NOS tubes: nothing but hype? (longish)
Oct 19, 2002 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

arnett

Consigliere
NOS tubes = New Old Stock. Old tubes that have never been used and made in the ‘golden age’ of tube manufacture.

Modern production tubes = new tubes usually made in Russia, China, or the former Yugoslavia.

Issue: do NOS tubes deserve all the hype they get?

Based on the glowing reviews here and on audio asylum, I bought the recent production JJ 6922 to try in my Moretto HAP-03 tube headphone amp. I have 50 hours on them so far and I’m blown away at how good they sound. In fact, I prefer the JJ 6922 + stock EI Yugo 12AU7 combo over the NOS Mullard + Amperex combo I used previously. The JJ + EI combo is warmer, less extended in the treble (that’s a good thing with the Beyer DT 770), and more punchy in the mid-bass. Basically, the JJ + EI combo sounds like what I expect from a tube amp. The NOS Mullard + Amperex combo sounds ( . . .dare I say it? . . .) more solid-state.

I had a similar experience tube rolling the MG Head DT. I made the mistake of buying a very expensive matched pair of Brimar EL84’s. They were so bright and thin sounding as to be practically unlistenable. I preferred the modern production EI Yugo EL84. The EI Yugo sounded much more natural to my ears.
I had tried the Mazda Chrome Plate 12AX7 and a Mullard CV4004 but ended up preferring a cheap Chinese 12AX7 that a friend gave me to replace a tube in my guitar amp. The Chinese 12AX7 was sweeter in the upper mid-range and had greater bass extension.

To my ears, and in my somewhat limited experience, NOS tubes are bright. Often a bit too bright – especially with headphones. Also, NOS tubes generally seem to lack the body and warmth of their modern production counterparts. I can understand how the ‘treble boost’ effect of NOS would play well with speakers but with headphones it often seems a bit over the top. I have tried several NOS brands and four different tube types. To my ears, modern production tubes sound more ‘tubey’ and, as a result, are more fun to listen to.

According to what I read on audio asylum and elsewhere, NOS tubes sounded bright because equipment in the golden age (mid-50s to mid-70s) sounded a bit dull and thick. A boost in the treble was quite a desirable thing. But that seems not to be the case with modern tube amps. Nowadays, tube amps sound relatively quick and transparent (this seems to be the convention wisdom anyway). Thus, NOS can take the treble in modern amps over the top. And with headphones, which already have plenty of energy upstairs, this brightening effect can be downright fatiguing.

In comparison, modern production tubes sound a bit less refined (less air and definition) and generally have a narrower soundstage. But, in my experience, they have a more intimate and fuller sounding midrange and a thicker sounding mid-bass. I believe this matches quite well with headphones.

Now, I’m not saying all modern production tubes are great. I’ve never heard a Sovtek I liked. Of course, many NOS tubes sound like crap as well. But I think modern production tubes are getting better and better.

I highly recommend people try modern tubes before spending the big bucks on the diminishing NOS types. In short, don’t believe the hype. IMO, there are plenty of new tubes that can work just as well, if not better, than NOS tubes in any given system.
smily_headphones1.gif

[size=xx-small]Note: please keep in mind this is a generalization. I have not heard all NOS brands or types nor do I claim to be a tube expert. [/size]

Oct 19, 2002 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 20
Tubes are like cables-- it's all about their particular synergy with your particular chain of components.

No tube is going to transform a lump of coal into a diamond-- at best, all they can do is help "season to taste" an amp you already love.

The other thing that's distressing about NOS tubes is the reliability of your vendor. There are sharks and dishonest people out there (e-bay), and many of the best tubes are widely counterfeited,, right down to the box they come in! You have to take his word that they are really what he says they are, that they weren't removed from some ancient scrapped piece of military gear, totally fried and all used up, then dusted off, stuck in a vanilla white box and sold to you as "NOS".

The other issue is one of *value* and that's something we all have to define for ourselves. Some people think it's crazy to spend $50 on a pair of cables given the amount of difference they make. For other people, that line may be $500. NOS tubes are skyrocketing in value/price, because once they're gone, there ain't no more. And for many people, the really good NOS tubes are just too expensive to justify the amount of change they make.

My experience with NOS tubes has been very positive. I've been very satisfied with my tube-rolling experiences, but in general, I've gone straight for the tubes with the best reputations, and they are not cheap.

Mark

Oct 20, 2002 at 12:15 AM Post #4 of 20
NOS has the advantage... sometimes dramatically so.

Everyone who has spent time with the Team Head Six Pack can confirm that NOS need not be bright nor inferior to current manufacture. The tubes in the THSP are vastly better than any new 5751/12ax7 I have tried.

Perhaps the NOS types you used were not the best ones of that type.

Oct 20, 2002 at 12:52 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Tubes are like cables-- it's all about their particular synergy with your particular chain of components.

yeah, i agree. i've always wanted a tube amp to sound what i think a tube amp *should* sound like: warm, fat, and a bit rolled-off in the treble. perhaps tube amps never sounded like that, but i've always thought they did.

but i'm no expert. maybe we should be asking hirsch.
evil_smiley.gif

for that warm sound, current production always seemed closer to perfection than the NOS tubes i've tried. the exception is the mullard CV4004. but that was a tube from the early-80s and not quite 'golden age' NOS. and i think that's recognized as an exception.

Quote:

Perhaps the NOS types you used were not the best ones of that type.

possible. and i've only tried several brands -- but most of which people call 'warm.' people at audio asylum called that Brimar EL-84 warm.
confused.gif
i guess every tube will sound different in each particular circuit.

nick, if you do another THSP, i'll mail you my cheap Chinese tube so that it can be included and evaluated.
tongue.gif

but i think another reason people hype NOS so much is microphonics. apparently, modern production tubes are much more prone to this effect while NOS tubes are more impervious to it. of course, microphonics are not a problem for us.
wink.gif

Oct 20, 2002 at 12:56 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

i've always wanted a tube amp to sound what i think a tube amp *should* sound like: warm, fat, and a bit rolled-off in the treble.

Three words: Ear_Max_Pro.

Mark

Oct 20, 2002 at 2:42 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by arnett
yeah, i agree. i've always wanted a tube amp to sound what i think a tube amp *should* sound like: warm, fat, and a bit rolled-off in the treble. perhaps tube amps never sounded like that, but i've always thought they did.

but i'm no expert. maybe we should be asking hirsch.
evil_smiley.gif

If a tube amp sounds like a tube amp, I generally don't like it. Come to think of it, if a solid state amp sounds like a solid state amp, I don't like that either. I want an amp that appears to get out of the way of the music. So far, tube amps do a better job of that for me than solid state.

A stock Moretto with HD-600 sounds like a "classic" tube amp. Euphonic as can be. However, Mullard 6DJ8's moved it up in class, IMO. Tightened up the detailing and balanced the sound much better.

Alas, I'm not sure if the Moretto is available anymore. The transformer on mine is gone. I emailed David Moretto, and he's trying to get a replacement. The fact that he didn't have anything in stock may be a bad omen. If you want to take the long way to get one, you can order a HAP-03 from Radii Audio in China...

Oct 20, 2002 at 2:44 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch

Alas, I'm not sure if the Moretto is available anymore. The transformer on mine is gone. I emailed David Moretto, and he's trying to get a replacement. The fact that he didn't have anything in stock may be a bad omen. If you want to take the long way to get one, you can order a HAP-03 from Radii Audio in China...

what happened?

Oct 20, 2002 at 2:49 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

The other thing that's distressing about NOS tubes is the reliability of your vendor. There are sharks and dishonest people out there (e-bay), and many of the best tubes are widely counterfeited,, right down to the box they come in! You have to take his word that they are really what he says they are, that they weren't removed from some ancient scrapped piece of military gear, totally fried and all used up, then dusted off, stuck in a vanilla white box and sold to you as "NOS".

The other issue is one of *value* and that's something we all have to define for ourselves. Some people think it's crazy to spend $50 on a pair of cables given the amount of difference they make. For other people, that line may be $500. NOS tubes are skyrocketing in value/price, because once they're gone, there ain't no more. And for many people, the really good NOS tubes are just too expensive to justify the amount of change they make.

I buy a fair number of pulls (used tubes). It keeps the price down. IMO, if you're buying tubes, a good tester is essential. I don't care how reliable your dealer is, things happen. Even buying NOS, I've had to replace tubes sent from some of the most reliable dealers I know. A good dealer is one who knows a certain percentage of tubes won't survive shipping, and won't hassle you about the replacement.

Incidentally, in conversation with Rick at Virtual Dynamics, we talked a bit about tube rolling. He claims that cryogenic treatment of tubes pretty much eliminates brand differences between well-made tubes of the same type. Freeze 'em, and they sound the same. I must confess to a certain amount of skepticism on that...but who knows? Until I try it, I'm not really qualified to comment.

Oct 20, 2002 at 2:56 AM Post #11 of 20
Hirsch,
You are making my point for me.
smily_headphones1.gif
Bottom line is that buying NOS tubes is a tricky business and not for the casual audio enthusiast. Again, I've been "lucky" and have dealt only with established dealers who have tested my tubes. They've always been *exactly* what was advertised.

Hirsch,
Surely you, as the Grand Pooh-Bah of Tube Rolling here on this site, have more to say about how to make sure you're getting good quality NOS tubes?
wink.gif

Mark

Oct 20, 2002 at 3:13 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Hirsch,
Surely you, as the Grand Pooh-Bah of Tube Rolling here on this site, have more to say about how to make sure you're getting good quality NOS tubes?
wink.gif

I'm a rank amateur compared to people that have been rolling tubes for a long time. I've started to learn some of the hallmarks of different types of tubes that I buy. However, there's simply no substitute for this, or something equivalent.
bk747.jpg

Sometimes even absolute NOS (I've broken the 40 year old factory seal a couple of times) may not be good tubes. Test them. Then match by brand, and by tube within that brand. Batch matching may be as critical as brand matching, so learning date codes, or being able to spot small construction differences can be an art.

Oct 20, 2002 at 4:05 AM Post #13 of 20
I guess I'm really lucky...

I've bought nearly all my tubes off eBay; only one (a cheap and obscure 12AX7) was dead, the others perform beautifully. I also haven't encountered any mislabeled (albeit lots of misboxed) tubes...

Oct 21, 2002 at 5:15 AM Post #15 of 20
Not only do you have to beware of phonies, but of 95%+ of people who misuse the tagline "NOS". And in fact, there are very very few truly NOS tubes out there. Know what you're buying.

As for specifics, others have spelled it out. Tube matching is like anything else in your system. You have to make selections based on your gear's attributes.

As for opinions, any Mullard power tubes are to be avoided except for maybe the hard-to-find 10Ms... :wink:

FWIW

Brian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back