Not often that I get to write a complaint letter (well, a legitimate one that is)
Jun 7, 2007 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Born2bwire

25+ Member ;-)
Dear Barilla,
I have been enjoying your products, specifically the spaghetti, for many years now. The cost effectiveness and pleasing taste have always afforded the strongest approval from me. This evening, however, I was greeted with the wonderful surprise of not only spaghetti in my Barilla packaging, but what appears to be flour beetle larvae. Both his spunky personality and ferocious appetite as he whittled away my enriched pasta food product, have stolen my heart. As such, I have embraced my new found pet and decided to name him, Tippy. A cursory glance on the internet reveals that upon reaching adulthood, I can expect to spend up to one to four years with my companion before his untimely expiration. Due to the fact that I store my spaghetti separate from all my grain products, in with my canned goods, I can only assume that your company was kind enough to bestow this gift upon me in light of my years of faithful consumption. However, I must express disapproval in the means by which you have delivered him to me. I would appreciate if you would be more candid about free prizes being included with your products so that I could better prepare for their feeding and care.

The form mail back to me has expressed their wishes to continue enjoying their products. Lord knows that they have given me the gift that keeps on giving, a new friend and other possible diseases and parasites. The real thing that's bugging me now is whether or not I can eat the rest of the spaghetti.

Tippy.JPG

Jun 8, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #6 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnoldsoccer4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you find him before you cooked the pasta or did he survive boiling?

I found him prior to cooking. I don't think that Tippy would enjoy a rolling hot bath.

Jun 8, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found him prior to cooking. I don't think that Tippy would enjoy a rolling hot bath.

An open flame is far superior, they get a nice crispy crust that is simply delicious!
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 8, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #8 of 37
I think you just caught yourself one of them Poke-ee-man.

Jun 8, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #9 of 37
Yikes, I hope I never find something like that in my food. Sometimes you'll get a second letter that isn't just a form letter, but usually you won't. I'd probably avoid them for a while, actually, I will avoid them for a while now.

Jun 8, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #10 of 37
Funny, one mans bug is another mans food. A colleague of mine brought a bag of honey fried silkworms the other day. Crispy and sweet!
tongue.gif

Jun 8, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #11 of 37
eek.gif
That's pretty crazy. I hope you get a few free (clean) boxes of spaghetti for that. Do you think that it could have somehow gotten in while at the grocery store?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you just caught yourself one of them Poke-ee-man.

It's pretty close.

weedle.gif

Jun 8, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif
That's pretty crazy. I hope you get a few free (clean) boxes of spaghetti for that. Do you think that it could have somehow gotten in while at the grocery store?

It's pretty close.

weedle.gif

Best I can tell, it's a flour beetle larva. The box is at most a month old which would fit as they grow into adulthood in about 6 weeks. So my guess is that there a few eggs in some of the flour used at the factory. I keep the spaghetti in a separate cabinet, so the only grains it could have come from is from the pasta.

Jun 8, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #14 of 37
They only cared enough about a letter than indicates a bit of an issue in their factory to send a form letter back?? Take your complaint letter and their reply to your grocery store - not for free stuff, but to politely request they drop that brand like a hot potato.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back