUJI. I think it is enough.

I feel that most IEMs do not give me the best micro details during commute, so it does not really matter.

Nov 3, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #36 of 151
  All in the name of testing every possible condition (that doesn't break the earphone)!

Yep. All you need is careful hands, a secure fit, and a seat on the bus/subway.
wink.gif

Nov 3, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #39 of 151
  Unless the guy next to you is rocking out on skull candies and shaking his head back and forth... true story.

Not to mention the very real possibility of getting your cables snagged on someone's bag while exiting the train during rush hour, causing the cable to yank on my ears, true story too.

I'd imagine worse if you didn't go over the ear style.

Nov 3, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #41 of 151
  Not to mention the very real possibility of getting your cables snagged on someone's bag while exiting the train during rush hour, causing the cable to yank on my ears, true story too.

I'd imagine worse if you didn't go over the ear style.

Oh my...I can't help but say this happened to me too. Looks like I'm not the only one.

Nov 3, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #43 of 151
  This vs FI-BA-SS? I thought the LAB-1 was $2500.

The SS is comparatively brighter and leaner than the LAB I, which comes across as richer and fuller sounding. The SS is pretty aggressive/energetic in the treble vs. the more laid-back LAB, so for this reason, I feel it's a pretty temperamental phone. It'll shine with some recordings and come across as harsh on others. For this reason, the LAB comes across as a much better all arounder, since it's more forgiving. That's not to say that the LAB will gloss over anything, as you'll be cognizant of the fact that an unideal recording isn't the best. The LAB just won't call attention to that fact the way that the SS would; it's well mannered in its honesty. With that said, the SS is probably at my threshold in terms of brightness. I actually love it for the energy it brings to a recording as guitars sound nice and dirty, drums just sound fantastically snappy and dynamic, and strings just spring to life; it's the rare case where a more U shaped sig resonates with me. The elevated treble on the SS makes details a tad more intelligible, but upon close listening, I don't feel that the LAB loses much of anything against it in terms of resolution. To put into more nebulous yin/yang terms, the SS is the overly crisp digital to the LAB's analog. I love the hell out of both really for their keenly introspective qualities. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back