Not satisfied with Etymonic
May 30, 2017 at 11:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Funkyd04

New Head-Fier
I know i know, i didn't know what i was getting into even though i researched it. Call it a noob mistake. I've always been fascinated with musical clarity and detail so i figured these would be perfect for me. I've never really listened to a high-end system. Everything i've had the pleasure of listening to has really only been low tier, with a bose system in the new 2017 malibu being an absolute joy. I rented one of these on a trip and after jamming to the Mars Volta, i realized i can't go back to a regular system. In fact, the system ruined me on sound and i can't listen to anything else anymore with enjoyment. Moving forward with clarity and detail in mind, the reviews suggested the ETY ER4 pt's were the ones to get. Now don't get me wrong, i can definitely appreciate the detail on these but i've finally realized what it meant to have no soundstage. Its really hard to appreciate mastered music due to the flat frequencies. Every now and then certain details shine through that bring me a smile, but other than that my music has no life.

Can anyone recommend headphones (in ear or over ear) in the same price range that can provide a crazy awesome soundstage with similar levels of clarity and detail?? I don't mix music, i only listen to it, so i'm not sure if a monitor is right for me. I'm still all new to this!

My music tastes are varied.... I like rock, alternative, i also throw on some MIA or chillstep type music too. Also been really into synthwave recently which is more electronic.

May 30, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 15
If you are looking for a 'crazy awesome' soundstage in an over-ear, I would say look into an X2, an HD598/599, or maybe a K712 Pro (would need an amp). None of these will be lifeless. They are all a bit different (except the 598/599) but they are all good. Maybe read about them and see what you think. It is possible one could work for you.

May 30, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #3 of 15
For earphones two that I have that are under budget that I think are pretty good are the Echobox Finder X-1's and 1More Triple Drivers. The Quad Drivers are another option do own them but have heard them. The X-1's are fairly bright but I don't find them fatiguing but I don't listen at loud levels. The Triple Drivers are a bit smoother but don't have the punchy articulate bass of the X-1's the Quads are the same as the Triples to me but with more treble extension. All of them have good soundstage. None I find lifeless either. These are just my opinions so YMMV.

May 30, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 15
If you want that speaker sound to an IEM with great soundstage, you should get a hybrid dynamic and BA driver or a pure dynamic driver IEM.

May 31, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #6 of 15
The veterans, can you educate me on hybrid dynamic, BA, and pure dynamic? I'm honestly unfamilliar with what an IEM is 'supposed' to be.
A IEM can be either. Balanced armatures were first used in hearing aids because of their small size and low power requirements and their clarity so says the website I just read. Hybrids is just that using both dynamic and ba drivers. Pure dynamic is just that one dynamic driver for the most part I think I have seen some with more but for the most part one. Multiple drivers require a crossover just like multi driver speakers. The bass tends to be more impactful on a dynamic driver but pure ba's are not that bad at all. The ba's are really good at detail especially multi driver units . One of the best I've heard is the Empire Ears Zeus which has 14 ba's per side very expensive but also very good. Hope this helps.

May 31, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #7 of 15
IEms and headphones have no soundstage per se. expecting headphones to sound like speakers is bound to bring disappointment.
in my bag of tricks, I would suggest to start with something that has a good deal of low end frequencies(so not ety ^_^). it can often help provide at least some little feeling of being surrounded by the rumble that's too low a frequency to clearly locate in space.
maybe try a bunch of crossfeed apps/plug-ins to see if subjectively it comes closer to what you wish to experience. in my case I feel like it can help to break the feeling I get from most Etymotic IEMs that the instruments are all on 1 axis going through both ears. the problem being that crossfeed relies on variables that depend on the size of your head, so what works great for someone doesn't have to work at all for somebody else. plus it's a simplified answer to the problem of using headphones to listen to albums mastered for speakers. so how it works really depends on how much your brain likes being fooled.
and in a very vague and not at all consistent idea, open headphones may tend to feel "wider" than closed ones, themselves "wider" than most IEMs. see this as a potential tendency, not as a rule! the cues to feel like a sound comes form a specific position in space is in the sound you hear, not in the device making them.

and of course a signature along the line of what some call analytical, might sometimes take the fun out of the music. when each instrument is too clearly defined it can reach a point where we lose the subjective sense of unity in the song because the ear is compelled to focus on a specific instrument instead of feeling the music as 1 piece. but then again it's a matter of personal preferences.

May 31, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #8 of 15
The veterans, can you educate me on hybrid dynamic, BA, and pure dynamic? I'm honestly unfamilliar with what an IEM is 'supposed' to be.

Not repeating what buke9 posted, in my experience (this may vary with others of course), no BA driver can touch an excellent dynamic's bass impact and tonality. And IME, both BA (multiple or single) and dynamic offer that depth and soundstage you've been looking for. As for detail and clarity, the best BA will outperform any dynamic model or hybrid BA/dynamic model with the exception of Tia Fourte. However, good dynamic IEM can also offer BA quality detail and treble; it's just that BA sound a bit cleaner than dynamic IEM.

I settled with a good dynamic driver such as the CA Vega that I have as it offers clarity that the multi BA IEM offer while having that subwoofer bass in your ear canal. As a bonus, while it's a bass boosted IEM, the bass never bleeds into the midrange and treble.

May 31, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #9 of 15
Yes the Tia Fourte is all that just wished Empire Ears didn't have weather issues and made it to CanJam I would loved to hear those against the Zeus and Layla's and Noble Encores.

May 31, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #10 of 15
Hello, looking for some subjective advice on my little predicament here.
I've got a pair of beyerdynamic DT-880 250Ohm headphones which I've owned and enjoyed thoroughly since 2012. A couple weeks ago my left driver stopped doling out the goods. Got out my multimeter hoping it was just the cable, unluckily for me, dead. So here I am debating whether I should replace the driver, rewire everything with Mogami W2534 cabling and finish it off with a Canare F12 connector. Which will put be back about $90.

Driver - http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/522954-Beyerdynamic-963773
Cable - http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/240208-Mogami-W2534-BY-FOOT
Connector -http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/024451-Canare-F12

I would replace both drivers, but $120 isn't worth it to me. I'd rather put that towards a new pair of DT1990's (which I hope to do in the future anyway) but that's just not it the cards right now.

So my question is, how badly will replacing just one driver affect the sound? And whether you think it a worthwhile investment to keep them running, or whether I'm just wasting my money getting one driver. If you have any other bits of helpful information I'm all ears!

Thank you.

IEms and headphones have no soundstage per se. expecting headphones to sound like speakers is bound to bring disappointment.
in my bag of tricks, I would suggest to start with something that has a good deal of low end frequencies(so not ety ^_^). it can often help provide at least some little feeling of being surrounded by the rumble that's too low a frequency to clearly locate in space.
maybe try a bunch of crossfeed apps/plug-ins to see if subjectively it comes closer to what you wish to experience. in my case I feel like it can help to break the feeling I get from most Etymotic IEMs that the instruments are all on 1 axis going through both ears. the problem being that crossfeed relies on variables that depend on the size of your head, so what works great for someone doesn't have to work at all for somebody else. plus it's a simplified answer to the problem of using headphones to listen to albums mastered for speakers. so how it works really depends on how much your brain likes being fooled.
and in a very vague and not at all consistent idea, open headphones may tend to feel "wider" than closed ones, themselves "wider" than most IEMs. see this as a potential tendency, not as a rule! the cues to feel like a sound comes form a specific position in space is in the sound you hear, not in the device making them.

and of course a signature along the line of what some call analytical, might sometimes take the fun out of the music. when each instrument is too clearly defined it can reach a point where we lose the subjective sense of unity in the song because the ear is compelled to focus on a specific instrument instead of feeling the music as 1 piece. but then again it's a matter of personal preferences.
So there no soundstage in headphones. So everyone that thinks there is is totally delusional ?

Jun 1, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #11 of 15
or you simply don't think it means what I think it means? ^_^ to me soundstage is related to a room, and why not speakers in a more generic way. so of course I don't think headphones have soundstage. sometimes I say headstage (that I stole to someone else). it's like a term to meet everybody half way. it makes it clear enough that I find soundstage wrong enough not to use it in that context, yet it still seems to fit with whatever idea the reader had about soundstage. it's the made up word for forum peace.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #12 of 15
Fair enough.

Jun 5, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #13 of 15
So in looking at some of your suggestiosn its really sounding like the 1more buds would fit the bill. Currently debating between the tripple and quad right now. For regular laptop, computer, iphone, and android listening (un amped) which would best suit me? Is it impossible to get the full benefit of the quad without an amp and external dac? I currently have no interest in getting a DAC for my devices at the moment.

Jun 5, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #15 of 15
So in looking at some of your suggestiosn its really sounding like the 1more buds would fit the bill. Currently debating between the tripple and quad right now. For regular laptop, computer, iphone, and android listening (un amped) which would best suit me? Is it impossible to get the full benefit of the quad without an amp and external dac? I currently have no interest in getting a DAC for my devices at the moment.
Either is fine unamped. If you have the money I would definitely pick the Quads the Triple is no slouch but the Quad is better IMO. Better source is better for all headphones but these do not need anything special to sound good as long as the recording sounds good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back